Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to join a summer league and need some advice...

Default Looking to join a summer league and need some advice...

I'm recently back into bowling and really enjoying it and decided I would like to join a summer league.

The last time I bowled in a league was when I was a teenager and I am pushing 50 now :-)

I am NOT a really good bowler. My average is climbing fast as I practice. I broke 200 for the first time three weeks ago and three times since then with my top score of 232. My average is about 165-175.

The problem I am having is making sense of the league flyer I picked up and picking the right league for me. I am not looking for something super competitive. If it's not fun, I'm not interested. I have narrowed it down to a few based on my schedule and eliminating ones that are not a fit (couples or youth leagues). Here is what I am left with and welcome your opinion.

1. Have a ball league: $20/week. 15 weeks and at the end you get to pick any ball in the pro shop. Standard drilling included.

2. Adult mixed league: $17/week. 14 weeks. Prize and pizza party on the last night.

3. Instructional league: $10/week. 10 weeks. All ages - Mixed.

There was a double date night with teams of 2. I tried to get my wife to join with me but it was a no go :-(

I welcome your experience and guidance.

Brian

Chats: 1

First if it says mixed you have to have at least one Guy or one Lady on the team. The 1st one is going to end up being 75% new bowlers that want that first "real" ball.
    The 2nd will be a lot of 21-30ish year olds that are there to have fun drink and eat pizza. half are in this league for fun the others for keeping skills sharp in the off season. but you always have at least one guy that is avg/bellow avg bowler that blows up with missed shots.
    The 3rd sounds like a short league that's more geared for bowlers that want to learn and improve.
    All three will be fun so picking what's right for you will comedown to How much you want to spend, how many weeks you want to bowl, and if you want a ball, Pizza, or instruction at the end of league.

Chats: 32

Have a ball leagues will often feature a mix of newer and more seasoned bowlers. Instructional leagues are usually more new bowlers. Adult mixed leagues can be either way some are very serious others not at all. I would ask the house about them. Summer leagues tend to be more laid back than fall leagues anyway.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

As far as "mixed" leagues gender doesn't matter. Can be all girls or all guys.

And the "free ball" leagues just like what Amyers said is a mix of new and seasoned bowlers. My first league was a free ball league and you had a mix of every type. But very laid back and fun.

I would vote for #1

And with avg of 165-175 you are a good bowler. To me a recreational bowler is 120 or below

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I would go with the first one. If you are getting into a new ball at the end would be a added benefit.

Thank you for your input!

I think I am going to go for the Have a Ball league. It's a great excuse for me to get a Storm Lock at the end of the Summer :-)

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    As far as "mixed" leagues gender doesn't matter. Can be all girls or all guys.

And the "free ball" leagues just like what Amyers said is a mix of new and seasoned bowlers. My first league was a free ball league and you had a mix of every type. But very laid back and fun.

I would vote for #1

And with avg of 165-175 you are a good bowler. To me a recreational bowler is 120 or below
    I thought all AMF "mixed" had the rule of at least one opposite gender. It's that way here has been at my local AMF house for as long as I have been around. He will just need to check into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Briantime View Post
    Thank you for your input!

I think I am going to go for the Have a Ball league. It's a great excuse for me to get a Storm Lock at the end of the Summer :-)
    Before you go committing to a specific ball at the beginning of the season, you'd better make sure that a ball that is that strong will work at your center. I know a whole lot of people who bought the Lock only to find out that it just won't work at a house with a whole lot of friction.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Before you go committing to a specific ball at the beginning of the season, you'd better make sure that a ball that is that strong will work at your center. I know a whole lot of people who bought the Lock only to find out that it just won't work at a house with a whole lot of friction.
    Very true and frankly, I think it's more ball than I need. I'll have 15 weeks to think about it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaescrub View Post
    I thought all AMF "mixed" had the rule of at least one opposite gender. It's that way here has been at my local AMF house for as long as I have been around. He will just need to check into it.
    Won't hurt. Could be a regional or local thing as I only bowl in mixed leagues and have had many teams of one gender

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast