Melee Jab Review

I got this ball for free, from Rob...had it plugged and re-drilled to fit my hand.

I actually really like this ball. It has it's negatives...but on many nights...it was the ball I felt most confident throwing.

Early on, I had it as the first pearl out of my bag...ahead of the Loaded Revolver....but later I switched it and used it as a ball down option from the Loaded Revolver. The reason has to do with it's strengths and weaknesses.

It's strength is it was more angular and stronger in terms of it's reaction to dry...than any ball I've ever thrown. Most of my balls have been older technology...so that may be the reason...but I would say this ball was noticeably stronger than the Storm Frantic I used to throw and the Brunswick Slingshot I had as my ball down option previously.

It's "negative" is the downside to the above 'positive'....it reacts violently to friction...so trying an 'up and in' on a THS...where there's too much friction on the outside...and the ball will react too soon....and either violently change direction too much (based on slight differences in hand position/release)...or will just lose energy and not carry corner pins as well.

That being said...I think this would be a good ball for longer patterns...wider patterns...maybe as a ball down option to something with more surface/cover/core....lower RG. I think it'll problematic on shorter patterns...and/or for bowlers with inconsistent releases.

All in all...even though I got mine for free....I think this is a LOT of ball for relatively little money. Most places were selling it for just over $100-$120. I think it goes longer than I'd expect given it's lower RG...and that's confusing for us "ball spec guys". But I did notice the ball is very porous...I'd get a LOT of oil out of it when de-oiling it in the dehydrator...and it's as skid/flippy as the Slingshot...but hit much harder. This is the first ball where I could move inside of center with my feet...and target inside of second arrow...and feel confident (semi-confident)...that even at my higher speed and lower rev-rate....the ball would make it back to the pocket.

Brunsiwick is making it very, very difficult for me to keep justifying using other company's products....every Brunswick I get and use...it just meets or in most cases exceeds my expectations. Not happy they moved manufacturing to Mexico... ...but I'm anxious to try some of the other Brunswicks I have undrilled waiting for an opening.