Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hello, old guy trying to learn the new stuff

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    I have read and watched videos, 20 years ago I threw a big hook, Now I'm afraid that at 13 mph with a 16# ball I may not be able to get it out enough. My pro guy Tom Daugherty said the hammer scandel is a big hook ball and I should drop to 15#. I can barley afford the 200. for the ball and if I can't control it I'm screwed...lol that's 139.00 and 50 to drill. I wish I can find a good used ball but honestly don't want to get screwed like I did with my used NVS.
    I bought a Dark Legend which is similar to the Scandal. It has the carbon fiber in the cover. Been using 16 lb. balls forever and my last few balls are all 15 lb. A 14 lb. ball might even be okay, but the Dark Legend rolls pretty nice. I'd have gotten a Scandal but thought it would pick up a roll way too early for me with a speed of 17 mph or so. If you're at 13 mph, I'd get something that skids a bit more than this kind of ball and save it's energy for the dry boards likely at 40 feet or so. You might want to try a Hy-Road or a Sky Rocket at 14 or 15 lbs. They both should get further down the lane and break nicely for you if you keep your hand behind the ball. At the release point just get your index finger pointing down towards the floor / lane. Then let your fingers and the ball to do it's thing. You'll be just fine! Good luck...

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    I bought a Dark Legend which is similar to the Scandal. It has the carbon fiber in the cover. Been using 16 lb. balls forever and my last few balls are all 15 lb. A 14 lb. ball might even be okay, but the Dark Legend rolls pretty nice. I'd have gotten a Scandal but thought it would pick up a roll way too early for me with a speed of 17 mph or so. If you're at 13 mph, I'd get something that skids a bit more than this kind of ball and save it's energy for the dry boards likely at 40 feet or so. You might want to try a Hy-Road or a Sky Rocket at 14 or 15 lbs. They both should get further down the lane and break nicely for you if you keep your hand behind the ball. At the release point just get your index finger pointing down towards the floor / lane. Then let your fingers and the ball to do it's thing. You'll be just fine! Good luck...
    yea like I said at my ball speed the scandel does scare me, but going to 14# also scares me. when I can't blow a 5 pin I get pissed. I don't know the new game and don't know if a 14 will hit hard enough. I actually have no problems throwing a 16 but I need a slow pace. when I bowl alone I take breaks between frames I am 100 lbs overweight 61 years old and also have back issues. when I bowl I look at hat my other seniors are using and if it fits I want to roll it but don't know if it's right to ask them

yea like I said at my ball speed the scandel does scare me, but going to 14# also scares me. when I can't blow a 5 pin I get pissed. I don't know the new game and don't know if a 14 will hit hard enough. I actually have no problems throwing a 16 but I need a slow pace. when I bowl alone I take breaks between frames I am 100 lbs overweight 61 years old and also have back issues. when I bowl I look at hat my other seniors are using and if it fits I want to roll it but don't know if it's right to ask them
    As you said, "I don't know the new game," and at a slow ball speed, an aggressive ball will lose so much energy that leaving a five pin is a common occurrance. The extra speed you'll gain from a 14 lb. ball will increase your power, not sacrifice it.

Yes, the Scandal kind of scares me a little, too.
    Regarding 14 or 15 lb. balls here's a link to a short article about it and he even mentions some of your concerns: http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.htm
    It's probably good to look at what others are throwing. Their ball might not work well for you if you don't roll it the way that other person is rolling it (e.g., speed, rev rate, etc.).
    I'm a bit older than you it looks like and I might be in a bit better shape than some. In retirement I've lost a bit of weight rather than gain it and I fight powering the ball down the alley. My backswing is way too high most of the time. When I returned to the sport (after a 30 year lay off), I think I often was muscling the ball down the alley at 20 mph. Today I've gotten down to around 17 mph or so and I'm happy I have as my ball actually hooks a bit now. Usually taking out the 5-pin. Hope this helps...

I'm 53 and I returned in late 2014 after a 25 year hiatus.

What I did was watch tons of videos on youtube and read articles about how things are today, and it can be daunting at times.

I use the DV8/Brunswick line (see below) and I have been more than satisfied with what they have, and I plan on adding another (Ultimate Nirvana) around the end of July. Their equipment fits me and my game like a glove, and my PSO (Johnny Petraglia, Jr.) certainly knows his stuff.

While we all endorse the brands we like, just be sure that whatever line you go with works best for your game.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Cranker

I started a new thread for myself since I have improved some. here's where I stand now.
    (Sorry for the confusion I do know forums I belong to many camaro and drag racing ones but at least I know what I', talking about on them....lol)

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...0-year-comback

Bowler

I often leave 5 pins or 10 pins. And I am rolling an 11 # rhino. It's more about finding the right line to the pocket and getting it there IMHO. Sometimes I need to look like itsabit high to carry the 5 pin and seeing where it goes after to know if the line is right. Often the wall of the house shot dictates that a lt. The house I'm playing seems to have 2 lines one around 2 arrow and the other around 3 but also seems to have a definite out of bounds out side of the 8 th board. as the ball will not come back at all.

Cranker

all helpful info, thanks, I will not go to a 14# ball, I hate leaving the 5 pin...lol. I just read a post and reviewed the motiv Freestyle. any opinions? If I spend 200+ on a ball and drilling and it don't hook I will be one pissed bowler. I do watch others and everyone is playing the outside line, anytime I try to shoot from the right I pull the ball. I need to ball to go out and come back

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12