Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hello, old guy trying to learn the new stuff

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default hello, old guy trying to learn the new stuff

I shot 190 or so 30-40 years ago before all this new equipment and lanes.. i am trying to make a comeback at 61 years old after back surgery. My approach sucks but I still have the roll. Issue is my ball isn't hooking ot hitting hard. Dam I am leaving the 5 pin....lol used to blow them suckers out. I have an older ebonite nvs. just today I did the hot water bath and will try again tomorrow. I am shooting 150-170 scores but with no real hook or carry. All fyi and any help will be appreciated. I bowl at Oakfield in Brandon Fl and Tom Daugherty owns the pro shop

thanks and Hi...Lou

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Hi welcome to the boards! I've bowled at Oakfield a couple of times and BCB too.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Cranker

I go on Monday mornings and Thursday afternoon for the dollar a game stuff. until I get my act together i'm not ready for compition..lol. I live right near Oakfield, maybe we can meet up

I bought three of the NVS when they came out because i thought the first one was defective. The 2nd reacted the same, and so did the 3rd. No matter the layout or surface the ball did not move much. Had a very mild arc reaction like an old Black Beauty Rubber ball. To me this was a huge disappointment coming from a reactive ball. So I gave one to an older gentlemen who had his bowling ball stolen. The other two I sold. The Total NV was a much better ball for me and moved much more and hit harder. I eventually started using Hammer & Roto Grip bowling balls and have had much better success. My point is that part of the problem is that NVS you are using...It is a weak ball!!!!!

It might work great for a two hander, or serious cranker, but for tweener's and stroker's there are much better options!!

You might want to try a new ball, such as a Storm Hy-Road or Hy-Road pearl. It's a great ball that will be better than the Nvs, and will hit harder and hook more at a decent price.

If you want to stay with Ebonite, then buy a GameBreaker2 solid....Very good bowling ball, much better than NVS anyday!!!!

But keep the NVS in case you need it for super dry lanes or short patterns as it is great for that when the Gamebreaker2 becomes too strong hooking too much.
    Last edited by Trex; 03-11-2016 at 09:31 PM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Cranker

thanks cranker, I don't care about the brand I just need to throw a hook, It's the only way I can adjust or really the only way I can bowl at all, as I said I'm new to all these different equipment. I read about so many different blocks and coverstock.

I went yesterday to try it after the hot water bath and opening up my tight finger holes but it must have been a holiday there was a waiting list at 10am. My house oakfield in Brandon Fl. had $1 games from 9-noon on Monday and thursday at 1pm
    Last edited by LOUVIT; 03-15-2016 at 01:43 PM.

I'm a senior bowler (63) with the same problem as you. Over the last 6 or 7 years my average has gone down from 200-208 in 2 houses to the 190's and this year forget it. Just couldn't seem to get a good consistent roll on the ball. First don't let anyone tell you your too old to try new things. If they don't work you can always go back. I have recently tried to keep my hand behind the ball more as opposed to the handshake style of release. When I do it correctly there is a world of difference in the motion of the ball. After shooting one of the worst series of my adult life 3 weeks ago I decided I needed to make a change. Went and practiced during open bowling and shot a 680. I attributed some of that to the lanes being dryer than during league play. My next league night I shot 643 (blew 3 easy spares). My next league night I shot 585 but missed 4 easy spares. On both nights the ball was rolling much better, with a bigger hook and much better hitting power. I have also switched to a Storm Gizmo from a Roby's wrist support. Have left the Gizmo in it's basic positions. You may want to try a heavier oil ball but that costs money. Good luck.

Welcome Lou,
    As others have mentioned, you may want to look into getting a medium strength, medium reacting ball, made for today's conditions. There are a lot of choices, from a lot of manufacturers, just read some reviews, and work with your pro shop owner to make the correct choice. Your pro shop owner also should be able to watch you bowl, and get some ideas of a layout which would fit your style and needs as well. Videos for the majority of the latest bowling balls also can be found on bowlingball.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    I bought three of the NVS when they came out because i thought the first one was defective. The 2nd reacted the same, and so did the 3rd. No matter the layout or surface the ball did not move much. Had a very mild arc reaction like an old Black Beauty Rubber ball. To me this was a huge disappointment coming from a reactive ball. So I gave one to an older gentlemen who had his bowling ball stolen. The other two I sold. The Total NV was a much better ball for me and moved much more and hit harder. I eventually started using Hammer & Roto Grip bowling balls and have had much better success. My point is that part of the problem is that NVS you are using...It is a weak ball!!!!!

It might work great for a two hander, or serious cranker, but for tweener's and stroker's there are much better options!!

You might want to try a new ball, such as a Storm Hy-Road or Hy-Road pearl. It's a great ball that will be better than the Nvs, and will hit harder and hook more at a decent price.

If you want to stay with Ebonite, then buy a GameBreaker2 solid....Very good bowling ball, much better than NVS anyday!!!!

But keep the NVS in case you need it for super dry lanes or short patterns as it is great for that when the Gamebreaker2 becomes too strong hooking too much.
    After the 2nd NVS, Why would you even consider buying a 3rd?
    Average =177 High Game = 249 High Series = 671
    Arsenal = Hammer 15# Burgundy, Hammer 16# Rythm, Track #15 Artillery Arsenal, Track 16# Tour SiC

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    I'm a senior bowler (63) with the same problem as you. Over the last 6 or 7 years my average has gone down from 200-208 in 2 houses to the 190's and this year forget it. Just couldn't seem to get a good consistent roll on the ball. First don't let anyone tell you your too old to try new things. If they don't work you can always go back. I have recently tried to keep my hand behind the ball more as opposed to the handshake style of release. When I do it correctly there is a world of difference in the motion of the ball. After shooting one of the worst series of my adult life 3 weeks ago I decided I needed to make a change. Went and practiced during open bowling and shot a 680. I attributed some of that to the lanes being dryer than during league play. My next league night I shot 643 (blew 3 easy spares). My next league night I shot 585 but missed 4 easy spares. On both nights the ball was rolling much better, with a bigger hook and much better hitting power. I have also switched to a Storm Gizmo from a Roby's wrist support. Have left the Gizmo in it's basic positions. You may want to try a heavier oil ball but that costs money. Good luck.
    when you say keeping your hand behind the ball do you mean thumb at 12 during swing and turning during release. that's they way I bowl. i read other stuff that says keep your thumb at 3 oclock. I can't do that don't have the strength I used to...lol

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by rkj4243 View Post
    Welcome Lou,
    As others have mentioned, you may want to look into getting a medium strength, medium reacting ball, made for today's conditions. There are a lot of choices, from a lot of manufacturers, just read some reviews, and work with your pro shop owner to make the correct choice. Your pro shop owner also should be able to watch you bowl, and get some ideas of a layout which would fit your style and needs as well. Videos for the majority of the latest bowling balls also can be found on bowlingball.com
    I have read and watched videos, 20 years ago I threw a big hook, Now I'm afraid that at 13 mph with a 16# ball I may not be able to get it out enough. My pro guy Tom Daugherty said the hammer scandel is a big hook ball and I should drop to 15#. I can barley afford the 200. for the ball and if I can't control it I'm screwed...lol that's 139.00 and 50 to drill. I wish I can find a good used ball but honestly don't want to get screwed like I did with my used NVS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast