Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: USBC Declares Motiv Jackal/Jackal Challenge Approval Revoked

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Regardless if someone thinks this is silly, there are guidelines the ball manufacturers agreed to go by when the USBC came up with them.
    Thank You.

And to all those that think it's silly...good luck explaining to a cop that being .01 over the legal limit isn't really over the limit. The "dumb move" (for lack of using a word that isn't more offensive) was Motiv making a ball with a 0.060 differential...when the MAXIMUM is 0.060. That's like a drunk person drinking enough to blow a 0.08 and then driving. Just because your handheld breathalyzer phone app reads 0.080....ya might not wanna chance it. Motiv played with fire and got burned. It was their fault...nobody else's.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Thank You.

And to all those that think it's silly...good luck explaining to a cop that being .01 over the legal limit isn't really over the limit. The "dumb move" (for lack of using a word that isn't more offensive) was Motiv making a ball with a 0.060 differential...when the MAXIMUM is 0.060. That's like a drunk person drinking enough to blow a 0.08 and then driving. Just because your handheld breathalyzer phone app reads 0.080....ya might not wanna chance it. Motiv played with fire and got burned. It was their fault...nobody else's.
    Being 0.01 over the legal limit is a violation, but being 0.001 over may not net you a ticket depending on the device doing the measurement.

If the device can only display 2 digits right of the decimal place, and internally it calculates your BAL is 0.081, the display is only going to read 0.08.

Since USBC arrives at the differential by measuring the 3 different RG values, you have to look to the accuracy of the device doing the measurement.

The device shown in the Ball Approval Process video includes 2 digit to the right of the decimal.

Since they average over 11 rotations, they can get a 3rd digit.

Remember, when it displays XXX.35, the real more accurate value not displayed could be anywhere between XXX.3450 and XXX.3549

Your output of a calculation can never be more accurate than the input the calculation uses.

It looks like USBC may be trying to squeak more accuracy out of a calculation than it has accuracy going in.

Banned

Thank You.

If Motiv designed the ball to have a 0.0596 differential, with Standard Deviation of 0.002, it would be 95.8 confident that all balls would be in the range of 0.0592 and 0.0600.

If however they wanted to be 99.7% confident they would have to design the ball at 0.0594 so the range would be 0.0588 to 0.0600.

The problem is, 0.0596 can be rounded up to 0.060, which is great for marketing, while 0.0594 gets rounded down to 0.059, which marketing likes a lot less.

So Motiv's error is probably a lot less than what some people claim it to be.

Now on the USBC side, the body who is supposed to protect the integrity of the sport, allows a bowler to compete with ANY differential, and long it is manufactured at or below the 0.060 limit.

If USBC has no limits on differential for drilled ball how exactly are they protecting the integrity of the sport?

As for someone winning a title on the PBA, there is no evidence that the ball in question that was used was manufactured above the 0.060 limit, and even if it was, that bowler getting that ball would be pure chance.

Manufactures deliver balls to the drill truck by crate loads, the bowlers don't go thru the balls weighing each ball to see which can give an unfair advantage.

I'm pretty sure I read comments from someone who drilled on the PBA truck that they went thru as many as 600 balls per event.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read comments from someone who drilled on the PBA truck that they went thru as many as 600 balls per event.
    Here you go (Could even be higher now):

A Look Inside the PBA’s Mobile Service Trucks
    by PBA Editor October 19, 2001

"At the start of the season, we may drill as many as 180 balls per day," Nolan says. "It's busiest after the long break. Players have new balls from the ball companies, or they want to adjust their game before they start competing."

"So we drill an average of 300 balls per week during the tour. We've drilled as many as 600 in one week."

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

As for someone winning a title on the PBA, there is no evidence that the ball in question that was used was manufactured above the 0.060 limit, and even if it was, that bowler getting that ball would be pure chance.
    ASSUMPTION ALERT!!

So again...that would be true...if Motiv ever said that the differential > USBC specified 0.060 was unintentional....which they have not...despite that logically being the FIRST THING they should have said.

The FIRST THING....not a day later....not after they met with their legal counsel...not after Aslan annoyed them with a letter....but in SENTENCE #1...after the balls' certifications were revoked....THAT is when the person responding says, "We are surprised at the results of the USBC testing and are presently investigating this matter. It was never our intention to violate any USBC specifications and if we have, we are sincerely sorry and will take every step to correct the issue that has lead to this problem." <-------DING DING DING!!!!

Instead...they wrote (essentially); "Yeah....the USBC tested our stuff....and that sucks. We are sad. If you bought our products....we'll try to help you out...while we spend the next week or so arguing with the USBC and trying to convince the PBA to step in....but yeah...."

As David Spade so eloquently put it when talking about people on the TV show "COPs"; "...guy is always the same....wife beater, Miami Dolphins shorts, cig, one flip flop.....NOT surprised there's in cop in your house..."

If your spouse goes missing and the cops show up at your house to tell you they found her body in the woods...

....the CORRECT response for an innocent person...is "What!? Are you serious!? Are you sure!? OH MY GOD!!! (insert crying and falling to your knees and praying and sobbing and being a total wreck).

...the INCORRECT response (again...if you're innocent) is...."Really? You guys found her way back behind that big tree? I didn't think you'd even look there."

How many times do cops pull over a drunk and say, "We noticed you swerving..." and the drunk responds, "Well...yeah....you'd swerve too if you just did 9 shots in an hour and a half...but why are you guys even bothering me...don't you have murders to solve?? Geeesh."

So, again, if you're ASSUMING they didn't know....despite them never saying they didn't know....then I suppose many of these random defenses might hold water. If you work off the assumption that Motiv DID KNOW....suddenly almost all of these defenses...they faaaaaaaade away.

Banned

ASSUMPTION ALERT!!

So, again, if you're ASSUMING they didn't know....despite them never saying they didn't know....then I suppose many of these random defenses might hold water. If you work off the assumption that Motiv DID KNOW....suddenly almost all of these defenses...they faaaaaaaade away.
    If you're the "jury" it's not good to base things off assumptions.

If you're the "jury" it's not good to base things off assumptions.
    My only assumption....is I have no assumptions...just going by what they chose to say and what they chose not to say.

Banned

My only assumption....is I have no assumptions...just going by what they chose to say and what they chose not to say.
    How do you go by what they chose not to say?

You think because they chose not to say that they cheated, therefore they must have cheated.

They also chose not to say you're an idiot.

They also chose not to say you're an idiot.
    Well, to be fair, they don't know me...I'm fairly sure they'd have included that if they knew me.

It's called logic. See...if you get caught doing something deemed "wrong"...from an early age...we are taught to deny it. ESPECIALLY...if we didn't do it. It's almost universally accepted...that when accused of doing something...that we did not intend to do...we say, "Oh....I didn't mean to do that."...we then...depending on the circumstances...CHOOSE...to either apologize for what we did...or we choose to stand by what we did and leave it at "it wasn't our intention".

Examples:
    Lets say I made a bowling ball...and the USBC spot checked it and found it to be out of compliance. If I did not know it was out of compliance, I would respond:

"This is the first we've heard of this. We apologize to the USBC and out customers and our athletes and are currently investigating to find out exactly what led to this non-compliance." I'd then follow it up with further re-assurances that I am doing everything possible to solve the apparent problem.

Now....lets say, same situation....but I sort of already knew...and maybe my athletes knew...maybe it was kind've a 'running joke' that the USBC never checks...so we played with the cores a little...whatever. My response would then change to:

"The USBC has made a ruling on our ball specifications. We are working on a suitable and equitable recall of these bowling balls. We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience and will provide additional information shortly."

See...in the last statement...I apologized...to the customers...who have to stop using their bowling balls...and return them. I also purposely did NOT say anything related to what I knew, didn't know, or who else knew. My hope in making that statement (the 2nd one)...is that the customers won't be too ticked off....and that hopefully...nobody else will ask any questions.

Where Motiv made their latest in a series of mistakes...is somebody decided to "test" the USBC. They were staring down about a $1 million dollar hit...and somebody in the board meeting...decided to speak up and say something like, "Why don't we meet with the USBC and convince them to re-certify the balls?" And somebody...thought, "well...it's worth a try." I mean, that seems reasonable given a $1 million dollar potential loss. But...all that did was poke the already annoyed bear. It made an issue that might have just faded away into bowling obscurity....stay alive...for a 1 week longer. All this time...people talking, people asking questions...

You claim it's absurd to judge them on what they "didn't" say...my question is simply...."why wouldn't they say it?" Why in the World...with all the time they had to prepare a response...what monumental incompetency could possibly lead them to leave out that ONE important sentence? This wasn't asking Donald Trump a question off the cuff that he wasn't prepared for. They had over 2 weeks to prepare a response...to fine tune it...carefully. There's only one conclusion that makes sense...which makes me wonder....why is it that only the "idiot" can see whats really going on??

The Final Four is almost over. Then we got the NBA and NHL playoffs and MLB opening days. Maybe the story stays buried. Maybe not. Time will tell.

Banned

There's only one conclusion that makes sense...which makes me wonder....why is it that only the "idiot" can see whats really going on??

Probably because only the "idiot" knows what he is making up inside his own head.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast