Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: USBC Declares Motiv Jackal/Jackal Challenge Approval Revoked

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Aslan: EVERY reputable PSO checks static weight legality on every ball he drills. If you have been to anyone to have a ball drilled who has not checked, DON'T GO BACK!
    The three different local drillers I have used all checked the ball before handing it over to me. I figured everyone probably did but I'm not surprised some don't ....

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Aslan: EVERY reputable PSO checks static weight legality on every ball he drills. If you have been to anyone to have a ball drilled who has not checked, DON'T GO BACK!
    Also if your going to a big tournament like the nationals, you get your ball checked before you go It saves you a lot of trouble.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Yes it's illegal going over 0.060, but some ppl really think 0.004-0.016 is really going to make a difference? A fraction???

Most can't even repeat shots, yet they are he'll bent in learning numbers, graphs, etc....lol also they don't even understand basic ball motion...

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Also if your going to a big tournament like the nationals, you get your ball checked before you go It saves you a lot of trouble.
    Also, if they don't fall within static weights specs, they will drill a hole in the ball to get it into spec while going through squad room and ball check. From my experience this is "typically" done during the Team event.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 204

I'm just saying...I've watched it being done. Now, the ONE ball I had drilled at K&K in Vegas...they "might" have done it because I had to leave it and it was done the next day...and their drill area is sort of off in the back...but I've had 3 other pro shop owners (not MWhite)...none of them measured to make sure the ball was the proper circumference...none of them put it on the scale before nor after drilling...I didn't even see scales in their shop.

I honestly think they figure nobody checks. How many bowlers even know there is such a thing as a "differential"? < 15%? How many of those know there are static weight requirements? < 6% total? I texted my league secretary about the Motiv thing...and my former teammate...and they both are absolutely AMAZED that I even know the Motiv thing even happened.

Again, I think Vegas is a different environment. So many tournaments go through there...it might be second nature to test the balls for static weights. But for most house bowlers...they just want a ball that "goes long and snaps", smells like blueberry muffins, has a name with A$$ in the title, and is Green or Purple. It's just a different World in Vegas....for LOTS of reasons....but even bowling.

But yeah, that's why I'm so picky about where I have mine drilled...because even though it was a royal pain in the rear to drive to the other side of Riverside to have Mike drill them...knowing there was a perfectly reasonably priced PSO at my home center...I still made the trip because I knew Mike would weigh them, check them, and do it the right way. And it sucks when you're someone like me...a 160-180 average newbie bowler...because if I ask a PSO "Can you check the static weights?"...they would give me a "look" and say something like, "That's a minor thing...I wouldn't worry about it at your level." I get eye rolls when going to pro shops and asking about things like RG or even cover stocks. Most pro shops are kinda just used to the average beer drinking league bowler....coming in wanting a 15lb Hammer or 15lb Storm ball...one that is "pretty".

You even hear stuff like that from Pros and Ball reps. PSOs sometimes get annoyed when you go in looking for a new ball and ask, "Why do you think this one would be a good fit?" They look at you like, "Ummmm....because I watched you bowl once and I own a pro shop and just shut up and buy it." You honestly think most PSOs have discussed and talked about specs as much as me, you, Amyers, Chuck, etc...??? How many pro shop owners know as much about bowling ball specs as you do? Even in Vegas?

First time I went into a pro shop to buy my first ball...he said, "What ya looking for?" I responded that I was finally going to get my own ball instead of using my Grandpa's hand me down." He asked what I had in mind...I said something around $80-$120...and that I was thinking of 15lbs because I felt like 16lbs might be too heavy. He showed me a Tropical Breeze and a Frantic....agreed that 15lbs would be best....drilled it in like 11 minutes...showed me how to throw it (fingertip)...and that was that. I had no idea balls even had a core...or what specs are or anything like that. There was no discussion about ball motion or why one ball would be better than another. And to be honest...that PSO was one of the better ones!

I tried to explain ball progression and how different balls do different things to that teammate that bought the Jackal back when I was on that team...and he thought I was hilarious....like I was just making it up. At some point ya just "give up" and just let people do their thing. If they end up frustrated because things aren't working....so be it.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I'm just saying...I've watched it being done. Now, the ONE ball I had drilled at K&K in Vegas...they "might" have done it because I had to leave it and it was done the next day...and their drill area is sort of off in the back...but I've had 3 other pro shop owners (not MWhite)...none of them measured to make sure the ball was the proper circumference...none of them put it on the scale before nor after drilling...I didn't even see scales in their shop.

I honestly think they figure nobody checks. How many bowlers even know there is such a thing as a "differential"? < 15%? How many of those know there are static weight requirements? < 6% total? I texted my league secretary about the Motiv thing...and my former teammate...and they both are absolutely AMAZED that I even know the Motiv thing even happened.

Again, I think Vegas is a different environment. So many tournaments go through there...it might be second nature to test the balls for static weights. But for most house bowlers...they just want a ball that "goes long and snaps", smells like blueberry muffins, has a name with A$$ in the title, and is Green or Purple. It's just a different World in Vegas....for LOTS of reasons....but even bowling.

But yeah, that's why I'm so picky about where I have mine drilled...because even though it was a royal pain in the rear to drive to the other side of Riverside to have Mike drill them...knowing there was a perfectly reasonably priced PSO at my home center...I still made the trip because I knew Mike would weigh them, check them, and do it the right way. And it sucks when you're someone like me...a 160-180 average newbie bowler...because if I ask a PSO "Can you check the static weights?"...they would give me a "look" and say something like, "That's a minor thing...I wouldn't worry about it at your level." I get eye rolls when going to pro shops and asking about things like RG or even cover stocks. Most pro shops are kinda just used to the average beer drinking league bowler....coming in wanting a 15lb Hammer or 15lb Storm ball...one that is "pretty".

You even hear stuff like that from Pros and Ball reps. PSOs sometimes get annoyed when you go in looking for a new ball and ask, "Why do you think this one would be a good fit?" They look at you like, "Ummmm....because I watched you bowl once and I own a pro shop and just shut up and buy it." You honestly think most PSOs have discussed and talked about specs as much as me, you, Amyers, Chuck, etc...??? How many pro shop owners know as much about bowling ball specs as you do? Even in Vegas?

First time I went into a pro shop to buy my first ball...he said, "What ya looking for?" I responded that I was finally going to get my own ball instead of using my Grandpa's hand me down." He asked what I had in mind...I said something around $80-$120...and that I was thinking of 15lbs because I felt like 16lbs might be too heavy. He showed me a Tropical Breeze and a Frantic....agreed that 15lbs would be best....drilled it in like 11 minutes...showed me how to throw it (fingertip)...and that was that. I had no idea balls even had a core...or what specs are or anything like that. There was no discussion about ball motion or why one ball would be better than another. And to be honest...that PSO was one of the better ones!

I tried to explain ball progression and how different balls do different things to that teammate that bought the Jackal back when I was on that team...and he thought I was hilarious....like I was just making it up. At some point ya just "give up" and just let people do their thing. If they end up frustrated because things aren't working....so be it.
    Even here in backwoods WV I've never had a PSO not weigh the ball. I did have one tell me once that the ball was only 1/2 an ounce over and that if I didn't want a hole in it he wouldn't as long as I wasn't going to nationals or anything. I had him add the hole.

I can believe that it happens though and I've seen way to often even good PSO's have a customer pick a high end ball that's not what they need and sell it to them with out saying a word.

One of the younger guys at the lanes where my pso is located just bought a lock. Poor guy was standing darn near on top of the ball return trying to throw it on older dry wood lanes. Told me he was thinking about buying an alpha crux next. I spent 30 minutes explaining how other balls might be better for where he bowls and his style to him. Seen him loading the alpha in his bag yesterday.

You can't waste to much time trying to cure stupid.

Chats: 204

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bd...legal-20160317

FINALLY!

A publication finally decided to report on this issue. It's really sad that bowling is so irrelevant...that even something like this, which is rather unprecedented in the last 50-100 years, gets no coverage. What does bowling need to have happen to get coverage? The requirement that all sanctioned and PBA bowling be in the nude? From now on, all tournaments, pants optional and topless??

A summary for those lacking the ability to read (NOT VDub)...or who would prefer not to read it for they feel it's a trick to get them to download a virus....here are some "new" points not previously disclosed in past press releases:

- “We will not be able to reimburse drilling fees.,"
    Cliff Notes: Your decision to GET MOTIVated....just cost you $55.

- "...but we will replace the bowling ball with a current model or a future release of the Jackal.”
    Cliff Notes: You do NOT get to pick any ball in Motiv's line to replace your out of spec Jackal/Jackal Carnage AND they are apparently working on creating a new Jackal...I'm assuming with a differential < 0.060.

- "...he (Motiv President Scott Wilbur) had hoped that the company would be allowed to correct the problem without “punishing all the bowlers” who purchased these balls."
    Not sure how you "correct the problem" without doing what the USBC did...ya can't change the differential remotely...but at least we know that while Motiv knows the problem is legitimate....they probably did push back a little bit at some point.

- “We will comply and will discontinue them,” said Wilbur, adding that the ruling will cost Motiv around $1 million."
    Patting myself on the back....I guessed $750,000...Motiv estimates around 1 million. Also shows that Motiv, despite being a small company, makes a decent profit if 1 million isn't a back breaker.

- "Wilbur said he was of the impression there would be no probation or fine."
    It sounds like, despite the fine/suspension listed in the USBC press release, Motiv feels that the USBC won't actually fine nor suspend them. I would guess that if that's true...it's because the USBC is just not in a strong enough position to drop the ganvil against an important ball manufacturer that is currently sponsoring the PWBA and other important events/initiatives.

Still no official word from the PBA. I have a feeling the PBA is taking a hard look at this and trying to balance their desire for Motiv to continue to be a key partner...while also trying to determine if their professional athletes knew anything about this and whether or not there was any intentional misdeeds/misgivings. Granted, I'm a bit disappointed in the PBA that they aren't at the forefront of this discussion. Other major sports, if Ridell or Wilson had a serious issue...I think those other governing bodies (NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL, etc...) would be out front reassuring the fans that they are looking into this. The last thing the PBA needs right now is the fans losing confidence that the competition is 'fair'.

Don't get me wrong...this is a majorly minor issue...some experts have even called for removing the static weight requirements altogether because they are so ultimately irrelevant....but this is probably the biggest story in bowling since Pete Weber's cocaine issues 30-40 years ago. I don't believe the USBC (or the older versions of bowlings regulatory bodies) has EVER in over 100 years de-certified balls of a major bowling ball company. This is even bigger from a historic standpoint than Bowlmor taking over the AMF and Brunswick centers...and Brunswick getting out of the bowling equipment industry.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Does anyone know how exactly the USBC found out?

FWIW, my PSO/house owner said he heard that an anonymous shipment was sent to the USBC.
    Current Average: 190

My Arsenal:
    Hammer Bad Intentions
    Storm Rocket
    Hammer Black Urethane
    Columbia WD Spare Ball

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    Does anyone know how exactly the USBC found out?

FWIW, my PSO/house owner said he heard that an anonymous shipment was sent to the USBC.
    Yes, a box of 4 balls was sent to the USBC with a note to "Spin These". I am sure USBC got a hold of more to confirm the testing.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Yes, a box of 4 balls was sent to the USBC with a note to "Spin These". I am sure USBC got a hold of more to confirm the testing.
    And the going opinion is one of the other ball companies did it. Because they have the ability to test the Diff.

There are those that think the whole "Spin these" comment gives you a clue to who, "cough" "cough" Radi..."cough"

If it is a company someone is wanting to play hardball, though it could just a PO'd employee.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast