Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do "subs" work?

Chats: 204

One league I was in, a 5-person league, each team was allowed a 6th bowler that was essentially a sub, but could only sub for that team.

The advantage of that was if the team needed a sub for sweeps, the 6th man could go. Other subs could not.

I completely forgot about that....I guess I did sub once...for a team as their 6th man...only 21 games....and I didn't sweep with them...but that's the only time I subbed and it was a league I had been in the season before...and only for that one team.

Well, after 1 full week of trying to sub....I've found;

1) I didn't get to bowl at all.
    2) Most of the time I had to remind the person at the counter more than once or they'd forget to even announce that a sub was available.

Went to the alley Mon, Tues, Wed, and Thurs to try and sub...never got asked. It was so defeating I just skipped Friday and didn't even both doing the Saturday tournament.

So, thus far, opinion on subbing is "PFFFFT!!!" < fart noise >

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

2) Most of the time I had to remind the person at the counter more than once or they'd forget to even announce that a sub was available.

Went to the alley Mon, Tues, Wed, and Thurs to try and sub...never got asked. It was so defeating I just skipped Friday and didn't even both doing the Saturday tournament.

Be a little more pro-active go by the lanes looking for teams with blinds and check with the teams directly. Don't rely on the desk.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Banned
    Chats: 68

Maybe you're not known well enough, or maybe you're too well known.

Chats: 32

I'm not sure the sub scene is as robust in the summer leagues as it is in the fall. I haven't seen a single sub on an of my summer leagues. You may find that you are better off to try and find a team or two that is missing a member and join the league. If your move is not certain anyway.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Cranker
    Chats: 0

In the day's gone by many, many years ago when it was the ABC sanctioned league it would be a blind and we'd use the average of the missing bowler in a handicapped league, the sub would just be a pace setter if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Be a little more pro-active go by the lanes looking for teams with blinds and check with the teams directly. Don't rely on the desk.
    I dunno....I'm too shy for that. I don't want teams to feel "pressured" into letting me bowl with them. I'm fairly confident that I could help them win...versus losing due to them having a missing bowler...but that's far from guaranteed. Thus far I've subbed 3 times in one league...the first week I helped them take 4 points. Then the second week...I at least led to them losing one point. And the third week, same thing...I helped them win 1-3 points...but probably lost them 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Maybe you're not known well enough, or maybe you're too well known.
    Good point.

But, fortunately...I think it's a "not known well enough" scenario. In 3 of the 4 times I've gotten to sub...a guy that knows me from the Saturday weekly tournament actually subs a lot too..and once a team asks him to sub (almost every night he shows up he subs)...if another team approaches him he tells that team that he's already taken...but they should ask me. He usually talks me up pretty good...which on the one hand puts some pressure on me...but on the other hand is kinda flattering.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

I sub the whole summer in various leagues just so I'm not committed to a league. It's free practice and give me more opportunity for bracket money . I'm fairly well known in the center I bowl so it makes it a little easier. Best thing to do if you don't know the league, or they don't know you is stand around the counter and wait for them to come say "put xyz as blind" then just ask them if they want a sub.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Make sure distance well known. I can't tell you how many times needing a sub will be found out last minute. Maybe see if you make up a little flyer if the center will let you post it.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Make sure distance well known. I can't tell you how many times needing a sub will be found out last minute. Maybe see if you make up a little flyer if the center will let you post it.
    That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. If I'm still in California for Fall/Winter season, I'm gonna make a little 10x12 A-frame with my picture on it, maybe some little LED lights around the border, that says something like "SUB AVAILABLE! Don't lose 30 pins due to an absent bowler!! See Aslan at the Bar!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast