Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do "subs" work?

Chats: 204

Default How do "subs" work?

This is sort of a quick/easy question...but how do subs work?

For example, I don't plan on joining a league next season because I'm anticipating a move out of State and I don't want to commit to a team and then have to bail on them. And I live 1.5 minutes walk from a bowling center. So I figured I'd just walk over on the nights I wasn't busy (most nights) and see about being a sub. I don't mind paying...that's not a big deal and each league sort of does that differently...but my main question is;

"Do I have to be IN a league at that center in order to sub?"

Like, if I have an active USBC card...pay my local and state and national dues...I can just walk into any center in the association on a given night and be eligible to sub??

If I got a Nevada/Las Vegas USBC card...could I sub in a league there while I'm there?

I've never subbed...that's why I'm asking these questions....figured it might be useful for others.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Around here anyway subs don't pay the league bowler they are subbing for pays. Some leagues just allow anyone to sub as long as they have a card some leagues here require you to be on the team roster. If your interested you would need to talk to the league secretaries or presidents to find out the rules for that particular league.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer
    Chats: 35

On my team we don't make the subs pay (although it's up to individual teams to decide), as we don't give them any of the money won at the end of the season. Besides, I feel like if someone on the team has to miss a week or whatever then they are still responsible for the financial commitment made at the beginning of the season (I practice what I preach as I'm on the shelf for the next month but will still owe the money for weeks missed...currently in a walking boot ).

In our league, they are required to have a current USBC membership to sub though.

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

around here subs don't pay, must have a USBC card to bowl
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    This is sort of a quick/easy question...but how do subs work?

For example, I don't plan on joining a league next season because I'm anticipating a move out of State and I don't want to commit to a team and then have to bail on them. And I live 1.5 minutes walk from a bowling center. So I figured I'd just walk over on the nights I wasn't busy (most nights) and see about being a sub. I don't mind paying...that's not a big deal and each league sort of does that differently...but my main question is;

"Do I have to be IN a league at that center in order to sub?"
    No, you just need to have an active USBC card in that association.

Like, if I have an active USBC card...pay my local and state and national dues...I can just walk into any center in the association on a given night and be eligible to sub??
    In that association, yes.

If I got a Nevada/Las Vegas USBC card...could I sub in a league there while I'm there?

I've never subbed...that's why I'm asking these questions....figured it might be useful for others.
    When you bowl in an different association than where you got your card, you have to pay association dues.

If that happens to also be in a different state, you pay state dues as well.

However the money that goes to Texas (National body) is only paid once per year.

The $21 or so paid back in August or September, is split between National, local association, and state.

Chats: 204

So, it sounds like I can sub if I want to.

The money isn't a big deal. Some leagues subs pay, some leagues they don't....no bigee.

My bigger worry is my average. I average 174 on Mondays in the only league I bowl in right now. But if they make me use my book average...then I'm a 190 average...which means I'm likely not going to help the team I'm subbing for much more than maybe making up the 10-point absentee deduction. Friggin easy AMF lanes.

Chats: 32

So, it sounds like I can sub if I want to.

The money isn't a big deal. Some leagues subs pay, some leagues they don't....no bigee.

My bigger worry is my average. I average 174 on Mondays in the only league I bowl in right now. But if they make me use my book average...then I'm a 190 average...which means I'm likely not going to help the team I'm subbing for much more than maybe making up the 10-point absentee deduction. Friggin easy AMF lanes.
    I sub some usually on Monday and Wednesday nights and each league I've subbed in has different rules for handicap. One used book average, one made you bowl scratch the first 9 games, and one used my average from another league in that house I bowled in.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

Aslan , I admire your commitment to team and not wanting to leave them 1 person down. I am the same way no matter how much I dislike my current center I have 2 more weeks to complete this league commitment then I am on to another house. BTW at our house the sub does not pay.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I've never heard of a guy, team, league or house that would make a sub pay themselves for a night of bowling.....unless there's a season-ending injury. We had a guy in my one league tear his bicep in a work accident, and a temporary sub payed for a couple of weeks until a permanent replacement could be found.
    Current Average: 190

My Arsenal:
    Hammer Bad Intentions
    Storm Rocket
    Hammer Black Urethane
    Columbia WD Spare Ball

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    I've never heard of a guy, team, league or house that would make a sub pay themselves for a night of bowling.....unless there's a season-ending injury. We had a guy in my one league tear his bicep in a work accident, and a temporary sub payed for a couple of weeks until a permanent replacement could be found.
    Years ago, we have 5 man teams, with non-roving subs, which meant you could have 7 people listed as members of the team.

Some teams rotated people in and out based on how they had performed the last time they bowled. They paid when they bowled.

My first year out of Junior leagues I was one of those subs for a team, but they had the 5 regulars pay, and when someone missed, I got a phone call.

The next year I was a regular.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast