Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do "subs" work?

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

One thing I have noticed is that teams that let someone sub and lose because the sub didn't bowl well aren't usually too happy lol

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Isn't there also pacing? Where as the person just bowls but their scores do not count they just bowl to keep an even pace. the team uses the missing person's average as the score. I know it was done way back not sure if they still do it.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    Isn't there also pacing? Where as the person just bowls but their scores do not count they just bowl to keep an even pace. the team uses the missing person's average as the score. I know it was done way back not sure if they still do it.
    I haven't seen that as much anymore. Only time I had ever seen that here was in a singles league

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    I haven't seem pacing since automatic score keeping came along.

Years ago I was down in Florida, watching a tournament similar to the ABT out west, and out of the blue I was asked if I wanted to be a pacer in the tournament.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    One thing I have noticed is that teams that let someone sub and lose because the sub didn't bowl well aren't usually too happy lol
    Yeah...it definitely adds pressure when subbing...because the last thing I want to do is have a team let me bowl with them and then cost them points. But, it's going to happen. I could have sandbagged the first week or two...to help the next couple teams...or I could bowl well the first week and hurt the teams the next couple weeks...the only way to mitigate that is to let subs enter with their sanctioned average rather than establish.

Pin Crusher

It is much better to get enough bowlers to have every team carry up to 8 bowlers on a 5 man team. Subs won't come in to the helping or hurting conversation. Mostly subs are for mixed leagues not mens or even womens leagues. At least around here. We will have an occasional pacer if someone is short and a friend or relative is visiting and wants to fill in. The other team must agree or you can't do it.

I don't think most teams trust subs. Good ones might be too selective who they bowl for and create hard feelings.

My team has 2 bowlers who rototate every other week and both pay half the season and if the 7th or 8th man bowls he pays nothing and gets on donations from the team. Last year our 7th bowlers was given if memory serves $125 or $150.
    Last edited by fordman1; 07-16-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    I haven't seem pacing since automatic score keeping came along.

Years ago I was down in Florida, watching a tournament similar to the ABT out west, and out of the blue I was asked if I wanted to be a pacer in the tournament.

lol in my day we had a pencil and paper and had it add it ourselves, nt even a projection screen above. If a team won by 1-5 pins we added all over again....Auto scoring has nothing to do with one team having 3 people and one having 4. pacing is to keep the lineup in stright. just this Wednesday I had 2 people and the other team had 4. i waited until they were done before I threw.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Pin Crusher

After double checking we only had 2 pacers last season. Both the last night so they could bowl doubles. We have points the last night with the roll off. Doubles paid $600 for 1st place. Anyone bowling had to have 21 games in to bowl that night.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123