Thread: New member--Hudson Valley, NY

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default New member--Hudson Valley, NY

Quick intro....decided to get into bowling after visiting gf recently out in Detroit area...Detroit is like bowler-heaven...so many centers....lots of really good bowlers, and reasonable prices.

Am 58...still in decent shape...some athletic ability....play golf, tennis, ski, cycling, and ex-basketball player. Never did bowling seriously as an adult. Was in a 6th grade league in 1971...house balls...no instruction...pure straight ball...I think my best was 163.

Went to see Lou Marquez at Detroit place out in Warren, MI, I think it was. Lou watched me, and fitted me up with a RotoGrip Wrecker, finger tip drill...bought shoes, a bag, some ball cleaner, and some microfiber towels.

Been out a few times with the new ball...inconsistent release...getting some "carry action" thru pin deck...no real consistent hook...I hinge the wrist down to shoot at spares and can do straight ball fairly consistently...picking up 7's and some 10's...obviously room for improvement. 140's and a 150 ....but inconsistency is big...tossed up a hambone and three or four turkeys. Ball speed typically 15 or 16, but can work it up to higher speed...but realize that this is a waste of time (and counterproductive, as velocity fights spin efforts) without a proper release and decent action on the ball.

Looking for coaching recommendations...I'm in Tarrytown, 25 miles north of NYC...Toying with idea of working with Michelle Warren at bowling ctr. (Etta Sills) in Farmington, MI...about 5 miles from where gf lives. She does video...and my aim is get a lesson or two, come away with decent suggestions on drills....one-step delivery ....then work back into full release with proper timing...maybe by end of summer I'll have a proper foundation to work on...meanwhile can work on spare shooting. I'm back and forth to Detroit on fairly regular basis.

Not sure my back will allow me to really achieve super high revs...am struck in lookin thru videos at how many really great bowlers did NOT use ultra-hook and got great results (Walter Ray, Norm Duke, Earl Anthony, Pete Webber), though I will admit to being amazed recently at seeing 13-ish not particularly looking athletic kid who looked like a miniature Jason Belmonte...he said he averages 220 or so...and probably does so on house conditions. Have a son who is 19, and who is a very good athlete ...I think if he were to take up the game the 2-handed approach bears looking into...kind of reminds me of when I played some tmt. tennis in mid-70's in wooden racket days...2-handed backhands were rare then...now they are probably the norm.

3-month goal: assemble parts of decent delivery, work on spare shooting, develop consistent, moderate hook....would really like to avoid buying a lot of bowling balls. I also play guitar and there is something known as suffering from "GAS"---gear acquisition syndrome---the idea that owning more instruments will make you a better player...I guess I'm a bit of a skeptic as far as equipt. is concerned...would like to believe, at least initially, that the "Indian" is more important than the arrow. (IN golf, still hitting my same set of irons from 1988.)

Been looking through posts, and see a lot to learn.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Welcome to the site!!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Welcome aboard. Get the coach and go from there. Nice that you have a plan but be flexible as a coach will usually see what you can't.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com