Thread: looking for a little help selection of a ball....

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Default looking for a little help selection of a ball....

I am considering getting a ball and trying again to bowl some this coming summer league. I stopped in the local pro shop and spoke with him for a bit and was hoping I could bounce some questions off of you all. Because of pain and shoulder issues I will be considering a 10 lb bowling ball. The pro in the pro shop recommended a scout. My question is this would a scout or a pair of scout cover spare shooting as well as a strike ball. I do not know any of the info as far as ball speed or pap or such. BUt was wondering if changing the surface of the ball would allow it to work on heavy oil if need be ???and would you consider a scout a decent ball in the 10 lb range.
    I expect that any ball that light is going to have a generic core...

Cranker

You're right in that most 10 lbs balls will have a generic core but the scout just has a regular pancake core so the core is no different than a spare ball except this has a low performance reactive cover. I personally think an Ebonite Cyclone would be a better ball to get. Ebonite uses the same core in the Cyclone regardless of weight so you'll be getting a better core and better coverstock with the Cyclone. As for a spare ball, I would get a regular plastic ball for a spare ball and save a few bucks over the Scout.

Chats: 32

I agree with Jason about the ball selection. Don't worry about the generic cores just don't buy an asymmetric and it really doesn't make a huge difference. You can add surface to the Cyclone and use it on a heavier pattern I wouldn't call it a heavy oil ball but most bowlers rarely see heavy oil anyway unless your playing in tournaments or sport shot leagues. Honestly at 10 lbs. your going to have issues my youngest daughters is the U12 State champion and throws 11 lbs. and her ball has a very heavy roll and she still struggles to take out the 5 pin on a flush hit. She actually carries better Brooklyn or light than she does in the pocket. If you can get up to 12 or 13 you would be better off scoring wise but I understand you've got to use whatever you can to make the game pain free as possible. Really any lower to moderate end reactive ball will work for you but the Scout is a ball I'm not sure why the really still make with the pancake weight block. Good luck to you and hope you find a way to enjoy the game.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmore View Post
    I am considering getting a ball and trying again to bowl some this coming summer league. I stopped in the local pro shop and spoke with him for a bit and was hoping I could bounce some questions off of you all. Because of pain and shoulder issues I will be considering a 10 lb bowling ball. The pro in the pro shop recommended a scout. My question is this would a scout or a pair of scout cover spare shooting as well as a strike ball. I do not know any of the info as far as ball speed or pap or such. BUt was wondering if changing the surface of the ball would allow it to work on heavy oil if need be ???and would you consider a scout a decent ball in the 10 lb range.
    I expect that any ball that light is going to have a generic core...
    Make sure your pro shop is aware of the rule variations that occur when you have a ball at or below vs a little above 10 lbs.

Above 10 lbs, you're allowed 3 ounces top/bottom weight, and 1 ounce side, finger/thumb weight.

If the ball after drilling weighs 10 lbs or less, (down to 8 lbs) you're allowed 2 ounces of top/bottom weight, and 3/4 ounce side, finger/thumb weight.
    Last edited by Mike White; 04-14-2016 at 01:36 PM.

Bowler

I am sure the pro shop knows the rules on the 10 lb balls.
    I spent a little time today throwing a house ball down the lane today. And had the pro shop guy watch me throw for a bit. Would you expect that he can get an idea of my ball speed from just watching me ?

the new brunswick rhino coming out has the same lightbulb core at all weights

Bowler

1) So next ball i should ask for a 10# 5 ounce ball to be safe.
    2) as per conversation with a brunswick rep. The lightbulb core is only in 12 # and up.

I am not as knowledgable as some of your other posters, but I do own a Ebonite Cyclone and I love it. Versatile, and a great ball for the money in my opinion.

Chats: 4

I'll have to agree with some of the other posters here on the
    Cyclone you can not go wrong with it as it is a very versatile
    ball. With a little lower surface it works pretty good on medium
    heavy oil and with a higher surface it is good on light oil also.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill