Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowling on TV

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

baker bowling is a blast
    try it sometime if you haven't

I like the odd format tourneys, and think they should find ways to have more
    I prefer semis and finals over step ladder, but thats just me
    would be nice to see a mix
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Chats: 0

I like the Baker format, personally. It gives you the ability to see 10 pros at the same time plus you get to see how 10 guys attack the same oil pattern 10 different ways. I would like to see a game of 5 on 5 play full games, scratch series wins.

Ringer
    Chats: 23

All I took away from this thread was that no matter what the PBA does, someone will complain. They try to do something other than singles and people complain. Why don't you just enjoy the fact that it is on TV?

I too hate Randy but at this point I don't see them getting rid of him so I just ignore him. I also subscribe to xtraframe and will watch during the week when they have live events. Usually I know more of what happened and background info than he cares to mention. If you haven't subscribed to xtraframe I would say give it a try and watch. The during bowling banter is a bit different being during the week. You will get more back stories and more about each player and some information on the no-names in the field. They will also have special guests from time to time that stop in and talk during the qualifying. Usually some players or ball reps.

I would say if you do try xtraframe pick it up for the World Series of Bowling. Roughly 9 to 10 days of coverage going all day long.

Lastly, I would like to see them expand the PBA League and do a few months of shows out of it. As it stands now the draft teams in December to bowl for a weekend in April. They should use the time in between to have teams qualify. Open it up to 12 or 16 teams and let the top 6 or 8 battle it out in the playoffs.
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Yeah, I have no problem with the league. It's a little more low key and obviously everyone's having a good time, which is great compared to the more serious side of singles stepladders. I don't mind Baker format. I have a bigger issue with the seemingly random scoring rules in place in some of the tournaments (i.e. the automatic 30 for a strike, 10 frames only).

As for commentary, I usually listen on mute while I'm on a treadmill lol. There's a reason for that

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    I like the Baker format, personally. It gives you the ability to see 10 pros at the same time plus you get to see how 10 guys attack the same oil pattern 10 different ways. I would like to see a game of 5 on 5 play full games, scratch series wins.
    Yep, I like the league setup. I like seeing multiple pros throw the ball and having fun at the same time. The alternative is no bowling on TV. I'll take bowling vs no bowling.

Cranker

The league games are fun but to me is it really a league when it's only one weekend? It's really just a tournament. Personally, since they've assigned cities to each team, they should all bowl in each of the home cities that way it would be a true 8 week league. Plus instead of just the baker format, they do a true 3 games series 5 man team like a real league.

Yeah it's a tournament. I don't think the bowlers have any ties to the actual cities (NY, LA, Philadelphia, etc)

I believe in past years they did have a 1vs1, 3vs3, and team baker.

Ringer
    Chats: 23

In the finals in a couple weeks you will see singles, alternate doubles, trios and a team baker.
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    The league games are fun but to me is it really a league when it's only one weekend? It's really just a tournament. Personally, since they've assigned cities to each team, they should all bowl in each of the home cities that way it would be a true 8 week league. Plus instead of just the baker format, they do a true 3 games series 5 man team like a real league.
    I would love to see something like this. Have a local center donate the lanes and lodging for a one night set for all teams to bowl at. Every team every in every city an 8 game league. In the 9th week the week before the Masters or some other major have the final position round. Have every team get sponsors to put up money for travel and lodging. Get GM or Ford to sponsor.
    What a hoot that would be. It would be interesting to see an avg. sheet and all stats. How many 800's or 700's etc. League bowlers could relate to something like that. That baker stuff is High school or College rah rah stuff. Make it for serious money.
    NOT LIKING THE BAKER SHOWS DOES NOT MAKE ONE A PBA HATER JUST A BAKER HATER.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I would love to see something like this. Have a local center donate the lanes and lodging for a one night set for all teams to bowl at. Every team every in every city an 8 game league. In the 9th week the week before the Masters or some other major have the final position round. Have every team get sponsors to put up money for travel and lodging. Get GM or Ford to sponsor.
    What a hoot that would be. It would be interesting to see an avg. sheet and all stats. How many 800's or 700's etc. League bowlers could relate to something like that. That baker stuff is High school or College rah rah stuff. Make it for serious money.
    NOT LIKING THE BAKER SHOWS DOES NOT MAKE ONE A PBA HATER JUST A BAKER HATER.
    I don't think this idea is going to fly... Can't even get those guys to sponsor PBA events. All they get are Denny's or Lumber Liquidators

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast