Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: serious mental problem

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

Try to get someone to tape you when you practice and in competion. It has helped me. Sometimes I would do all kinds of strange things under pressure

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by kitbash View Post
    i dont actually worry about score when i practice, the scoreboard is always on and i use it as a gauge at the end of the session to see how i did. ie: statistics, spares, opens, strikes
    mechanics are definitely better during practice and i get a more fluid ball roll, i think i am forcing too much on league night. just cant find a way to reset the mental block and sort it out
    I suspect that when you get to league you're focusing on results as opposed to practice where the focus is just on good technique. Perhaps more focus on making good deliveries in league and figuring a way to add some mental pressure in practice would help.
    John

When I'm able to get out and practice, one of the things I do often is working on picking up the 7 and 10 pins as single pins.

For those of us who are righties, the 10 pin is a killer (7 for lefties), and the many misses we have with that pin, making it more often could bring our averages up 15-20 pins.

Remember the old saying - Strikes for show, spares for dough.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Kitbash..... Oh boy where do I start. I have your evil twin here in Florida that's doing the same things and working with him is giving me an excedrin headache. Same symptoms, shoots great in practice, lousy in competition. I get texts all of the time after he practices; just shot 640, just shot 245, etc. Here's my take on this. When you're practicing, and several of the people before have had good explanations, you're much more relaxed. You get into the league and everything begins to tighten up, muscles, and your mind starts going crazy trying to figure out what's going on and why, and it gets worse as the league night goes on. I believe on some level we've all been there, so don't think you're the only person this happens to.

A remedy ? Too simple. Here's the best and only thing I can recommend you try, and that's to relax on league night. You're putting way too much pressure on yourself, and that pressure is interfering with the muscle memory your brain and body already has. I always tell my students this; when you're standing at the ball return and BEFORE you pick up your ball, take a deep breath through your nose, hold for a few seconds and exhale through your mouth. Even if you do this while you're reading this, you'll feel the difference. Once you get set and just before you take your first step do it again. Do not worry about taking too much time. It's more important you take the extra sec on or so to relax. Don't rush the shot.

Now also, to agree with one of the other commentors, you need to stop thinking on the approach. Think of it this way. It's YOU, the BALL, and the TARGET. That's it. Trust your muscle memory to work automatically (because you do practice enough so I wouldn't believe you'd fall all over you feet) and Trust your ball. All of your thinking MUST be done before you step up on the approach, where you're going to stand, what ball you'll use, what target you'll look at, and even if you'll be changing your hand position on this next shot. That's all done before you get there.

Now I presume you're saying, Well that's easy to just say, and yes, I'm aware of that. After being a coach for close to 40 years, I've encountered probably every imaginable problem a bowler
    can have, and had to figure out some crazy things. Simplify your game. You are overthinking when you get up on the approach, and that's why the breathing to relax you might help. Try these when you practice this week and see if it helps. In practice, you're not bowling for score, you're bowling for shot repeatability. And that's what you can bring to your league with you, repeatability.

Good Luck, let me know if it helps. The only other thing I could suggest is to find a local coach, preferably a USBC Certified Coach, and work with them.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

I get tense on league night. It usually takes me 2 frames to calm down and I have been bowling for 28 years. After 2 frames I concentrate onthrowing a good shot one frame at a time. The biggest culprit when tension is in you is you will grip the ball harder to try and control it more.Bad idea. A tight grip will raise your thumb knuckle which will cause the ball to hang up at release and give you pulled shots. If you are using
    a fingertip ball you would be surprised at how lightly you can hold the ball without having it drop off your hand early. Focus on a light grip and keeping your thumb flat inside the hole. A light grip with the thumb will let the thumb come out quickly which will let the fingers come out last and put good revs on the ball without hitting up on it with the fingers. Remember to RELAAAAX!
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Cranker

My first league in 25 years and it's a afternoon senior league and I am not crazy about the people I bowl with....What do I do with that? I can't quit. So I try to concentrate on my game but when you have to search for the person before you how do you cope? i was scared to bowl on a real night league but now I second guess that. At least they are serious. After 3 weeks I averaged 140 on the league. when I bowl alone I shoot 180's. Last week I shot I averaged 170 in the league. i guess I am saying Screw the team.... this is practice for me. I've never bowled in a league with strangers...
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    Kitbash..... Oh boy where do I start. I have your evil twin here in Florida that's doing the same things and working with him is giving me an excedrin headache. Same symptoms, shoots great in practice, lousy in competition. I get texts all of the time after he practices; just shot 640, just shot 245, etc. Here's my take on this. When you're practicing, and several of the people before have had good explanations, you're much more relaxed. You get into the league and everything begins to tighten up, muscles, and your mind starts going crazy trying to figure out what's going on and why, and it gets worse as the league night goes on. I believe on some level we've all been there, so don't think you're the only person this happens to.

A remedy ? Too simple. Here's the best and only thing I can recommend you try, and that's to relax on league night. You're putting way too much pressure on yourself, and that pressure is interfering with the muscle memory your brain and body already has. I always tell my students this; when you're standing at the ball return and BEFORE you pick up your ball, take a deep breath through your nose, hold for a few seconds and exhale through your mouth. Even if you do this while you're reading this, you'll feel the difference. Once you get set and just before you take your first step do it again. Do not worry about taking too much time. It's more important you take the extra sec on or so to relax. Don't rush the shot.

Now also, to agree with one of the other commentors, you need to stop thinking on the approach. Think of it this way. It's YOU, the BALL, and the TARGET. That's it. Trust your muscle memory to work automatically (because you do practice enough so I wouldn't believe you'd fall all over you feet) and Trust your ball. All of your thinking MUST be done before you step up on the approach, where you're going to stand, what ball you'll use, what target you'll look at, and even if you'll be changing your hand position on this next shot. That's all done before you get there.

Now I presume you're saying, Well that's easy to just say, and yes, I'm aware of that. After being a coach for close to 40 years, I've encountered probably every imaginable problem a bowler
    can have, and had to figure out some crazy things. Simplify your game. You are overthinking when you get up on the approach, and that's why the breathing to relax you might help. Try these when you practice this week and see if it helps. In practice, you're not bowling for score, you're bowling for shot repeatability. And that's what you can bring to your league with you, repeatability.

Good Luck, let me know if it helps. The only other thing I could suggest is to find a local coach, preferably a USBC Certified Coach, and work with them.

lol I almost thought you were talking about me Bob until I read the scores... I need to either sub or join a real league where people care and see if that's my issue...why do I shoot 180's by myself and average 145 on the league after 3 weeks. TB bob is a great coach and when I bowl with him i see that...
    Last edited by LOUVIT; 09-30-2016 at 06:58 PM.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

I understand at times people think I have mental problems roo

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Pre-shot routine as ClassyGranny described. It's not just for competition. Every shot no matter where or when it is HAS TO INCLUDE THE PRE-SHOT ROUTINE! This is the cornerstone of the beginning of the mental game. This routine lets your mind and body relax because due to the repititions it becomes familiar. Let's the mind know "hey, we've been here before. We got this." Pick one thing to focus on while on the approach albeit staring down your target, thinking slow feet, quality shot whatever fits your needs. Keep all self-talk and thoughts positive. The mind will only focus on the verb for example "Don't pull the ball" will inevitably lead to pulling the ball. I have one athlete that just thinks "smooth" and has for years. He maybe the smoothest bowler I've ever seen even on television. Another suggestion that was made by Team USA sports psychologist Dean Hinitz, tell yourself "I am an athlete. I'm here. I'm ready. My time is now." when talking to the Junior Team USA bowlers.

The mental game isn't just don't think. It's how and what to think when. You want to be a champion then think like a champion. Leave the self-doubt at home or the car. Your opponent is the person on the other lane, your true opponent is yourself. You can't control what the other person does. You can't control anything that happens AFTER you let go of the ball.

While I'm on my soapbox, you gave feet and target in a way that implies that is where you always stand and aim. The lanes dictate where to play to the bowler. The bowler doesn't dictate to the lanes. Most centers as so bone a$$ dry during open bowling almost any miss right will make it back. That's not purposeful practice. That's hanging out with a friend and rolling a ball down the lane. The drills and techniques utilized during a purposeful practice drive the competition scores. Personal performance goals should be set. Examples: from today to the end of the month make 90% of all single pin spares. Stay down on 90% of all shots for the same time period. Now the action plan. What do you need to do to make these goals a reality? Practice two sessions a week, one hour each on single pin spares. Two sessions a week, half hour each one step drills. Write all this down. Hold yourself accountable. Track progress. Didn't attain a goal? Did you stick to the action plan? No----there's a place to start. Yes---were the goals too lofty? Yes---Revamp goals No----take unbiased view of why you didn't attain that goal.
    ***Notice I say didn't attain. Fail/failure is a negative word. This is especially true if you truly are trying your best.
    There is no failure in getting beat. There is only failure if you don't show up-Bill Freitas
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    My first league in 25 years and it's a afternoon senior league and I am not crazy about the people I bowl with....What do I do with that? I can't quit. So I try to concentrate on my game but when you have to search for the person before you how do you cope? i was scared to bowl on a real night league but now I second guess that. At least they are serious. After 3 weeks I averaged 140 on the league. when I bowl alone I shoot 180's. Last week I shot I averaged 170 in the league. i guess I am saying Screw the team.... this is practice for me. I've never bowled in a league with strangers...
    As they say strangers are just friends you haven't met yet (or something like that) I joined a league last year without really knowing anyone, I knew a few of them in passing but that was it, now after about a year bowling in the league there are quite a few that I'm pretty good friends with, if I can do it so can you! As you get comfortable with the people you will be less tense and able to relax and throw some better games. When it comes right down to it the vast majority of folks involved in bowling are good people, just stay clear of the hot heads that you run across and ignore whatever they say to or about you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast