Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil and your local house

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_pocket View Post
    Well if you think about it good scores do make for happy bowlers but if your goal is to get better, and I feel I can speak for alot of bowlers who bowl on patterns, the owner who says he wants people to earn their scores is how we feel. Plus a good bowler can adjust to whatever is down and it never hurts to learn how to bowl on different amounts of oil because you never know what your going to get.
    yes but think of how discouraging it is for those just learning or new to the sport. if my houses were dry as the sahara at practice time while i was growing up i would have probably walked away from the game. has to be more discouraging than it is helpful. those making the conversion from conventional grip to fingertip, get the release down , hit every mark they should and overhook during practice.

in my view i think they would do better if practice was exactly that.
    practice throwing the same shot we throw on league night, instead of having to play 5 deeper on the approach and having to add speed to even hit the pocket.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

My center is all over the place as far as timing, but they're always oiled before leagues at some point.
    Current Average: 190

My Arsenal:
    Hammer Bad Intentions
    Storm Rocket
    Hammer Black Urethane
    Columbia WD Spare Ball

Chats: 32

I bowl mainly in three houses here:

House#1 oils every morning every lane and then oils again the league pairs before every league. The have synthetic lanes and a newer oiling machine.

House#2 Oils the league pairs before league but may run only the heads or maybe the entire lane has two oiling machines both look like something out of a bad science fiction novel older wood lanes.

House#3 oils before leagues but the do move around where the leagues are so the entire house gets used at least every other day. has a newer oiling machine.

You can guess which house has the most consistent patterns down and I tend to practice more at house 1 even though I really don't like it there as much.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

The two houses I bowl in regularly oil before leagues. To my knowledge, they don't generally oil for open bowling.
    Average: 190, High Game: 285, High Series 718
    In the bag: Radical More Cash, Track Paradox Pearl, Track Tundra, Storm Super Natural

I don't practice where I bowl league because they oil Thursday for our league then don't touch them until Monday night. There are a few other places around that oil before the practice times they have. One even puts out a few lanes of sport conditions of you want.

Quote Originally Posted by kitbash View Post
    i have 2 different lanes, both about the same distance from my house.

1 lets employees in an hour early and they oil the lanes before they open every day

2 only oils directly before leagues are due on the lanes and they only oil the lanes that the leagues will be on.

when i go to practice at #2i have to figure out what lanes were oiled the night before so atleast i can get a bit down the lane before the ball left hooks past the head pin

now here is the question...

how often to they oil the lanes at your local houses??

it would seem to me that house number 1 is more catered to the actual bowlers. always making sure the lanes are oiled gives a better shot, better shot = better scores = happier bowlers, more willing to return there again to see if they can keep up bowling well.

i asked house number 2's owner why he doesnt oil daily and was told " i want people to earn their scores here "

dunno...not my idea of fun if i have to throw out my arm to make it to the right hand side of the headpin, less likely to drop money or time in a house where being consistent depends on if you want to throw your spare ball as your strike ball on practice day then move to your normal ball of choice on league night.
    I go to a number of houses in the area and always ask when they were piled last. One house barely oils and when they do its garbage. Other houses are more reputable and have more consistency from what I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by bnaidicz13 View Post
    I go to a number of houses in the area and always ask when they were piled last. One house barely oils and when they do its garbage. Other houses are more reputable and have more consistency from what I've found.
    Post your locations, and just maybe it will get back to the bowling center and help them to reconsider their position.

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Post your locations, and just maybe it will get back to the bowling center and help them to reconsider their position.
    Do you seriously think BowlMor would really care even if it did get back to them? We complain directly to the manager and nothing changes.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Damn Granny, you're all fired up today!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Do you seriously think BowlMor would really care even if it did get back to them? We complain directly to the manager and nothing changes.

I refuse to bowl a league in an AMF/Bowlmor house. They just do not care about the league bowlers. In my area, when Bowlmor took over, they kicked leagues out essentially. Now, they have had a change of heart and want league bowlers back. They thought they could survive solely on open bowling and it back fired on them. Instead of having consistent revenue coming in, on not just the lineage, but the bar and food sales, they went for the bigger potential open bowler revenue. No thanks.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast