Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil and your local house

Default Oil and your local house

i have 2 different lanes, both about the same distance from my house.

1 lets employees in an hour early and they oil the lanes before they open every day

2 only oils directly before leagues are due on the lanes and they only oil the lanes that the leagues will be on.

when i go to practice at #2i have to figure out what lanes were oiled the night before so atleast i can get a bit down the lane before the ball left hooks past the head pin

now here is the question...

how often to they oil the lanes at your local houses??

it would seem to me that house number 1 is more catered to the actual bowlers. always making sure the lanes are oiled gives a better shot, better shot = better scores = happier bowlers, more willing to return there again to see if they can keep up bowling well.

i asked house number 2's owner why he doesnt oil daily and was told " i want people to earn their scores here "

dunno...not my idea of fun if i have to throw out my arm to make it to the right hand side of the headpin, less likely to drop money or time in a house where being consistent depends on if you want to throw your spare ball as your strike ball on practice day then move to your normal ball of choice on league night.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

The house I bowl in oils an hour before every league.

I rotate between 5 houses all within 15 min of home and all of them only oil before leagues. The only exception is one house oils all lanes Sunday morning for open bowling at which time all there league bowlers practice and every lane is full for 3 hours.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1977 View Post
    I rotate between 5 houses all within 15 min of home and all of them only oil before leagues. The only exception is one house oils all lanes Sunday morning for open bowling at which time all there league bowlers practice and every lane is full for 3 hours.
    Wish we had 5 houses in the Bronx.
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Well if you think about it good scores do make for happy bowlers but if your goal is to get better, and I feel I can speak for alot of bowlers who bowl on patterns, the owner who says he wants people to earn their scores is how we feel. Plus a good bowler can adjust to whatever is down and it never hurts to learn how to bowl on different amounts of oil because you never know what your going to get.
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Cranker

My local house is a Brunswick Zone and I've only seen them oil before leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_pocket View Post
    Well if you think about it good scores do make for happy bowlers but if your goal is to get better, and I feel I can speak for alot of bowlers who bowl on patterns, the owner who says he wants people to earn their scores is how we feel. Plus a good bowler can adjust to whatever is down and it never hurts to learn how to bowl on different amounts of oil because you never know what your going to get.
    I'm 53 and I was away from bowling for 25 years. Now that I'm back and see the drastic changes, I want to get better all of the time. So, right after my winter leagues are over I'll be doing a PBA Challenge League.

I know my scores will be 30-40 below what I bowl now, but it's a challenge I want to take on. Not to mention I'll be bowling in a Regional Tournament here towards the end of the year.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Blog Entries

the lanes i go to are always oiled before every league game. I love tough conditions during league. they make you better for tournaments. it can get frustrating but it really exposes your pitfalls

Depending on the day, it could be twice or just once. and this is an Bowlmor house lol. they oil before senior leagues in the morning and again before 5:30 pm.

speaking of buffet of houses - this city takes bowling seriously.
    I used to live within 5 to 30 mins drive time to 13 or 14 bowling alleys. (there was a lot, some less than 5 miles from each other) One was just 5 mins away, actually it was less, it was 2.5 miles away. Another one 10 mins from work. From old wood lanes where the ball return is between lanes splitting the approaches on rusty looking rails. (but it was a popular house.) To updated high end monitors/tablets. From 8 lanes to 56? lanes if I remember. But after being away from that city for over 10 years, I'm pretty sure half are closed.... or maybe not....But, I also know they opened several alleys (private) some traditional ones, to ones with bumper cars, lazer tag, etc...

I guess when it rains a lot and golf seasons are short, you'd have so many choices of bowling alleys. I'm just glad the house that closed several years ago is opened again.

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    Depending on the day, it could be twice or just once. and this is an Bowlmor house lol. they oil before senior leagues in the morning and again before 5:30 pm.

speaking of buffet of houses - this city takes bowling seriously.
    I used to live within 5 to 30 mins drive time to 13 or 14 bowling alleys. (there was a lot, some less than 5 miles from each other) One was just 5 mins away, actually it was less, it was 2.5 miles away. Another one 10 mins from work. From old wood lanes where the ball return is between lanes splitting the approaches on rusty looking rails. (but it was a popular house.) To updated high end monitors/tablets. From 8 lanes to 56? lanes if I remember. But after being away from that city for over 10 years, I'm pretty sure half are closed.... or maybe not....But, I also know they opened several alleys (private) some traditional ones, to ones with bumper cars, lazer tag, etc...

I guess when it rains a lot and golf seasons are short, you'd have so many choices of bowling alleys. I'm just glad the house that closed several years ago is opened again.
    Vegas takes bowling a bit serious as well. 17 alleys here with South Point being the biggest show in town.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast