Thread: Changing Your Style

Default Changing Your Style

OK...Back in 2014 I returned to bowling after a 25 year hiatus, and man have thing changed since.

I started bowling in the 60's and once I was figuring it out I had to learn my approach.

My father (rest his soul) and I always watched it on TV and I remember seeing some guy by the name of Mark Roth, and what he did back then was unreal. Needless to say I pretty much copied his style but with a 5 step approach, and stayed with it until I walked away from bowling in the mid 80's.

Upon my return I have encountered a few physical limitations. Bad back, knee, shoulder and a couple of other annoyances. While I do have a #15 ball, my other 3 are #12.

But the changes to the lanes and balls made me change from the Mark Roth style as well. I still use the 5 step approach, but it's slow and deliberate with not much back swing, and I have hovered around a 190 average.

A couple of weeks ago I had to have Laser Lithotripsy to get rid of 2 kidney stones and have a stent put in, and the very next night I was bowling. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but my doc didn't say not to. I didn't ask him either! lol

BUT, I didn't stay with the style I was using. I went with the Marshall Holman approach with a couple of tweaks. Still 5 steps and still just below the upper dots, and it was amazingly comfortable. Comfortable enough where I bowled just under 650.

Other than a couple of stinkers, I've bowled pretty darn good these last couple of weeks. And I'm going to stick with this from here on out.

How many of you made similar changes and ended up with better results? Thanks.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

As a Jr bowler I was taught to stand at the second set of dots at set-up. Having taken almost 2 years off, random bowling in those 2 years, I came back an sucked bad this season.in my defense I returned to a sport shot. I had to practice and needed to changemy steps during approach and where I stood on the approach. I've been kind of inconsistent as of late but made good enough adjustments to my game to have some good nights.
    Last edited by Hot_pocket; 04-20-2016 at 07:16 AM.
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

I stoped bowling when I was 15 and began bowling after I was 25 I had to learn how to approach. It has taken me 2 years but I think I have it down lots of bad habits were made trying to fix everything..

Chats: 0

My only tweaks were trying a 4-step approach for a month. I went back to 5 steps but I try really hard to keep the first step really small, and make the other steps even and larger.

I am currently doing an entire overhaul and switching to a 2-handed approach. It had been 2 years since I had thrown 2-handed before I started practicing again 2 months ago. But I'm determined to switch and am making the 2-handed debut at nationals next week!

First night of bowling after losing the stent and 1 small kidney stone, and another small one remaining I bowled a 170, 268 & 214 by staying with my modified Marshal Hollman approach.

I now have more revs and power in my release with a short arm swing.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick