Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble bowling on a five-man team

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by PAV1983 View Post
    I tend to do a little better on four-person teams, although I am at my best during open bowling. The five-man team has been a struggle because I get stale, as I said before. I think what I need to do is try to put myself in more situations where I have to bowl with 9 other men. Also, it seems to me that the other men are so experienced in this situation and they also have their technique down pat; it doesn't phase them to have to wait. I can't seem to hold onto the good technique when I get stale. I am not established enough to overcome something like that.

The four-man league has been a disaster so far this spring for me because they hold tournaments, the lanes get all chopped up, and they don't oil them before our league. We only have six teams on our league. It's killing my game.
    PAV.....You just answered your own question and the other guys responding picked up on it also. The pace you're bowling at during practice is always going to be much faster than bowling in any league, and that would include a 3 or 4 man team as well. Many bowlers are great practice bowlers but not good league bowlers because they have trouble paceing themselves. As one writer put it, you need to get your focus away from the bowling while you're waiting for your turn, and then when you're up turn that focus back on. Seems simple enough, but I know plenty of bowler that have had that same problem. You need to relax and enjoy the camaraderie of the guys you're bowling with, and then when you step up to bowl turn on that killer instinct. Good Luck hope you can settle in and start bowling as well in the leagues as you do in practice.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I am the opposite, I have breathing issues.. COPD. when I bowl alone I spend more time sitting than bowling. I love a 4 person pace.

Chats: 204

I would venture to guess that the problem isn't the 5-man team and is:

1) Adjusting to league conditions.

2) Adjusting to league pace.

Most new bowlers that I've come across, have trouble adjusting to the slower pace of league play. They are used to open bowling with two house balls so they're throwing balls in rapid succession (which is annoying to league bowlers). As you get better, this pace difference won't matter and you'll learn to cherish the break time to concentrate on what you want to do on the next shot.

But the biggest difference is often lane conditions. House bowling is essentially useless to practice. The lanes are beat up, the patterns changed, and the lanes dry, especially for RHers. When I first started, I thought those differences were overblown. Every bowler seemed to think their league or their house had the toughest conditions and exaggerate the differences house to house and lane to lane. But, after bowling leagues and tournaments in multiple houses throughout the area...I've learned that unfortunately the current state of the sport of bowling is highly dependent on lane conditions. So, if you go to bowl...you're bowling on a completely different environment than what they bowl on during league night when the conditions are usually fresh.

So, if it's a pace issue...that'll work itself out. It's very common for new, open, recreational bowlers to get frustrated with the pace...but better bowlers learn to keep their rhythm without rapidly firing the ball every 8 seconds. The conditions will be harder to master.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12