Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare ball advise

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Default Spare ball advise

Looking to upgrade my spare ball. Right now I'm using a 35+ year old Gemstar plastic ball. Works well enough, but if I ever wanted to go into a money tournament, some won't allow you to use a ball that isn't made by a current manufacturer. I've been looking at the Track Spare+. Anyone have any experience with this? The T-Zone is another option as well.
    Last edited by Timmyb; 04-30-2016 at 07:08 PM.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

SandBagger

I use the Columbia 300 White Dot. Works very well and it even will have a reaction to dry lanes if you put some revs into it. My Ball is drilled so it will rev if need be even though there is a pancake core.

Chats: 256

Any plastic ball will do what you need. Doesn't matter brand unless you are loyal to one over another.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Pin Crusher

All you want in a spare ball is something that won't hook. Any cheap plastic.

As long as the ball is registered with the USBC and has a serial number on it you can use it.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    Looking to upgrade my spare ball. Right now I'm using a 35+ year old Gemstar plastic ball. Works well enough, but if I ever wanted to go into a money tournament, some won't allow you to use a ball that isn't made by a current manufacturer. I've been looking at the Track Spare+. Anyone have any experience with this? The T-Zone is another option as well.
    The only advantage to the Track Spare+ is the ball has an actual core not just a pancake weight block. This is important if your a lower speed or rev dominate bowler who like to have the ability to throw the plastic ball as your strike ball. If you just want something to pick 10 pins up with save yourself a bunch of money and get the T-zone.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The only advantage to the Track Spare+ is the ball has an actual core not just a pancake weight block. This is important if your a lower speed or rev dominate bowler who like to have the ability to throw the plastic ball as your strike ball. If you just want something to pick 10 pins up with save yourself a bunch of money and get the T-zone.
    The T Zone is exactly what I use. I throw my ball as straight as an arrow by the 1st arrow and you can hear the ball "thunk" down the lane every time.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post

I noticed the T-zone isn't that much less.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    I noticed the T-zone isn't that much less.
    If there isn't much difference your either getting a deal on the spare+ or ripped off on the T-Zone. Everywhere is different but here T-Zone Drilled with inserts and thumb slug is $75 Track Spare = $120. Not huge and if I wanted the Spare I would get it. Also know if your lower speed the spare will hook slightly more due to having a core.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Any plastic ball should get the job done for you! All depends on if your worried about brand.

I used a White Dot for years. Now I just flatten my hand ouf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast