Thread: Bombed in a last second tourney!

Chats: 10

Default Bombed in a last second tourney!

A guy at the center asked if I wanted to fill in at a tourney for someone who was hurt. I bowled with these guys in a league we won and in a different league we bowl on different teams. I just flat out bombed. The conditions weren't bad, I was. Got some bad leaves, several splits even after adjusting, couldn't get the pins to carry, etc etc. each game I had at least three opens, five in the last one. What I really need to a ball to ball down to after Haywire is too strong on the burnt lanes. Thinking Hy Wire. Glad I have the summer to work on it. Just venting on my poor shooting!
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    A guy at the center asked if I wanted to fill in at a tourney for someone who was hurt. I bowled with these guys in a league we won and in a different league we bowl on different teams. I just flat out bombed. The conditions weren't bad, I was. Got some bad leaves, several splits even after adjusting, couldn't get the pins to carry, etc etc. each game I had at least three opens, five in the last one. What I really need to a ball to ball down to after Haywire is too strong on the burnt lanes. Thinking Hy Wire. Glad I have the summer to work on it. Just venting on my poor shooting!
    If you don't mind a suggestion, going from a solid with one core, to a hybrid with the same core is not much of a ball down. Trying looking at something with a higher low RG and a differential the same or lower, and don't be afraid to put less surface on it. The biggest difference between a solid and a hybrid with the same core is the OOB surface that the manufacturer puts on them.

Chats: 256

I got the Hy-Wire recently and it is a perfect step down ball from the Haywire. It is becoming my go to ball after Haywire gets too strong of a finish. Play same line and it is tame enough to make it back and not over react off same spot.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    If you don't mind a suggestion, going from a solid with one core, to a hybrid with the same core is not much of a ball down. Trying looking at something with a higher low RG and a differential the same or lower, and don't be afraid to put less surface on it. The biggest difference between a solid and a hybrid with the same core is the OOB surface that the manufacturer puts on them.
    is this based on the article that was posted on here not to long ago?
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    I got the Hy-Wire recently and it is a perfect step down ball from the Haywire. It is becoming my go to ball after Haywire gets too strong of a finish. Play same line and it is tame enough to make it back and not over react off same spot.
    It depends on your style. Basically it's the same ball with a polished surface instead of 2000 grit. I think for higher speed players this type of step down works. For lower speed bowlers such as myself I would prefer the Unhinged or the Hectic as my step down. Higher speed players can get enough "push" to get stronger covered pearls through the heads this seem like it happens around 16-17 mph. Slower speed players don't get that and the polished ball may go longer but it hooks so much more on the backend that they actually get pushed farther left (righty) with the polished ball than they were with the rougher surfaced ball at least this is what I see on the lanes.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    It depends on your style. Basically it's the same ball with a polished surface instead of 2000 grit. I think for higher speed players this type of step down works. For lower speed bowlers such as myself I would prefer the Unhinged or the Hectic as my step down. Higher speed players can get enough "push" to get stronger covered pearls through the heads this seem like it happens around 16-17 mph. Slower speed players don't get that and the polished ball may go longer but it hooks so much more on the backend that they actually get pushed farther left (righty) with the polished ball than they were with the rougher surfaced ball at least this is what I see on the lanes.
    I agree about the speed thing. I throw a menace and have the hywire as my step down ball and it works great. But I am throwing about 17-17.5 consistently

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Good observation.