Thread: Triangle Drilling

Default Triangle Drilling

I've seen a couple videos about the triangle drilling pattern and thought nothing of it until I read a post on bowlingball.com's FB page about the US Open counting the 1 ball as 6 different balls for check-in purposes. Now that I was forced to "process" what the pattern meant, I think it is absolutely genius and highly innovative. I am not a 2-hander so this will never apply to me, but to have 1 ball do 6 "different" things is kind of amazing.

As usual, the majority of the comments revolve around hate and vitriol towards the thumbless/2-hand guys. I wish I wasn't so "set in my ways" or else I would try throwing 2 handed for the simple concept of economy! Along with being set in "traditional" bowling, I don't think a ball without fingertips would feel right.

A lot of other comments hint at this being a judgment against thumbless/2-handers...sure does seem like it (right or wrong, I'm not sure)

Since this pertains to that particular style of bowling, I'm sure there are plenty of opinions around here...I'd be curious to hear them.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.
    Roto Grip Critical ball give away winner (04JAN16-10JAN16)

Chats: 32

I have very little issue with the two handed style. I'm not a huge fan of it but I'm not ready to outlaw it either. I do think the multiple drilling balls are akin to cheating and I am not a fan of the triangle or the single hand version that offers three different drillings.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I'm not a no thumb bowler or a two hander, and I have no problem with the drilling style, as long as it passes all six check ins. Personally, I think more power to them, I wish I could buy only one ball and throw it six different ways hahaha

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

i have no problem with no thumb/ 2 handers

but I fully agree if there is a ball limit, a triangle drilled ball should count for 6 to keep balance of competition
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

i have no problem w/ the triangle drilling and thumbless / 2 handed bowlers are getting picked on for being different. well i know i get alot of complaints that i am a thumbless bowling but that is due to that i have no thumb. i will not give in to a sport that i enjoy doing just cause some people complain that its not the "right way" to bowl.
    current avg 203
    in the bag:crux, rocket, fury

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll & Hyde View Post
    well i know i get alot of complaints that i am a thumbless bowling but that is due to that i have no thumb. i will not give in to a sport that i enjoy doing just cause some people complain that its not the "right way" to bowl.
    Hey as long as the ball hits the pocket/pins constantly or pretty constantly it is the right
    way to me anyway, thumb or no thumb one handed or two handed.

The complainers are just jealous because they can't put the revs on a ball like a thumbless
    or two hander can.

Everyone has their own style when it comes to bowling be it one handed or two handed
    thumb or no thumb it makes no difference so in my mind how ever you do it is the right
    way for each individual's style as long as they are bowling well doing it their way.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 10

The other day Belmo did a live chat on Facebook and said he first experienced the triangle drill back in 2002 I believe during his junior days. He says he's fine with it, but he didn't like using it as it was confusing to remember how he held the ball during a previous shot. He couldn't remember where the pin was.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

There's a guy in town here that has taken this a step further. He does a series of six drillings around the ball with just the two sized holes for your fingers. Six reactions out of the same ball. Still think it's an abomination....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    The other day Belmo did a live chat on Facebook and said he first experienced the triangle drill back in 2002 I believe during his junior days. He says he's fine with it, but he didn't like using it as it was confusing to remember how he held the ball during a previous shot. He couldn't remember where the pin was.
    i watched a little of the live video. He also said when he tried it, the reaction between each layout wasn't a huge difference, maybe a board or 2.
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Also as the top Storm athlete I'm sure he can request as many drilled balls as he wishes. So no need for triangle drilling when he can just have three balls