Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did I join a sport shot league?

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    You don't need flooded lanes to learn. You need practice. Just remember you will probably end up changing how you throw the ball, how you get to the line and how you release it. Now next Sept. you will go back and be lost for a month trying to apply all the sport shot stuff to a normal league shot. Most people have to slow down because their ball don't hook on the sport shot. The one we had changed every week. It was the animal patterns. You never get comfortable with it. You wound be better off getting a few lessons with a coach and practicing what they teach you. Now a very good 230 house bowler could learn but a 180 person not so much.
    Yeah the league I am doing changes patterns every four weeks. And I am a 210-215 average bowler on a house shot depending on the house. And I would like to get into more local scratch tournaments that bowl on the sport shots. I think it'll help me accomplish my goal.
    In my bag: Roto Grip Halo, Roto Grip Halo Pearl, Rot Grip Idol Pearl, Storm Fever Pitch, Storm Ice
    High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 783
    THS Average: 215

Chats: 0

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Even the proprietor said this pattern was picked because it was so tough, and the scoring would get better with the other patterns. I did bowl on another pattern once called Stockholm. It was short as well, and I killed that pattern I could play right up first arrow and at one point I had 17 straight strikes.
    This pattern, Red Square, didn't play that way. I'll get better at it. Can't get much worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I can see why you struggle on the PBA patterns.
    Me too. Well said!

I would love to get on a sport shot sometime. Just have to research where to roll a sport league.

What makes this shot interesting is the lanes are original wood from 1962. Fairly maintained but each pair has its quirks. Of course I started the night on the toughest pair, and that's the owners opinion. I shot 300 on that pair ion the THS. I shot 315 for 2 games Monday on the sport shot.

2nd day on the Sport Shot " Red Square" . I faired barely better this week. My accuracy on my first shot improved, and I brought weaker equipment and played a straighter, higher speed shot. Crushed the pocket the first 8 frames of game one and got nothing. Shot 160 and won my match.
    Game two was about the same. Shot 158 and lost by a ton. Just not making my spares. Need to shoot straighter at them is all. Third game we all moved one pair right. I switched balls and go crazy. Four 9 spares and a six bagger for 248. Don't know what the difference was besides carry. Game four I fell apart and shot 148. 5 opens on spare shots.
    My physical game isn't bad. My speed control is really good right now. My first ball accuracy is improving. Spare shooting needs work, and a plastic spare ball. Got my average up to 167. My goal is 190+ by seasons end.

Had my first night of my singles sport league last night. The pattern was Kegel's Winding Road. Ended up shooting 189, 191, 189 and 173. I really wish I would've brought some weaker equipment with me. I brought my Menace and Hywire and kept coming in high. I was shocked at how quickly the lanes broke down. It was a great first experience on a sport pattern and I am definitely looking forward to the rest of the season!
    In my bag: Roto Grip Halo, Roto Grip Halo Pearl, Rot Grip Idol Pearl, Storm Fever Pitch, Storm Ice

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly02 View Post
    Had my first night of my singles sport league last night. The pattern was Kegel's Winding Road. Ended up shooting 189, 191, 189 and 173. I really wish I would've brought some weaker equipment with me. I brought my Menace and Hywire and kept coming in high. I was shocked at how quickly the lanes broke down. It was a great first experience on a sport pattern and I am definitely looking forward to the rest of the season!
    On sport shots when your not familiar with the pattern bring the arsenal. I'm not a fan of the guys who walk in with 6+ balls on THS leagues in a house they know but on sport shots or bowling in a unfamiliar house more = More.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    On sport shots when your not familiar with the pattern bring the arsenal. I'm not a fan of the guys who walk in with 6+ balls on THS leagues in a house they know but on sport shots or bowling in a unfamiliar house more = More.
    Definitely am going to next week!!

I brought 6 balls the first night, but my weakest stuff was left at home. I brought weaker stuff the second night, but had a few issues with my hand swelling a bit and not fitting the ball I was doing well with. I switched out finger inserts from lifts to ovals, plus one size bigger. One more night of short oil and we change to something longer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast