Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did I join a sport shot league?

Chats: 0

Default Why did I join a sport shot league?

Well, I was humbled tonite. 4 game singles league on a flat 38 foot pattern called Red Square. 1:1 ratio gutter to gutter for 25 feet, then blended out to 38 feet. 22 feet of bone dry except for some reason outside 7 would stay outside 7 and give you 3 pins. I did that 3 times. I really thought I could play up around 8 put everything went Brooklyn when I did that.
    I ended up standing deep inside for me and trying to hit between 2nd and 3rd at about 45 feet. The ball would turn left like it was kicked! The stupid part was my spare shooting was horrible. No excuses for missing single pin spares. I think I averaged about 145 for 4 games. Maybe a little higher. It was interesting. 2 more weeks at that pattern and we switch to something else.
    Pretty sure I lost all 4 matches. Don't know. Last two were against no-shows who are supposed to make it up. I don't care about wins/losses. Just trying to learn

Chats: 4

Bowling on those types of conditions will help your game
    more than you know as you'll learn how to adjust faster
    and make better shots especially on spares.

If you only bowl on a THS you will not learn as much on
    what to do when you hit some shots like that on some
    tournaments if you bowl in them.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

I'll be doing a PBA Challenge League in about 2 weeks, and I'm looking forward to the challenge of these patterns to make my game better.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

It will get better. I came back to bowling, after being out for 2 years, to a modified sport shot. My spare shooting was horrific. I would have at minimum 2 opens a game and they were normally easy 1 pin spares. Spare making is what will win you games. Have you tried playing straight down five since there's oil from 7 out? Iv'e never bowled on that pattern but iv'e learned to try different angles to see what works best for me.
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

A sport shot is a truly humbling experience! One of the things that it teaches us is that the same way we take advantage of the forgiveness of a THS on our strike shots, is also true on our spares. The faster we can learn to go straight with plastic at all of our non-double wood spares, the faster our games will improve. Keep at it!

Chats: 32

Playing on more difficult conditions will make you a better bowler but it sure can do harm to the ego. Just learn, have fun, and practice throwing plastic at all your single pin spares.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Pin Crusher

I have tried the PBA shot about 3 different summers in the last few years. Usually after each one I swear never to do it again. It does not help you bowl better on the house shot. You will have to start going slower or faster and move to a different part of the lane. Your timing will get screwed up as will your head. If you plan to bowl on it all the time and not bowl on the house shot go for it. If you plan on going back to the same shot you just bowled on practice on that. Learn to adjust on the house shot leave the PBA shot to the PBA. The only one pin spare you need for plastic is the 10 pin the others you should make automatically.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I have tried the PBA shot about 3 different summers in the last few years. Usually after each one I swear never to do it again. It does not help you bowl better on the house shot. You will have to start going slower or faster and move to a different part of the lane. Your timing will get screwed up as will your head. If you plan to bowl on it all the time and not bowl on the house shot go for it. If you plan on going back to the same shot you just bowled on practice on that. Learn to adjust on the house shot leave the PBA shot to the PBA. The only one pin spare you need for plastic is the 10 pin the others you should make automatically.
    I can see why you struggle on the PBA patterns.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I'm starting a sport league next week and the whole reason I am doing it is to become a better bowler. right now on a house shot I have a mark, or I should say an area, I like to hit. going to a sport shot, I hope it teaches me how to truly hit my mark and learn to play correct angles. Anyway, good luck and good bowling!

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly02 View Post
    I'm starting a sport league next week and the whole reason I am doing it is to become a better bowler. right now on a house shot I have a mark, or I should say an area, I like to hit. going to a sport shot, I hope it teaches me how to truly hit my mark and learn to play correct angles. Anyway, good luck and good bowling!
    You don't need flooded lanes to learn. You need practice. Just remember you will probably end up changing how you throw the ball, how you get to the line and how you release it. Now next Sept. you will go back and be lost for a month trying to apply all the sport shot stuff to a normal league shot. Most people have to slow down because their ball don't hook on the sport shot. The one we had changed every week. It was the animal patterns. You never get comfortable with it. You wound be better off getting a few lessons with a coach and practicing what they teach you. Now a very good 230 house bowler could learn but a 180 person not so much.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast