Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Other Side of Sandbagging...

Aren't the slumps great!? It's like not being able to hit the ocean with an aircraft carrier.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

lmfaooo
    Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Don't my worry eventually you'll hit your next slump. That'll show them

Chats: 0

Asian..... One of the side effects of kicking someones but on a league night is being able to listen to them whine. While it might not happen every night, take advantage of the opportunity if some idiot is stupid enough to say something to you, to rub a little salt in the wound. You don't have to be nasty, just something like, "Gee maybe next time you bowl me you could try left handed". You know something just enough to get their goat. Lots of guy's have gone through that. Had a young (21-22) guy I was bowling against in my league, put his arm around my shoulder, and tell me he was going to take it easy on "the old guy". I just smiled and said, "Thanks I appreciate that. He had started with the first 3. I went off the sheet with the next 8, finished with about a 760 series to his low 600 and took all 4 points from him. He never said another word to me like that again. Of course over the next few months I made sure to remind him. Next time you bowl against your guy, get in his head early in the first game, and watch him implode !

All's fair in Love and War, and last time I checked, serious bowling isn't Love !!
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I am just coming back after 25 years, 3 or 4 months back so far and I can shoot 108 or 198. I will be bowling in a winter league and have to establish an average. So if I average 150 for 9 games and then get better guess what I'm in for....lol
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    Had a young (21-22) guy I was bowling against in my league, put his arm around my shoulder, and tell me he was going to take it easy on "the old guy". I just smiled and said, "Thanks I appreciate that. He had started with the first 3. I went off the sheet with the next 8, finished with about a 760 series to his low 600 and took all 4 points from him. He never said another word to me like that again. Of course over the next few months I made sure to remind him. Next time you bowl against your guy, get in his head early in the first game, and watch him implode !
    LOL nice

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

I used to be questioned about sandbagging ALOT about 7-8 years ago. It wasn't ever from people within my own center, but when I would go to local tournaments and such. My home center was the lowest scoring center in the city and the only one that was still totally wood (and horrible wood at that). We had one 300 in 5 years and the high average for any league was in the 205 range. I would bowl there, which I averaged around 190 yet when I would go to tournaments at other centers my friend and I would usually go in the 220-225 range. This drew a lot of attention to us in that aspect. I still get some grumbling to this day from certain people, but for the most part its stopped. That center has since been closed down and I have moved to one of the highest scoring houses in town now.

This past season was my first year back after taking a year and half off. The last night of the league when we get the print out for the whole year and what we shot/averaged, I saw that for the first 8 weeks i was averaging 225. Then like ever year I hit the slump mid season and only ended with 204. Still not horrible being my first full season back, but the complaining came just 2 weeks ago. I bowled a local handicap tournament at the same center and went 936 scratch for 4 games on a 204 average. The complaints started rolling in that I shouldn't be getting any handicap because with handicap it put me at 1044 and winning by 80 pins. They sure didn't complain the next week though when i only shot 780 scratch for 4 games at the other house (it alternates centers each week and awarded points to qualify for a year end tournament). We shall see how this week goes, but this week will primarily be a practice session for a larger tournament this weekend.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

We have a regular bowler in our scratch league that is a legend in his own mind. Swears he is the best bowler in the county. I called him on it and said he wasn't even the best bowler in his house (his wife averages 210). He said he keeps his average low for state tournament. This past state tourney he bowled a 440something in team event first day. I calmly walked down to see how others were doing, saw that and said "Jason, so much for your handicap. Thanks for the bracket wins."
    Exactly one month later I eliminated him from the center's Singles Championship. I finished third but didn't care as all I wanted was to make sure he didn't win.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12