Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need a weak ball that still hits hard?

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Default Need a weak ball that still hits hard?

I am getting to old to generate a lot of speed so every thing hooks too much out side. Go in and can't get the carry. Have tried a Pitch black and need a little more hitting power. Don't get me wrong I can still get it down the lane with some hand and speed but have lost carry.
    Is it the cover or the drilling I need to look at? Probably both.

Chats: 32

I'm just not a big fan of Urethane except for the high velocity guys for normal to slower speed deliveries I just don't seem to see the carry with them and especially with highly surfaced balls like the pitch black. I've tried a few different things for myself and watched others and what provides the most success seems to fall along these lines.

#1- If you refer to play up the boards (right of 10) and tend to be speed dominate don't be afraid to try a very strong ball with a weak layout. One of the most successful I have seen is the Original Mastermind with a 2 inch pin to pap drilling. I have numerous friends who bowl with this style who have used this combo and with every one it has become their go to ball

#2- If you prefer to move left or have to due to lower speed rev dominate style go with a weaker ball drilled for length and strength. I recently purchased the Brunswick Danger Zone with this type of drilling. Most of my previous balls had been more medium to strong with weaker drillings. The danger zone actually hooks more than my stronger balls but I can move left and play over the 4th arrow and still carry with it which my other balls just won't do.

Good Luck
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

I agree with Amyers"s #1
    my daughters are now throwing high end balls with weaker layouts and their carry has greatly improved
    find a good PSO, maybe get something you don't mind plugging and re drilling a few times until you find the right layout
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Cranker

I've gotten to a point where I'm not buying as many balls but instead I'm manipulating the surfaces to get the ball to do what I need. So for example, the ball I'm using now for when the lanes get toasty is a Columbia 300 Swerve which is a really aggressive solid ball but I have it really polished so it's perfect for me now. Hits like a truck but skids so much longer with the polish.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    I've gotten to a point where I'm not buying as many balls but instead I'm manipulating the surfaces to get the ball to do what I need. So for example, the ball I'm using now for when the lanes get toasty is a Columbia 300 Swerve which is a really aggressive solid ball but I have it really polished so it's perfect for me now. Hits like a truck but skids so much longer with the polish.
    This is normally a good point but urethane doesn't take to surface manipulation the way resin cover stocks do.

Current arsenal

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    This is normally a good point but urethane doesn't take to surface manipulation the way resin cover stocks do.

I agree but I got the impression that Fordman1 wasn't throwing Urethane just that he didn't like the Pitch Black.

Pin Crusher

I have tried many balls I use the pitch black for 10 pins. I have been throwing the Hyper cell skid. I have no problem getting it to the pocket from inside it just doesn't carry good. I was looking for something to play down and in. I still have a little speed and hand. My approach has slowed down due to Age, weight and a torn hamstring a few years ago. I still can play just wanted to play a little straighter. I sometimes try to throw the Cell like a straight ball up the 2nd arrow. It will flip but not consistently and when it flips early I never miss leaving a split. Just need a weaker ball and layout. Would totally balanced work I can still get around the ball. Even at my age I can still hook the ball more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I have tried many balls I use the pitch black for 10 pins. I have been throwing the Hyper cell skid. I have no problem getting it to the pocket from inside it just doesn't carry good. I was looking for something to play down and in. I still have a little speed and hand. My approach has slowed down due to Age, weight and a torn hamstring a few years ago. I still can play just wanted to play a little straighter. I sometimes try to throw the Cell like a straight ball up the 2nd arrow. It will flip but not consistently and when it flips early I never miss leaving a split. Just need a weaker ball and layout. Would totally balanced work I can still get around the ball. Even at my age I can still hook the ball more than most people.
    Makes sense to me the Hyper Cell Skid is a strong ball and very flippy unfortunately if your not in the right place or on the wrong condition that kind of ball gets temperamental quick. I would look for something symmetrical with medium surface 3k-4k in the middle of the road cover strength wise. I would use a balanced or length drilling on it but stay away from the long and strong type stuff. The stronger the ball I picked I would go with weaker drill and vise vs. At the strong end the Mastermind Einstein (probably on clearance) would work with a weaker drill or go the other way and look at a the Storm Match with a stronger drilling. The Hyroad would be a good choice to. Don't be afraid to adjust the cover to get the reaction you want.

Current arsenal

Pin Crusher

I took the hyper cell skid down with a 2000 and it smoothed it out but not working yet.

The hyper cell skid sanded to some large extent becomes a hyper cell so unless you have the oil for it the ball can't perform.

My guess is out of box the ball is unpredictable sanded it doesn't carry. Your probably not matching up with it and the conditions in the oob finish and it's burning up to much and hitting weak sanded.

If that's the problem a surface change isn't going to fix the problem. Sometimes a ball just doesn't fit your game and the conditions your bowling on

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast