Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Need a weak ball that still hits hard?

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Maybe you can tell me then. Is it the ball you put in your hand, or how much hand you put in the ball? Is your carry better when you are high flush or light? Which is harder the 7-10 or the 2-8-10 in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Maybe you can tell me then. Is it the ball you put in your hand, or how much hand you put in the ball? Is your carry better when you are high flush or light? Which is harder the 7-10 or the 2-8-10 in your opinion?
    For myself, it is a combination of both. The ball in my hand and how much hand I put in to it.

The particular ball I choose and lane conditions dictate how I will release the ball. For example: I can throw my Vandal & Thug Unruly at different speeds and strengths depending where my break point starts and where it changes when the lanes begin to burn out.

The same applies when I bowl on totally fried lanes. I move left and make adjustments during during my 10 min of warmup to make that determination.

On a long oily patters I might also use my plastic ball and use the straighter is greater technique and not throw hard at all. With my new Vintage Danger Zone, I have yet to try it on the shorter patterns and heavy oil conditions. But that will change on Wednesday when I start my PBA Experience league.

As far as my carry goes, I have had the good fortune of getting good carry with both. If I am throwing my ball well, high flush works good and so does light. My ball rotation has got me many strikes when I don't hit the head pin very well, and admittedly, many more than I should have. But as long as the book doesn't say a strike has to be pretty I'll take every X that hits the scoreboard.

With the 7-10 and the 2-8-10, they both spell disaster. But the 2-8-10 is the toughest of the 2 (have not made either). With the 7-10, in the early frames I'll go at the 7 from corner to corner with the hopes the 7 will kick around and I have had it bounce around many times. From the mid frames on I as straight as an arrow at the 10. The count means much more at this point.

With the 2-8-10 I'm more interested in the count and that's because I go corner to corner for this because it is probably easier for a lefty too make this one, not that they are very successful making it either.

Remember that this is how/what I do for my own game. My style with a very short arm swing made me change my game from years ago and has given me better accuracy. And as I have said on other threads, days of a Mark Roth approach are long gone. It resembles more like Marshall Holman, by staying low from start to finish.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Pin Crusher

You should post a video of yourself bowling.

You should post a video of yourself bowling.
    I might do that some day, but for now I get the wife to video me when things are really running sour.

With a lot of things going on right now, doing a video is almost impossible. Tomorrow I'll be with the USBC to do lane certification and later on in the afternoon I have a tournament to bowl.

Monday & Tuesday I'll be at the Orleans working the PWBA USBC Queens tournament, and from there I bowl my Monday night league.

Wednesday I'll be at the Orleans in the am for the same tournament and then bowl Wednesday night.

Thursday night I'll be at the Orleans for the stepladder broadcast of the tournament.

Friday is my sleep day!

Saturday I have 2Q 9 Tap Championships Semis to bowl.

And Sunday I have the PBA 50 Pro Am at 12:30 and if I qualify for the 9 Tap Finals I have to go to another bowling center to play in that.

Very long week ahead! lol
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Chats: 32

This would make a good post Fordman. For me it's the hand I put in the ball. I carry better light than flush (if I'm carrying flush well watch out it's gonna be a good game). The 7-10 is way harder for me I've gotten lucky an had the 2 bounce off the 8 and hit the ten and picked it up on a few occasions. I've never even got close on the 7-10 I don't have the ball speed to bounce it off the wall.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Pin Crusher

With the juiced up side boards they have now the light hit is much better than the solid pocket. The head pin comes off like it is shot out of a cannon. Hits that were buckets in the old days are now strikes. We used to laugh at people who threw the ball hard because if just spin off the back of the alley. Now throw hard and it is like an explosion.

Both splits are just luck I refuse to hurt my arm again trying to throw hard. Make a better shot on the first ball and smile.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

I am getting to old to generate a lot of speed so every thing hooks too much out side. Go in and can't get the carry. Have tried a Pitch black and need a little more hitting power. Don't get me wrong I can still get it down the lane with some hand and speed but have lost carry.
    Is it the cover or the drilling I need to look at? Probably both.
    If you want to stick with storm products, Look at the Hy-Road. There's a reason its been on the market for 8 years now. The ones that I have thrown all showed similar traits. I got decent length, but smooth off the break point. Honestly, without actually seeing you bowl and knowing the conditions in which the issues arise will make it difficult to give for sure direction.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I am getting to old to generate a lot of speed so every thing hooks too much out side. Go in and can't get the carry. Have tried a Pitch black and need a little more hitting power. Don't get me wrong I can still get it down the lane with some hand and speed but have lost carry.
    Is it the cover or the drilling I need to look at? Probably both.
    Hace you tried a Cyclone, Rhino or Freestyle?
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Cranker

I throw 12.5 mph and I bought a 15# Track Heat, the ball moves a good amount at the end of the lane and carries awesome. with my old ball I left a lot of 5 pins and 5-7's. this ball at that slow speed blows out the 5 every time and carries light hits.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345