Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have a ball summer league ball suggestions wanted

Default Have a ball summer league ball suggestions wanted

I'm currently bowling in a "Have a Ball" league. At the end of the league, I can choose any ball in the pro shop and was looking for some advice.
    Here is the skinny on me and where I bowl.
    I avg. 174. I don't roll fast or rev hard. More of a stroker. Low 15's for the speed according to the meter on the lane. I roll with a lot of side roll.
    I currently own the following. Columbia Freeze, Roto Grip Wrecker, GameBreaker 2 and a spare ball. The GameBreaker is my newest ball and I am very pleased with it. It seems that with every new ball I get, as I get stronger balls I am more pleased with the results. With the GameBreaker 2 I am getting a really nice angle to the pocket and great carry.
    The house has a reputation for being on the drier side, though honestly, I am not sure I am good enough to tell yet.
    The pro shop is pretty good sized and has most brands and models.

Considering the RotoGrip Haywire, Ebonite Warrior Elite but completely open minded.

Suggestions? I'm all ears!

Chats: 0

If its on the drier side I would not suggest the haywire . I have one and it prefers oil. On dry lanes I start at the left channel and cross the 10 board at the arrows to stay right of the head pin. By the time it hits the pocket all its energy is gone.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Both of those bowling balls need oil to use. If you are looking for something along the same lines as the Warrior Elite, then both the Hammer Scandal and Track Paradox are my suggestions. But again, all of these bowling balls need oil to work. If you like the GameBreaker 2, then I would take a look at the Black Widow Dark Legend. I've heard nothing but good things about that ball and it doesn't need as much oil as the aforementioned bowling balls.
    Bowling balls in the bag: Track Paradox, Hammer Deadly Aim, Hammer Black Widow Legend, Hammer Black Widow Assassin, Hammer Viral, Columbia 300 White Dot

It won't be a bad idea to try a Brunswick Vintage Danger Zone. Has great energy at the end and hits the pins pike a Mack Truck, with a smooth arc to the pocket. Just have the PSO drill it so that I can go longer. That's what I'll be doing when I get my mine in the next couple of days. It's going to be my main ball for Sport patterns.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Just remember that because your normal house is drier, not all houses are that way. So, if you want to broaden your arsenal I would suggest a heavy oil ball like the haywire
    In my bag: Roto Grip Halo, Roto Grip Halo Pearl, Rot Grip Idol Pearl, Storm Fever Pitch, Storm Ice
    High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 783
    THS Average: 215

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly02 View Post
    Just remember that because your normal house is drier, not all houses are that way. So, if you want to broaden your arsenal I would suggest a heavy oil ball like the haywire
    Respectfully, I have to disagree only because a THS is not supposed to be heavy with oil.

While the oil is heaviest down the middle, it's nothing in comparison to sport patterns. And when you think about it, how often are you going to encounter heavy oil? While the lane oiler may have a malfunction or the person doing it may put in the wrong pattern, it's rare.

Personally, a ball for heavy oil is not optimal for a THS, because most heavy oil balls are quite strong, and are way above an entry level ball. Not to mention the prohibitive cost.

A versatile ball for most THS lane conditions is the best option. This way here you can change your approach when you have a night where the oil is heavier than normal, and for when the lanes breakdown in transition.

A heavy oil ball on THS transitioned lanes can eat you up alive, unless you have the ability to change your approach and targeting.

Only as an example: I have a Vandal and a Thug Unruly. Both balls are great for heavy oil. But once the pattern breaks down, I have to move my self to the left for the anticipated transition and the actual transition.

Both balls are very strong and when I encounter burned out conditions, I have to move my targeting from straight at the 10 board to 30-10, and while both are good in this situation, the Vandal is the better of the 2 because of its versatility.

JMO

(NOTE: It is only my opinion I express here, and I use the DV8 line for examples because this is all I have for now)
    Last edited by 1VegasBowler; 05-17-2016 at 07:30 PM.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    Respectfully, I have to disagree only because a THS is not supposed to be heavy with oil.

Personally, a ball for heavy oil is not optimal for a THS, because most heavy oil balls are quite strong, and are way above an entry level ball. Not to mention the prohibitive cost.
    Respectfully, I have to disagree...

Come bowl on our THS, and bring your heavy oil ball, because you're gonna need it!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post

Come bowl on our THS, and bring your heavy oil ball, because you're gonna need it!
    If the average Joe needs a heavy oil ball for your house shot, then your house shot is not typical.

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post

One of these days I'll get down to Scottsdale

While a THS has some variations in length and oil, the oil isn't supposed to be heavy. Getting too heavy can almost create a sport pattern.

Currently, I bowl in a house where the THS is 42ft with an 8:1 ratio with the typical christmas tree pattern.

Every bowling center is supposed to have a sheet showing what the oil pattern is supposed to be at the front desk. But the people who work the front desk have no idea what you're talking about.

While I have no problem with the length of the different THS patterns, but they should all have the same ratios. But that's up to the USBC to change.

And the sad part about it is, if the machine ends up putting too much oil on the lanes you end up getting hosed on the way you play. While I am adding to my arsenal, I'm not ready to play on a shot when I don't have the right equipment. Carrying 3 balls to league play is one thing, but I shouldn't have to have 5 or 6. Bringing 5-6 on a PBA or Sport shot is normal because things change so fast and become more unpredictable compared to a THS.

I don't doubt there are some that have heavy oil out there. I just think the volume of oil for a THS needs to be standardized.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    If the average Joe needs a heavy oil ball for your house shot, then your house shot is not typical.
    It becomes closer to a sport shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast