Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gloves

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Default Gloves

I'm still in search of a way to not have my fingers hurting after every night of bowling. The new drilling has done away with most of it, but it's still a lingering issue. Since I've noticed that, in my advancing age, my hands have gotten dryer than a popcorn fart, I was thinking about trying a glove to see if I could push some of the load my fingers are seeing to the rest of my hand. My thinking is that if my palm and other two fingers do a little more of the grabbing, this could save me a little aggravation. Anyone here using a tacky glove? Would really like a few opinions.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

I use a tacky glove with a metal plate behind the hand with a wrist wrap, and it has done very well for me.

It helps me keep my fingers where I want them and I don't have any abnormal pain afterwards, other than my normal arthritis. lol
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Pin Crusher

Is the only time you have pain when you bowl or do you have it when you work around the house. Using pliers, screw driver or starting a lawn mower? If only when bowling maybe you need to look at your span or drilling pattern. Did it just start? How old are you? How much does the ball weigh? Lots of factors to take into account.

Chats: 32

I have some teammates who use the gloves and like them. Makes them feel like they get a little better contact with the ball and maybe gives them a few additional revs. I'm not sure that it would do anything to relieve finger pain though as the gloves don't go over the fingers. I guess it might reposition the hand slightly you really wouldn't know without trying it. Honestly if your having finger pain it's either a fit issue, something in your swing release, or you've got a medical issue. If you've had your fit checked by a couple of knowledgeable PSO's you might want to check with an experienced coach especially if you don't have any medical issues that would be causing the problem.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Is the only time you have pain when you bowl or do you have it when you work around the house. Using pliers, screw driver or starting a lawn mower? If only when bowling maybe you need to look at your span or drilling pattern. Did it just start? How old are you? How much does the ball weigh? Lots of factors to take into account.
    Eeek! One at a time. I had no pain until this year. Remember though, I hadn't bowled league in over ten years. Started slowly with my original span. When I figured out that span was tearing the side of my middle finger off, I had another guy re-drill it, and we shortened the spans. No tearing, but my hand hurt bad enough by the end of three I was having trouble hanging onto the ball. Went to a different pro shop, and did a complete refit. Now, the pain is much less, but it's still there to some extent. What it feels like is you banged you finger with a hammer, but to a much, much lesser extent. Kind of like a bone bruise.

15 lb. ball, and I'll be 50 in a month. No pain during other activities, but if I grab the first knuckle and squeeze, I can feel it. It's just the first two knuckles on the fingers.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    Eeek! One at a time. I had no pain until this year. Remember though, I hadn't bowled league in over ten years. Started slowly with my original span. When I figured out that span was tearing the side of my middle finger off, I had another guy re-drill it, and we shortened the spans. No tearing, but my hand hurt bad enough by the end of three I was having trouble hanging onto the ball. Went to a different pro shop, and did a complete refit. Now, the pain is much less, but it's still there to some extent. What it feels like is you banged you finger with a hammer, but to a much, much lesser extent. Kind of like a bone bruise.

15 lb. ball, and I'll be 50 in a month. No pain during other activities, but if I grab the first knuckle and squeeze, I can feel it. It's just the first two knuckles on the fingers.
    Have you talked with the PSO that did the redrill about the continued pain? Obviously if he changed something and it got better it's effectible by the fit. Some people are easy to fit others not so much. I've adjusted the pitches on my thumb 5 or 6 times over the last 2 years before I got it to where it is now. Fitting isn't necessarily a one and done process.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

My biggest problem is arthritis, but it's not so severe where I can't handle my ball properly. (thank god!)

With a glove covering my fingers, I'm able to keep my fingers where I want them for any particular shot and the tackiness makes it so much easier for me.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Pin Crusher

My wife has arthritis too. See a Dr. Get some drugs. Try a lighter ball and go conventional grip on your ring finger.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    My wife has arthritis too. See a Dr. Get some drugs. Try a lighter ball and go conventional grip on your ring finger.
    2200mg of ibuprofen works perfectly for me, and I take it about 2 hours before I'm scheduled for my 10 minutes of practice.

For myself, my Ruckus Schizo is my only ball that isn't #12 and I rarely use it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    2200mg of ibuprofen works perfectly for me, and I take it about 2 hours before I'm scheduled for my 10 minutes of practice.

For myself, my Ruckus Schizo is my only ball that isn't #12 and I rarely use it.

2200? Isn't that 11 Advils?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast