Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty Simple Lane Question

Default Pretty Simple Lane Question

As I get more into bowling, weekly bowling with my wife, I am getting more interested in how to step up my game and actually learn the sport of bowling. Not just picking up a 16lb ball and throwing a hard shot. So my question is to my untrained eye and very green knowledge of lanes. How does one know if the lanes are dry or oily? Part two is how do you or would you adjust your game for each slickness. I guess the second part is pretty self explanatory based on how the hooks are in each lane condition, maybe? lol

Chats: 32

You've got the general idea. If you are bowling on a league hopefully the lanes are freshly dressed. If you are open bowling then you really have no idea until you throw the ball. To start with find a line that typically works for you (don't get married to that spot) then throw your ball if the ball hooks to far make adjustments left (if right handed) 2 boards with the feet one at the arrows until your in the pocket. If the ball doesn't hook enough make 1 board with the feet and 1 at the arrows right until your in the pocket. Your target at the arrows should be 8-12 boards right of your feet. This is only a starter but should give you an idea for basically lining up.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Royalt239 View Post
    How does one know if the lanes are dry or oily?
    While there are pattern charts for specific patterns which can give you a idea about that specific pattern. The simplest way is to roll the ball down the lane and see what happens.

One thing to note, what one person considers "wet/heavy oil" , someone else might consider "dry/light oil".

Part two is how do you or would you adjust your game for each slickness. I guess the second part is pretty self explanatory based on how the hooks are in each lane condition, maybe? lol
    While there are some basic adjustments. As you said it's pretty self explanatory, you have see how your ball reacts. The lanes will tell you how they want to be played.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Couldn't agree more with the 2 above posts.

Ball reaction will pretty much tell you everything you need to know and where you might need to make slight adjustments.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

If there is a fresh oil pattern and you step across the foul line you go down, it is slicker than ice. Be careful and don't go to far.

So then I guess my confusion is when I see balls that are made for dry or oily lanes. But that's a far different discussion. I just open bowl and like Amyers said I let the ball tell me what to do I just didn't know how to actually tell the difference.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Royalt239 View Post
    So then I guess my confusion is when I see balls that are made for dry or oily lanes. But that's a far different discussion. I just open bowl and like Amyers said I let the ball tell me what to do I just didn't know how to actually tell the difference.
    Don't put much stock in manufactures oil ratings. What's dry to me may be wet to you. On a lot of THS patterns it doesn't matter anyway everything outside of 10 is dry on purpose. It's really something you have to develop a feel and know what to look for. Once you have a good starting line down at your home center go bowl a few other houses you'll figure out which ones have more or less oil pretty quick.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Don't put much stock in manufactures oil ratings. What's dry to me may be wet to you. On a lot of THS patterns it doesn't matter anyway everything outside of 10 is dry on purpose. It's really something you have to develop a feel and know what to look for. Once you have a good starting line down at your home center go bowl a few other houses you'll figure out which ones have more or less oil pretty quick.
    In my own experience, my Vandal is good for all types of conditions. But it's also a very aggressive ball. Too aggressive for beginners.

And the THS is supposed to be a very forgiving pattern for us because of it being dry to the outside. That's why most bowlers target the 10 on a THS. And the opposite is true for a Sport pattern. Target the 10 on most sport patterns and you'll be lucky to break 100! lol

If there is a certain ball or balls you're looking at, I would suggest going to youtube.com and check out Lane Side Reviews. That's the first place I go to when I'm looking at adding to my arsenal. If there are a couple of balls that are very close in comparison, my next step is to see my PSO, who happens to be Johnny Petraglia, Jr.

I know he's a Brunswick/DV8 man and a Staffer with Brunswick, and we will talk in depth.

Nothing better than to work with a PSO who also happens to be a staffer of the same equipment you're using! lol
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Chats: 0

also If you are playing fresh oil you will see an oil ring (or a section of them) on your ball track. but again that does not mean you have heavy oil down. In League I always thought it interesting to watch all the perfectly straight ball bowlers wipe their ball off after each roll.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessiewoodard57 View Post
    also If you are playing fresh oil you will see an oil ring (or a section of them) on your ball track. but again that does not mean you have heavy oil down. In League I always thought it interesting to watch all the perfectly straight ball bowlers wipe their ball off after each roll.
    AND even when you think things are all dried up you'll always manage to find oil on the ball! lol

Just remember to wipe your ball off after each shot. While pearl coverstocks don't absorb nearly as much as the reactive resins, they still absorb it. Personally I use an approved cleaner on my towel after each shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast