Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brunswick Vintage Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by ep1977 View Post
    All of the comparisons I've read for these 2 balls have put them very close for a player with my style. Same length, backend, and total hook.
    That's the problem with comparisons/ball reviews/scales. Once you realize that there are only four components that determine ball reaction; core, layout, cover material and surface, and that surface can and usually should be changed to fit your style, you will have control of your arsenal yourself without misguided and often prejudicial marketing verbage.

Chats: 32

All of the comparisons I've read for these 2 balls have put them very close for a player with my style. Same length, backend, and total hook.
    From what I've seen myself I would say the VDZ is slightly earlier with a little more total hook and slightly less backend than the hectic I agree they are pretty close but with a slight surface change the VDZ would work as your bench mark pretty well just change the surface to around 3k and you would have plenty of separation.

The Scandal is even more aggressive than the Lock unless you speed dominate or bowling on very heavy conditions most bowlers don't see the conditions to use that kind of ball much.

The Paradox pearl is a pretty aggressive ball but more usable for most than the Scandal if you need a longer ball to switch off the lock from it would be a good choice. The biggest hole I see in your bag is that middle of the road bench mark ball and I really don't think the Scandal or the Paradox pearl fit that bill but that's just my opinion.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    From what I've seen myself I would say the VDZ is slightly earlier with a little more total hook and slightly less backend than the hectic I agree they are pretty close but with a slight surface change the VDZ would work as your bench mark pretty well just change the surface to around 3k and you would have plenty of separation.

The Scandal is even more aggressive than the Lock unless you speed dominate or bowling on very heavy conditions most bowlers don't see the conditions to use that kind of ball much.

The Paradox pearl is a pretty aggressive ball but more usable for most than the Scandal if you need a longer ball to switch off the lock from it would be a good choice. The biggest hole I see in your bag is that middle of the road bench mark ball and I really don't think the Scandal or the Paradox pearl fit that bill but that's just my opinion.
    I agree. Please note the correlation between what I said earlier, and what Ameyers has observed: The VDZ is slightly earlier (rg 2.50 vs. 2.56), with a little more total hook (Diff. 0.048 vs. 0.034), with a little less backend (Brunswick noted for more friction in the oil and Roto Grip for more friction in the dry). My point is, as always, if you learn about modern bowling balls, you can make very accurate educated guesses as to what a ball will do for you based on the core number and the cover materials based on the manufacturer with the understanding that the OOB finish is neither magic nor sacred, and will usually need to be changed to get the most out of the ball for you.

I don't disagree with any of the assessments made here.

However, with what I was looking at and what my PSO suggested, the VDZ was going to be better overall than the Mastermind Brainiac, and while both would be good on sport patterns, the VZD would go a little longer and have a better overall performance than the MB.

When it comes down to it, there really isn't a bad ball out here these days. It's just a matter of what is going to fit you best for your type of game.

While I love what I have in my arsenal, I can't bring myself to always having what the pros have, and the Thug Life is one that I do not like. Ryan Ciminelli loves it, but after trying it I wanted no part of it.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Chats: 0

I have just won the Storm Phaze here so that will be in the bag as well. I am hoping to be able to trade either the Paradox Pearl or the Scandal for the Snap Lock. I would prefer to trade the scandal tho. Do you consider the VDZ a middle of the road bench mark ball? Would that ball be ok in the first league game on the fresh?
    Last edited by ep1977; 05-20-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

Chats: 32

I have just won the Storm Phaze here so that will be in the bag as well. I am hoping to be able to trade either the Paradox Pearl or the Scandal for the Snap Lock. I would prefer to trade the scandal tho. Do you consider the VDZ a middle of the road bench mark ball? Would that ball be ok in the first league game on the fresh?
    I think for most bowlers you would probably want to change the surface. The ball is a little too long with a little more backend in the OOB condition to make a good bench mark for the average bowler. With my slower speed it works well OOB but as I mentioned earlier for most people as a ball to start on the fresh I would adjust it somewhere between 2k-4k to give it a little earlier read and reduce the backend somewhat. I have two friends who are using the ball that way one at 2k the other at 4k and it works really well on an average house pattern and even on some lighter sport shots. With a surface change the VDZ will still be later than the Phaze and have a different motion.

Actually Lock, Snap Lock or Paradox Pearl, Phaze, VDZ, Hectic, Loco would be a heck of a nice bag in my opinion. You would have something for almost anything your going to see. I might actually prefer the Paradox Pearl myself over the Snap Lock only seen a couple of them but both looked good. Storm's high end pearls are home runs or junk there doesn't seen to be much middle ground. The phase is a strange ball you'll love it or hate it. The ball starts early and is very rolly almost like a Brunswick piece but the shape is different.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I think for most bowlers you would probably want to change the surface. The ball is a little too long with a little more backend in the OOB condition to make a good bench mark for the average bowler. With my slower speed it works well OOB but as I mentioned earlier for most people as a ball to start on the fresh I would adjust it somewhere between 2k-4k to give it a little earlier read and reduce the backend somewhat. I have two friends who are using the ball that way one at 2k the other at 4k and it works really well on an average house pattern and even on some lighter sport shots. With a surface change the VDZ will still be later than the Phaze and have a different motion.

Actually Lock, Snap Lock or Paradox Pearl, Phaze, VDZ, Hectic, Loco would be a heck of a nice bag in my opinion. You would have something for almost anything your going to see. I might actually prefer the Paradox Pearl myself over the Snap Lock only seen a couple of them but both looked good. Storm's high end pearls are home runs or junk there doesn't seen to be much middle ground. The phase is a strange ball you'll love it or hate it. The ball starts early and is very rolly almost like a Brunswick piece but the shape is different.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I've never used the Phaze but I'm looking forward to trying it, not sure how I'll have it drilled yet. I like my Lock alot but I prefer polished balls and that is why I am interested in the Snap Lock. I still have a few weeks before I have to pick the 2 balls so maybe I will try to get my hands on a VDZ to try it out.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've never used the Phaze but I'm looking forward to trying it, not sure how I'll have it drilled yet. I like my Lock alot but I prefer polished balls and that is why I am interested in the Snap Lock. I still have a few weeks before I have to pick the 2 balls so maybe I will try to get my hands on a VDZ to try it out.
    If you prefer polished balls, why not just polish your Lock?

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    If you prefer polished balls, why not just polish your Lock?
    I've thought about it.....

I've thought about it.....
    Don't think about it... DO IT! It can always be changed back. Personally, there is rarely a week that goes by that I don't change the surface on at least one of the balls in my arsenal. If I like the change, it stays. If I don't like it, I change it back. This really isn't rocket science... it bowling!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast