Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad coaching leads to horrible performance

While there are times I would like to practice I can't. But I am going to start getting the understanding and feel of 2 handed bowling just for the heck of it.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    While there are times I would like to practice I can't. But I am going to start getting the understanding and feel of 2 handed bowling just for the heck of it.
    And then you journey towards the dark side will be complete...

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    and then you journey towards the dark side will be complete...
    roflmao! : )

Chats: 0

Getting coaching doesn't mean you'll improve at all. A huge part of it is your ability to do what is needed to get to that next level. Everyone has a top end to their talent. I'm hoping I haven't reached my zenith, and I hope you haven't reached yours.

On that note, I'm going to see my coach Tuesday morning. First time in forever but I'm looking forward to it. She knows her stuff and I trust her. We'll see how it goes.

What is Bowling?

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    Getting coaching doesn't mean you'll improve at all. A huge part of it is your ability to do what is needed to get to that next level. Everyone has a top end to their talent. I'm hoping I haven't reached my zenith, and I hope you haven't reached yours.

Thanks bud. I really don't believe that I've come close to my "zenith". It's just working hard and pressing forward.

Chats: 32

I started working with a coach about 4 or 5 months ago. I came back to the game after a 20 year layoff and averaged about 170 during a summer league. The following fall I averaged over 200 more most of the year but hit a slump at the end and finished with a 196 average. That slump continued through the summer and I averaged about 175 then they closed my home center and this fall was off to a horrible start. I finally found a coach here and for most of it I've struggled. I would seem to make some progress then get back out of whack then back again. My wife and daughter have been working with the same coach and honestly if it wasn't for the progress I've seen them making I may have given up on it.

We worked on timing and adjustments first and things improved then we worked on not cupping the wrist and it would look ok with him there and I would go to league and drop games in the 120's. I would give it up and we would work on other things and then we went back to not cupping the wrist again the scores cratered and after 3 weeks I gave it up again. I really felt like I was just wasting my time and money at the point. We spent a couple of sessions working on timing and spinal tilt and he asked be about not cupping the release again so I tried it again. My scores dropped but I was in the 160's that way and I at least felt at that level I could try it and not embarrass myself. Then it was 160's and some 190's. I finally seem to have put it together the last five weeks I haven't thrown less than 600 yet 12 league sessions.

I've had some hot streaks in the past and bowled multiple 600's in a row but in the past I had to bowl almost perfectly to get it. By perfect I mean very few maybe 1 split over a three game set and make all my spares as my strike rate has been low. I think the most impressive thing about this has been the fact I don't even feel like I'm bowling particularly well but I'm scoring. I think I only have 2 clean games during this run. over the last three weeks I've had a 268,264,251, and 2 249 games. Moral of the story is sometimes you just have to be ready to listen and have the rest of your game in line because if not the best advice can not work or maybe I'm just on a hot streak who knows.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I'm interested in finding a coach but looking at the bowl.com, most around me are only level I coaches. So my question is how do I know someone is going to be a good coach?

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by IHateTenPins View Post
    I'm interested in finding a coach but looking at the bowl.com, most around me are only level I coaches. So my question is how do I know someone is going to be a good coach?
    Talk to your PSO and upper level bowlers is going to be your only option. I faced the same situation in my search and luckily my PSO knew of one who I later found out worked with almost all of the high end bowlers in our area. It's basically that or prepare to make long drives. My other option was a coach three hours away in Cincinnati.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Talk to your PSO and upper level bowlers is going to be your only option. I faced the same situation in my search and luckily my PSO knew of one who I later found out worked with almost all of the high end bowlers in our area. It's basically that or prepare to make long drives. My other option was a coach three hours away in Cincinnati.
    Ok thanks, I'll speak to my local PSO and see what he says.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast