Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad coaching leads to horrible performance

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Bad coaching leads to horrible performance

So..... I met with a new coach a couple weeks ago and felt a little weird after the lesson. I wasn't sure if I learned anything or just messed up everything I knew. Now I've only been bowling for a little under a year and ended the winter with a 190 average. Well my average has been the worst since my lesson. I bowled a tournament today in the 300's. It was a team tournament and probably the most embarrassing moment in my short bowling career. Needless to say I went to the pro shop, in a totally different house and started talking to an older gentleman. Turns out he was a mentor to my coach. The man was not very keen on my previous coach to say the least. We kept talking and I discovered that he was a coach himself and needed someone to get these awful habits the previous coach had engrained in me. So I suggested that we did a quick lesson. Well let me say, this was the best lesson I have had EVER! This older gentleman had me throwing the ball like I never have. I've always been a down and in player, but he had me bowling more like a cranker. I was amazed because I have tried and tried to just get left with absolutely no success. He fixed my gripping problem, approach and delivery in 30 minutes at that! I have not been so happy and sad in the same bowling day. I've bombed every outing since the previous coach. Get this; he's 74 and just as vigorous as any 40 year old. I'm excited again. I'm not downing any coach with a USBC certification but between these two, I'll take the old guy with no certification any day. Wow.

Cranker

Awesome, it makes me want to go get a lesson from the old guy too. I think the USBC certification and the way they teach is very text book but everyone bowls differently and I think the best coaches take what they see in a player and make them better in their style.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaby987 View Post
    So..... I met with a new coach a couple weeks ago and felt a little weird after the lesson. I wasn't sure if I learned anything or just messed up everything I knew. Now I've only been bowling for a little under a year and ended the winter with a 190 average. Well my average has been the worst since my lesson. I bowled a tournament today in the 300's. It was a team tournament and probably the most embarrassing moment in my short bowling career. Needless to say I went to the pro shop, in a totally different house and started talking to an older gentleman. Turns out he was a mentor to my coach. The man was not very keen on my previous coach to say the least. We kept talking and I discovered that he was a coach himself and needed someone to get these awful habits the previous coach had engrained in me. So I suggested that we did a quick lesson. Well let me say, this was the best lesson I have had EVER! This older gentleman had me throwing the ball like I never have. I've always been a down and in player, but he had me bowling more like a cranker. I was amazed because I have tried and tried to just get left with absolutely no success. He fixed my gripping problem, approach and delivery in 30 minutes at that! I have not been so happy and sad in the same bowling day. I've bombed every outing since the previous coach. Get this; he's 74 and just as vigorous as any 40 year old. I'm excited again. I'm not downing any coach with a USBC certification but between these two, I'll take the old guy with no certification any day. Wow.
    Sometimes that's all it takes. Hearing a different voice can make all the difference in the world, and while I have respect for those who are coaches, I can always tell when I'm not doing something right and go back to the basics.

While there may come a time when I will want to have a coach, I don't want one who is going to change my game dramatically. Just a tweak here and a tweak there.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Pin Crusher

Maybe you should be the coach. In less than a year you are averaging 190. 2 more years and you might be a PBA guy on TV. There are people on here who have been bowling for years and years that don't average 190. Check out their profiles.

What is Bowling?

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Maybe you should be the coach. In less than a year you are averaging 190. 2 more years and you might be a PBA guy on TV. There are people on here who have been bowling for years and years that don't average 190. Check out their profiles.
    Thanks fordman1! It's interesting you say that. That's what the coach from yesterday said. I don't know about all that, but it would be cool!

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post

While there may come a time when I will want to have a coach, I don't want one who is going to change my game dramatically. Just a tweak here and a tweak there.
    I couldn't agree more! I am not a robot. Teach me to improve the game I have.

Chats: 204

I don't "disagree" per se...BUT...

...there is really no universal "good coach" "bad coach" litmus test. And age is probably not the one I'd choose....because many of the old timers haven't embraced the new game and modern bowling technology, etc... Does that mean "all old coaches are bad". Definitely not. It's not something you can define that way.

I've had instruction (formal, informal, paid, free, etc...) from 6 different coaches...all of them at "least" USBC bronze level. As young as early 30s...to as old as mid-60s. None of them...even one of the coaches considered to be "the best if not one of the best" coaches in the World (Mark Baker)...none of them were able to just watch me bowl and then fix everything. It takes time, hard work, persistence, money, and commitment.

Mark told me early on when I started taking lessons that most of his students that come to him average >125 and <190. The way he explained it...people < 125 don't know they need lessons...and people > 190 don't think they need lessons. In some ways...the higher the average you have...the harder you will be to coach. Because, deep down, even though you're taking a lesson...you "think" you know it all. And you don't. As soon as they ask you to do something "different"...you struggle and throw it out and claim the coach doesn't know what they're talking about. Do you know how many "slumps"...some as long as 4-5 months...I've had to go through to improve my game? Fixing footwork and timing and release and form...understanding ball motion....these aren't just "tricks" that you learn in a 30-minute lesson.

Now, in agreement with you...the better coaches are able to use their knowledge and experience to help YOUR game. As long as YOUR game isn't horrible...they can usually help you get better without starting over from scratch. But there are some things...you simply have to fix...or there's not much they can do to get you off the 190 plateau. The "worse" coaches (not 'bad'...just not as good) will try to change your game to match their game. Now, they have more knowledge than your league buddies who will coach you the same way...but it's essentially a flawed coaching method...unless you're starting with a 80 average bowler or something like that.

I see 3 coaches right now....2 regularly...and 1 (Rob M) when I have an opportunity. I'd say, even though the 3 coaches have totally different styles, methods, beliefs, and experiences...they probably teach 70% the same stuff. Very rarely will one of them contradict the other. Now, the other 30%...thats where each of them has their own 'value' to me as a student. Rob, for example, knows a lot about modern bowling (thus, his website called modernbowling.com). He knows a great deal about different ball manufacturers and bowling technology. We don't always agree about his beliefs...but he's right more than he's wrong. Thats something I don't really get from my other two coaches...who are ball reps and totally understand ball technology...but they tend to really focus on their line of equipment. If I ask them for their thoughts on a ball...it's going to be tainted by the fact that it's their job to steer me towards their brand.

But thats just an example. What I really like about my coaches (and where Rob is at a disadvantage because I can't get coaching from him on a regular basis), is because I keep going back to them...on a monthly basis...they know where I started...they know the things we've worked on...they know what has "worked" and what "hasn't"...so it's a "process". Whatever coach you choose...old or young...certified or not...keep two things in mind:

1) If you're not willing to see your average go down before it goes up...you might not get as much out of coaching. Coaches aren't there to just tell you that you're awesome and to keep doing everything the same way because you know everything and threw a few 300-games. If they aren't challenging you...you're not going to improve much...especially at the 190+ average level.

2) Some things they teach you...won't work. Try them...struggle...and at the next lesson report back about that struggle...and if the coach is any good...they will "probably" change their approach. If what they are trying to get you to do...isn't working...they will likely have a couple other ways to accomplish the change that won't upset your game as much but will accomplish the same ultimate goal.

Or...learn to bowl 2-handed and then you'll be the best bowler ever without any need for lessons or anything else.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Very informative thread. As a USBC Silver Level Coach (I'm the Rob to whom Aslan refers below), I can say with confidence from experience that the USBC Coaching program is NOT a text book or rubber stamp program. USBC Coaches are trained not only in bowling, but in teaching as well. The difference between the levels; Level One, Bronze Level, Silver Level, and Gold Level, is in approach as well as depth of knowledge. Level One teaches bowling basics for beginning bowlers. Bronze Level takes it one step further focusing on mid-range bowlers in terms of averages. Level One and Bronze teach bowling from the beginning of the approach forward, whereas, beginning with Silver Level, the focus is from the foul line backward. In other words, where is the bowler at the foul line and what needs to be tweaked to alter that final position.

I have worked with several coaches during my years of bowling. Some have been more effective than others, but all of them have helped me in one way or another. Sometimes I've realized years later that something in my current game was the direct result of something I was taught years before.

No USBC Certified Coach will ever teach you to bowl like he/she does. Part of the training is in learning to work with what the bowler has, once you determine where the bowler wants to go.

One of the most distressing things that I have ever seen was a well-meaning high average bowler who would come to the lanes early for league, wearing a baseball cap and carrying an Apple Tablet. He would always try to help other bowlers and really believed that he could coach. The problem was that he was not trained to see cause and effect like a real coach. One day I saw him trying to help a bowler who had a really terrible release. He kept trying to change the bowlers release without seeing that it was caused by timing that was two to three balls late. It couldn't be fixed until the timing was fixed, but he didn't know enough about coaching to realize that.

As stated below, coaches can say the same thing in different ways. Sometimes something that a coach tells you will really hit home, and you will realize that others have tried to tell you the same thing, just using different words that didn't work for you.

What is Bowling?

Rob and Aslan I totally understand your points and I agree also. It was just that, for me, finding out the coach I was going to was getting advice from the elder coach was such a coincidence I needed to see what it was all about. The elder understood my game immediately. He addressed the same issues as the other actually but I felt he did it more successfully for me. The previous coach seemed to fish around a little and seemed unsure from time to time. Nice guy and knowledgable but we didn't connect. The elder showed me how to change my approach ( from a 3 step developed after a broken foot ) to a 4 step which gave me more balance and control over the ball. He also realized that I was thumbing it at the very end of my release due to the way the ball was drilled, something the younger certified picked up on also. They both agreed on my ball speed, which is around 17mph and rev rate. The elder got all of this under control in 30 minutes. I worked with the other for 2 hours.

My thing is that if the elder can get the quirks fixed that much faster, the closer I am to the consistency and versatility that I'm looking for. And it does hurt that the elder is half the price.

Pin Crusher

You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shi*. If a person is a really good athlete they can usually be taught. Some people just can't. I have known people who went to coaches took classes and still sucked. Some pick it up instantly and some never learn no matter how much the practice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast