Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Don't Understand about the USBC

Default What I Don't Understand about the USBC

The USBC has done a horrible job of protecting the integrity of the sport of bowling. Their lack of regulation of lane conditions has resulted in house shots where 200+ averages are the norm, and awards scores are rampant. What I don't understand is why this same organization insists on putting out a lane condition for their yearly National Open Championships where these same house bowlers struggle to average 160. The USBC is raising their dues next year out of a need, I'm sure, of keeping up with all of the awards that they give out, and yet they actively encourage bowlers not to return to the National Championships to because of the struggle to score. Does this make any sense to you?

Banned
    Chats: 68

Why complain about the situation when you clearly don't want the solution.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

In real world term The house shots are what they are because it makes the customers happy. Bowlers scoring low scores do not keep bowling even if their high averages are due to or in spite of their poor play.
    ABowling ball rolled into the 1-5 between 3-6 degrees will strike every time. But draw it on paper a straight line from the lane on your right to the 1-5 and tell me you can get your ball to go down the lane and follow that single line ?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The USBC has done a horrible job of protecting the integrity of the sport of bowling.
    OH another one............................

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Why complain about the situation when you clearly don't want the solution.
    I have been talking to USBC Board Members about putting together a proposal for next year's convention with a plan for gradually tightening up lane condition requirements to bring the integrity back. Just because I don't use plastic bowling balls for my strike balls doesn't mean I don't care. What have you done lately to change anything, other than to complain yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    OH another one............................

At the risk of being accused of being the eternal optimist, I don't think the horse is dead... he's just been drugged by over-inflated egos fed by artificially high averages.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I have been talking to USBC Board Members about putting together a proposal for next year's convention with a plan for gradually tightening up lane condition requirements to bring the integrity back. Just because I don't use plastic bowling balls for my strike balls doesn't mean I don't care. What have you done lately to change anything, other than to complain yourself?
    Well, I give them first hand evidence that you don't need expensive bowling balls to achieve high scores.

Most people have either never learned how to earn a hook, or have had the ability to do so atrophy due to bowling with resin balls on house conditions.

The subset of these people who venture into sports conditions realize that without those dry boards to make the ball rev up, it doesn't "wrinkle"

Ever wonder why the Pros have no problem getting the ball to hook on their conditions?

They put lift into the ball, while the house bowler is taught to just dump the ball and let friction make the ball roll.

I don't want USBC to force harder conditions on everyone. Let the recreational bowlers have their "fun".

Just make a separate division for bowlers interested in skill.

USBC was close with sport condition, but that is too drastic a difference from the house shot, and in the wrong direction.

Cut back on the oil significantly,

Take the idea of Teen Masters oil quantity, but limit the distance to 24 feet.

Pre-Urethane, the mindset of most bowlers was accuracy worked best, and the straighter you threw the ball, the more accurate you could be.

During the urethane days, people were presented with evidence that entry angle was more important than accuracy.

Lets go to 24 feet of oil, and 36 feet of dry back ends.

Each person can make their choice of how to play based on their abilities.

Straight, or arc the ball into the pocket.

In either case they're going to have to work at being consistent.

That means practice.

The good thing is, even if the lanes are oiled as a THS during a practice session, the area you are going to arc the ball out to will still be dry.

And if the house doesn't oil for open bowling, that dry area can only get so dry.

The bowlers need to take back the sport.

USBC isn't going to do it, and the proprietors sure aren't going to force it on people.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Personally I hope everyone that complains about the job the USBC does gets what they wish for. Then there will be new stuff to read on the boards.

At first everyone will say how great it is, then after a few position rounds and tournaments losses watch what happens.

You'll come on the boards and read where the same people are now complaining about how the USBC went overboard or how they did it wrong, etc. (and it won't just be the over-inflated egos fed by artificially high averages either)

Don't think it would happen?

Look at Motiv and the Jackal debacle, People have been complaining a long time about how the USBC doesn't enforce the rules. So they enforce one, what happened? Everyone said the USBC went overboard, they did it wrong, etc.

I hope your proposal go's good, just don't be surprised at how it unfolds.

The Dead Horse List:
    • Bash the USBC horse
    • Two Hand Bowler horse
    • Sandbagger horse
    • Handicap horse
    • "CG" the static weight horse
    • "Reactive Resin" the Cheater Ball horse
    Last edited by bowl1820; 05-29-2016 at 12:42 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Would it do any good to have a 33 week season, with the last week a championship roll-off week between first and second half winners, to have four 8-week sessions where the oil pattern changes?

Or, change nothing about the sport besides the pins? Keep the same weight but lower the center of gravity and make them harder to knock over?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast