Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What I Don't Understand about the USBC

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by ep1977 View Post
    Look at what golf does with the US Open. The coarse is always insanely difficult and people always complain but I think the US Open/ Nationals in golf and bowling should be the most difficult conditions the athletes will face in there lives.
    In golf, the US Open is only difficult once you've made a bad shot.

In bowling, when they flood the lane with oil, even good shots don't wrinkle for a lot of bowlers.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Jaescrub View Post
    This is the truth I have been saying this for a long time now. I would love if every week it was a different shot. I know it would help make myself a better bowler.

I bowl at classic Lanes in Greenfield, WI. It's pretty much a different shot every week, even though they say it's the same. You should hear the retirees P and M.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

NOTE: This is not directed at any one person. Things that are said apply to all. Thanks.

Before I get to my opinion here, I have to say that I'm running for one of the Southern Nevada USBC Board seats in July.

Not that our 5 second commercial is over, here's my take.

Here in Vegas, a THS will range anywhere from 37-42 ft with basically the same oiling pattern. And no matter where you bowl you will be able to adjust to the different lengths because the THS has been designed to be a very forgiving pattern to those who only play on a THS.

While I have no qualms with the lengths, I think the oiling pattern should be changed a bit to make it a little more challenging. Spread it out a little more with a little more volume.

Now, if you also recall, the USBC is also going to not post their oiling patterns (graphs, etc.) for some of their events until after the entire event has been completed so that nobody has a distinct advantage.

So lets apply this to the leagues as well.

Next thing would be to change the lane certification process.

As one who has been a part of this process this year here in Vegas, I can tell you it is not always easy, especially for the poor guys who have to take measurements in the pits. Doing the Southern Nevada certifications take about 2 months to complete, and being up around 3:30 - 4am isn't always pleasant. But we do it.

What I would like to see, is for the oiling patterns be checked every 3 months, and if need be, to do it again if a complaint is filed by a league about the conditions. BUT there has to be a caveat.

If any league files a complaint about the lane conditions (oiling), the local USBC would come out and do their "tape" of the oil pattern(s) to see of the comply with the rules. If they do not, the bowling center would pay the fee and a fine for the USBC coming out. If the oiling does comply with the specs, then the league filing the complaint will pay for the fee.

Same thing would apply to any of the other specs for a bowling alley and complaints that are filed.

Yes, this is only a band aid for the situation, but might be the best thing for now. Making radical changes to the oiling and anything else is going to push bowlers away from the sport that is getting smaller. Make the changes subtle as you go along and it will be easier to take.

I agree that changes need to be made, but they can't be done overnight. But the changes can only get started if enough people come out to the local board meetings and speak up. While talking to a board member helps, it takes more than just one person to be speaking up, because they are only hearing from one person. They need to hear it from many people. The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one (Mr. Spock, Star Trek, the Wrath of Khan).

By not showing at your local USBC meetings, your voices will not be heard as loudly as they would in person.

Just as I am running for one of the board seats here in SO NV, it won't be much of a run if the members do not come out and vote, and it also risks the continuation of having people on the board that you think should not be there.

I'm certainly no politician and will never claim to be, but neither are most of those who do run for these offices. They also know that once they're in, it's tough to get rid of them when their term is up because the members don't show up to make their votes count.

This is not just about me running, but for anybody else that decides to run for their local board. Being involved in bowling by going out a couple of nights every weeks isn't all there is to it. Getting involved by attending these meetings and elections is crucial to every local association.

By staying home you are not part of the solution. It makes you a part of the problem. And if you're not willing to be part of the solution, then the complaints, concerns and the future of bowling go absolutely nowhere.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by Jaescrub View Post
    This is the truth I have been saying this for a long time now. I would love if every week it was a different shot. I know it would help make myself a better bowler.
    This might be true "but" many house bowlers bowl once a week and don't have the money or time to go practice or but a bunch of bowling balls. They want to go there on Friday night and drink some beer have a good time and keep the same shot.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post

Now, if you also recall, the USBC is also going to not post their oiling patterns (graphs, etc.) for some of their events until after the entire event has been completed so that nobody has a distinct advantage.

So lets apply this to the leagues as well.
    Apply that to leagues as well?

Now I don't how it is in NV, But I've been bowling for many years and from all the posts I've read from others that tell about their house . The majority of houses don't tell the league bowlers what the pattern is in the first place. So that would be kind of a moot point

The only time I seen a pattern sheet at a house was when I bowled on a PBA exp. league. The majority of houses treat the league house shot like it state secret and they'd be shot if they told.

The closest I got was they told me it was pattern #2 on the machine and they lost the manual that told what that was. (I've heard some whoopers before but OMG)

As a side note:
    What they didn't know was I had and still do, a copy of the lane machine manual. The preloaded Pattern #2 was a standard 42' house shot. Which I figure they tweaked.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 05-30-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    This might be true "but" many house bowlers bowl once a week and don't have the money or time to go practice or but a bunch of bowling balls. They want to go there on Friday night and drink some beer have a good time and keep the same shot.
    Hey I'm with that too but I would love a new shot every week. I'm by no means a good bowler, I might get three games of practice a week, and I only have three bowling balls. Yes I know before someone like VDub or any of the people that know me from here all the balls I won two years ago I gave away lol.

Pin Crusher

I guess you didn't understand my meaning. They don't want someone changing the shot every week. The weather and humidity screw it up enough. The harder you make the shot the more bowlers you use. Keep it for tournaments. Look at your local events. Every year it is the same bowlers.

As I coach, I would LOVE to see a different shot each week just to get bowlers out of the habit of *** U MING that the shot will be the same as last week... it rarely is!

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Apply that to leagues as well?

Now I don't how it is in NV, But I've been bowling for many years and from all the posts I've read from others that tell about their house . The majority of houses don't tell the league bowlers what the pattern is in the first place. So that would be kind of a moot point

The only time I seen a pattern sheet at a house was when I bowled on a PBA exp. league. The majority of houses treat the league house shot like it state secret and they'd be shot if they told.

The closest I got was they told me it was pattern #2 on the machine and they lost the manual that told what that was. (I've heard some whoopers before but OMG)

As a side note:
    What they didn't know was I had and still do, a copy of the lane machine manual. The preloaded Pattern #2 was a standard 42' house shot. Which I figure they tweaked.
    Every place that I have gone to here has managed to get me a sheet of their THS.

And actually, the point is far from moot. If the lanes are conditioned in a way that is other than what is considered a standard or house shot, then you're using a sport shot and the league has to be certified and marked as Sport/Challenge.

And for those who only throw a straight ball, the pattern means absolutely nothing to them. They are throwing down the middle through the heaviest oil in the patterns.

For those of us who throw with a hook, the equipment we choose makes a world of difference when throwing on a Sport pattern, and tonight was a classic example.

In the house I was bowling at, it is supposed to be their THS and the equipment I was using was not working by any stretch of the imagination. And it did not matter where I was playing either.

Late in the first game, the people who condition the lanes came to us and told us that they had 2 different patterns! Both were sport patterns with one of them very flat and with a larger volume of oil. That was major information to me! I changed my equipment and it made a big difference as to where I was going to play, and in my ball reaction.
    Last edited by 1VegasBowler; 05-31-2016 at 02:11 AM.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    Every place that I have gone to here has managed to get me a sheet of their THS.

And actually, the point is far from moot. If the lanes are conditioned in a way that is other than what is considered a standard or house shot, then you're using a sport shot and the league has to be certified and marked as Sport/Challenge.

And for those who only throw a straight ball, the pattern means absolutely nothing to them. They are throwing down the middle through the heaviest oil in the patterns.

For those of us who throw with a hook, the equipment we choose makes a world of difference when throwing on a Sport pattern, and tonight was a classic example.

In the house I was bowling at, it is supposed to be their THS and the equipment I was using was not working by any stretch of the imagination. And it did not matter where I was playing either.

Late in the first game, the people who condition the lanes came to us and told us that they had 2 different patterns! Both were sport patterns with one of them very flat and with a larger volume of oil. That was major information to me! I changed my equipment and it made a big difference as to where I was going to play, and in my ball reaction.
    There is a set criteria for a sport shot.

There is a lot of space between what would be called a Typical House Shot, and a sport shot.

If you were to completely strip the lanes of all oil, that wouldn't be a THS, and it wouldn't qualify as a sport shot either.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast