Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrong Pattern for League

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Mike are you sure it wouldn't be closer? The low average guy is just guessing any way He probably wouldn't drop as much. He is most likely throwing a straight ball so oil pattern don't mean much to him, oops or her.

If the 200 bowler has any experience with Sport shots, they will recognize the abnormalities during the 10 minutes of practice and start making adjustments right away, and the 6 pin deficit won't mean a whole heck of a lot.

I know I'm not good enough yet to know what the pattern is if it's not a THS. What I do know is when the ball reaction isn't good during warmup, I know it's a Sport pattern, and until I get enough experience on them I'm going to have to work harder to see what is going to work best.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I watched as bowler after bowler continued to stand on the big dot and hit the second arrow and never get the ball to the head pin.
    Webster has a word for that ...Insanity..doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results LOL
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Pin Crusher

Bowler

What should separate the better bowlers is the ability to know they have made a good shot. If the result with a good shot is not being in the pocket then the bowler must realize they need to move. There are two kinds of low average bowler. One are the house ball bowlers that only bowl once or twice a week but pretty much roll the ball down the center of the lane. The other low average bowlers are the ones that understand the fundamentals of the game,but their limited by their equipment. 10 # balls just do not carry and their unable to do much better till they can swing more .
    The second group is more likely to still bowl their average because their game doen't depend on strikes.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmore View Post
    What should separate the better bowlers is the ability to know they have made a good shot. If the result with a good shot is not being in the pocket then the bowler must realize they need to move. There are two kinds of low average bowler. One are the house ball bowlers that only bowl once or twice a week but pretty much roll the ball down the center of the lane. The other low average bowlers are the ones that understand the fundamentals of the game,but their limited by their equipment. 10 # balls just do not carry and their unable to do much better till they can swing more .
    The second group is more likely to still bowl their average because their game doen't depend on strikes.
    If you're learning how to bowl, and are on a THS condition, then there is no direct connection between making a good shot, and one that strikes.

That makes it very hard to develop knowledge of what a good shot feels like.

You can release the ball many different ways, and the oil will guide the ball to the pocket if you're playing the right angles.

Likewise you can release the ball very well, but not end up close to the pocket if you're playing the wrong angle.

Before the THS, the oil pattern didn't dictate one angle being significantly better than another.

You could play straight at the pocket and be competitive because most of your opponents were playing the same.

You could hook the ball, but you had to develop that power while not significantly degrading your accuracy.

On a THS, it doesn't take much effort to hook a resin ball, and the long heavy wall of oil keeps the ball online to the pocket.

It was a sport back when the human element determined the scores, not the equipment.

Also, the low average bowler not only doesn't depend on strikes, they tend not to depend on too many spares either, otherwise they wouldn't be a low average bowler.

Bowler

While I am NO pro I highly disagree on the definition of a good shot...
    BY the very definition I see many pros who carry many shots which are by NO means a perfect strike.
    Esp the power players of today. If your hitting the head pin to the wall and depending on it to come back off the wall then a perfect strike is if NOT what your getting.
    But if I line up correctly , and I do not wander and do release the ball correctly and hit MY mark clean then what ever result I get can determines where I go next. And that's what I mean a good shot.

Pin Crusher

Jim you need to remember that the Pro bowlers are throwing a heavier ball than you and are throwing it with a lot more speed and have a better angle. They know how to use the super duper side boards that throw pins back harder than any we used to have in the past.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12