Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrong Pattern for League

Chats: 0

Default Wrong Pattern for League

There was a tournament last night at my league house and they were using the Turnpike sport pattern. The manager and the guys running the tournament swore they only oiled a specific amount of lanes with Turnpike but I found out that the mechanic did the entire house because he was to lazy to do 2 different patterns like he was supposed to.

Our league didn't expect to be bowling on this pattern and didn't even know what pattern it was until after we finished so we didn't have any idea on how to attack the pattern. The best anyone did in the league was 35 pins below there average. I was 61 pins below my average. At the very least if I knew what patter it was I would have attacked it differently from game 1.

I was a little disgusted by this since this league costs $26/week and we were treated like they were doing us a favor by even giving us a few lanes at the very end of the house on the opposite side of where all leagues usually play.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

Just one issue: were the lanes the same for everyone? If they were, then it was a level playing field. Perhaps less preconceptions are in order before bowling?

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Just one issue: were the lanes the same for everyone? If they were, then it was a level playing field. Perhaps less preconceptions are in order before bowling?
    Yes the lanes were the same for everyone in the house, those playing the memorial day tournament and those in the league. I don't think it's a preconception to assume the lanes are oiled with the same pattern as every other week of the league. And you may not have an issue with it but I do have an issue with the center manager telling the league bowlers paying good money that there usual pattern was DEFINITELY put down on there lanes when the mechanic who oiled the lanes said otherwise!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ep1977 View Post
    Yes the lanes were the same for everyone in the house, those playing the memorial day tournament and those in the league. I don't think it's a preconception to assume the lanes are oiled with the same pattern as every other week of the league. And you may not have an issue with it but I do have an issue with the center manager telling the league bowlers paying good money that there usual pattern was DEFINITELY put down on there lanes when the mechanic who oiled the lanes said otherwise!
    I think this would have been fun! I bowled my highest scores ever on the highway to hell shot that was put down by accident. I was 50-60 pins over my avg every game from our THS. you just have to roll with it I know your upset about being lied to but at least you can say you got to throw on that pattern

SandBagger

Lanes will tell Tournaments what the pattern is they will be bowling on. Why is it so difficult for centers to post the pattern(s) for leagues. I have heard that the new
    oil machines have dozens of choices. I have even talked to those putting down the pattern and they don't always know what it is, only that the machine was loaded with oil. There is less problem for leagues with bowlers that can read conditions quicker. For the majority of leagues, by the time they have an idea of adjustment they should try, they are in their 3rd game.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    Lanes will tell Tournaments what the pattern is they will be bowling on. Why is it so difficult for centers to post the pattern(s) for leagues. I have heard that the new
    oil machines have dozens of choices. I have even talked to those putting down the pattern and they don't always know what it is, only that the machine was loaded with oil. There is less problem for leagues with bowlers that can read conditions quicker. For the majority of leagues, by the time they have an idea of adjustment they should try, they are in their 3rd game.
    I practice at 4 centers and play leagues in 2 of them. All 4 of these centers ( 2 AMF, 2 Private) treat the oil pattern as if it's the USA's nuclear missile code.

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

sorry to be an *** here, but all I read was "whaaaaaa, I don't know how to read lanes and adjust"

one of the houses I bowl at: has a skilled lane man lay out the sport shot on Wednesday, and then the kids have to put it back to a THS for Thursday's mixed handicap league. some nights i find the shot tougher than it is on Wednesday

we have a handful of whiners that ***** every week, personally I like the challenge and bring an arsenal to deal with it

I've stopped bowling league at one house, simply because they nail the THS every night and you know exactly where to play and with what type of surface
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

A couple of years ago there was a new kid that had just been trained on oiling the lanes. He didn't have enough experience to notice that the oil machine was malfuntioning. It put down oil from the foul line to the pin deck! Beneith the banner that proclaims that these are the best bowlers that Vegas has to offer, I watched as bowler after bowler continued to stand on the big dot and hit the second arrow and never get the ball to the head pin. Bowlers need to learn that there are many, many factors that affect how their balls react from lane to lane, and how to adjust.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    A couple of years ago there was a new kid that had just been trained on oiling the lanes. He didn't have enough experience to notice that the oil machine was malfuntioning. It put down oil from the foul line to the pin deck! Beneith the banner that proclaims that these are the best bowlers that Vegas has to offer, I watched as bowler after bowler continued to stand on the big dot and hit the second arrow and never get the ball to the head pin. Bowlers need to learn that there are many, many factors that affect how their balls react from lane to lane, and how to adjust.
    of the 5 houses I bowl in only 2 are capable of putting down a consistent shot. The other three you are simply guessing on how they will play that week. I've seen onw of the houses here put out a 47 foot sport shot and then the next night just reoil the heads with a THS pattern you want to talk about rough try that out. As long as everybody is playing on the same shot who cares? Those bowlers who can adjust and hit there targets will so ok those that can't wont. Everybody gets way to wrapped up in their averages.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    of the 5 houses I bowl in only 2 are capable of putting down a consistent shot. The other three you are simply guessing on how they will play that week. I've seen onw of the houses here put out a 47 foot sport shot and then the next night just reoil the heads with a THS pattern you want to talk about rough try that out. As long as everybody is playing on the same shot who cares? Those bowlers who can adjust and hit there targets will so ok those that can't wont. Everybody gets way to wrapped up in their averages.
    If this was a scratch league then sure. Everyone is in the same boat.

But if it's a handicap league, and the handicap is based on a different condition, then everyone should care.

Take two bowlers, one a 160 average, and the other a 200 average on the "normal" condition.

The 200 average bowler would have to give 36 pins of handicap (90% of the difference) to the 160 bowler.

Now lets put them both on the same tough condition such that each bowler only achieves 75% of their normal score.

200 becomes 150, while 160 becomes 120.

Since the handicap was 36, the 160 bowler has a 6 pin per game advantage on that condition when the handicap is based on a normal condition.

This concept of even playing field is actually difficult to obtain when handicap is involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast