Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever hear of an old PBA member named Carlise?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default Anyone ever hear of an old PBA member named Carlise?

he must be in his 60's now, I met him today in my senior league. he said he owned a pro shop and was a PBA member way back. he has leg issues now but still throws a nice ball. he is or was also an instructor. His son bowls at oakfield lanes in brandon Fl and averages like 240 he said. The reason I'm asking is because he is giving me advice on how my new ball should be drilled next week. he said pin down and right gives you better options with the hook. that is actually the way my old ball is drilled now but my ball is too old and doesn't work on new surfaces.

thanks
    Lou

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    he must be in his 60's now, I met him today in my senior league. he said he owned a pro shop and was a PBA member way back. he has leg issues now but still throws a nice ball. he is or was also an instructor. His son bowls at oakfield lanes in brandon Fl and averages like 240 he said. The reason I'm asking is because he is giving me advice on how my new ball should be drilled next week. he said pin down and right gives you better options with the hook. that is actually the way my old ball is drilled now but my ball is too old and doesn't work on new surfaces.

thanks
    Lou
    If he uses terms like pin down, and right to describe how the ball is to be drilled, ya gotta question how up to date he is on drilling practices.

Cranker

he actually said pin at 2 o'clock and most pro shops just like to put in at 12.

Banned
    Chats: 68

he actually said pin at 2 o'clock and most pro shops just like to put in at 12.
    The problem is that description does not position the core based on how you roll the ball.

Putting the pin at 2 o'clock is a location relative to the center of your grip.

How you roll the ball (your PAP) is different for each person.

How far the pin is from your PAP changes how much flare you can expect.

If the Pin is at 2 o'clock, your probably going to end up with a short pin to pap distance, which means you end up with a low flaring ball.

Low flaring means the ball tracks over the oil on the surface of the ball multiple times, and results in less hook.

Its like trying to run on ice, but the ice gets attached to your shoes, so even when you're no longer on an ice surface, there is still ice between your shoes and the ground.

A flaring ball acts like you have windshield wipers on the bottom of your shoes. After each step, the ice is wiped off, so once you get past the iced area, you have good shoe to ground contact.

Lou, let me ask a couple questions. Are you right handed and did you get this ball used from a left hander?

Cranker

[QUOTE=fortheloveofbowling;144231]Lou, let me ask a couple questions. Are you right handed and did you get this ball used from a left hander?[/QUOTE

dam your good, yes I did. he was a lefty, I know I had something plugged and drilled to fit but it may have been only the thumb. It was like 7-8 years ago I bought it used from a lefty but never really used it. Now I'm ready to get serious again.

my current ball bought from lefty, that will not hook a board and I used to be a cranker...(I'm a righty}

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psf6l5gbgc.jpg
    Last edited by LOUVIT; 06-08-2016 at 07:16 PM.

[QUOTE=LOUVIT;144233]
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    Lou, let me ask a couple questions. Are you right handed and did you get this ball used from a left hander?[/QUOTE

dam your good, yes I did. he was a lefty, I know I had something plugged and drilled to fit but it may have been only the thumb. It was like 7-8 years ago I bought it used from a lefty but never really used it. Now I'm ready to get serious again.
    I am very surprised that a few guys on here did not point out the mass bias markings location. That is the mark to the left of your thumb hole. The drilling angle as dictated by the white pin marker to your pap and the mass bias affects how long the ball stays in the skid phase. With that massive angle that ball will have a hell of a time picking up for anyone. If you have shown that ball to a pro shop and they didn't help you, don't go back.

Yeah, that ball would roll ALOT EARLIER for a lefty. Of course i have not seen you throw the ball so even with todays equipment you still have to put a little something on it. Not much but just above kicking it.

Cranker

[QUOTE=fortheloveofbowling;144234]

I am very surprised that a few guys on here did not point out the mass bias markings location. That is the mark to the left of your thumb hole. The drilling angle as dictated by the white pin marker to your pap and the mass bias affects how long the ball stays in the skid phase. With that massive angle that ball will have a hell of a time picking up for anyone. If you have shown that ball to a pro shop and they didn't help you, don't go back.
    ok this ball is going to be gone except maybe for spares. I'm looking into the storm hyroad or the hammer scandal. at 14 or 15#. I am a senior with back issues.

[QUOTE=LOUVIT;144237]
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post

ok this ball is going to be gone except maybe for spares. I'm looking into the storm hyroad or the hammer scandal. at 14 or 15#. I am a senior with back issues.
    Do yourself a favor and check around for a good ball driller since you are just getting back into it. Good luck to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast