Thread: Ok some of you know me by now....

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default Ok some of you know me by now....

I am the guy that is asking questions on everything...lol...well after a 25 year layoff things have changed. So after my 3 month come back and just found out I'm using a ball drilled for a lefty this is the week I'm buying a ball. Do I just go in the pro shop . ask him to watch me and recommend a ball and weight? My 1 concern is weight most are saying go to a 14# ball i'm throwing a 16 now at 13.5 mph, no idea on rev's. So really all I'm asking is will a 14# ball carry with a 14 mph speed and probably a low rev rate. i really don't get under the ball like I did back in the day.....The pro shop owner is Tom Dauhgerty. if that matters, I will take all and any suggestions on balls and weight, I know nothing about drilling patterns and stuff. Just seen the video on the new Storm Fight and like it, but I like everything I see....HELP!..lol

please Mods don't ban me for asking nearly the same question in various threads. i used to live this game even worked in houses.
    Last edited by LOUVIT; 06-11-2016 at 01:23 PM.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    I am the guy that is asking questions on everything...lol...well after a 25 year layoff things have changed. So after my 3 month come back and just found out I'm using a ball drilled for a lefty this is the week I'm buying a ball. Do I just go in the pro shop . ask him to watch me and recommend a ball and weight? My 1 concern is weight most are saying go to a 14# ball i'm throwing a 16 now at 13.5 mph, no idea on rev's. So really all I'm asking is will a 14# ball carry with a 14 mph speed and probably a low rev rate. i really don't get under the ball like I did back in the day.....The pro shop owner is Tom Dauhgerty. if that matters, I will take all and any suggestions on balls and weight, I know nothing about drilling patterns and stuff. Just seen the video on the new Storm Fight and like it, but I like everything I see....HELP!..lol

please Mods don't ban me for asking nearly the same question in various threads. i used to live this game even worked in houses.
    That ball you included a picture of is NOT drilled for a lefty.

It's drilled for a righty, just a bad layout.

The ball has two thing about it that are hard to work with.

1) the distance between the pin, and the CG is rather short, which gives the driller less options regardless of which hand it's drilled for.

2) the CG is located on the right side of the line from the MB to the Pin.

That makes drilling for left handers easier, and right handers harder.

It appears whoever drilled the ball ignored the MB, and thought they were drilling a symmetrical ball for a right hander.

Cranker

Mike I bought the ball used 7-8 years ago and just now started bowling and getting serious. I hate to admit it but I have no clue about specs on new balls. I just want a dam ball that will hook. when I averaged like 190 years ago I had a good moving rubber or plastic ball. It was a harder game back then but easier to buy a ball. The ball in the picture looks like it's rolling good but I expect it to come into the head pin and it just doesn't

I don't know yet what any of this means in your post
    1) the distance between the pin, and the CG is rather short, which gives the driller less options regardless of which hand it's drilled for.

2) the CG is located on the right side of the line from the MB to the Pin.

That makes drilling for left handers easier, and right handers harder.

It appears whoever drilled the ball ignored the MB, and thought they were drilling a symmetrical ball for a right hander.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-11-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: added quote tags

Darn near every ball out here is going to hook, and it doesn't really take a whole heck of a lot to get them to do so. Some will be much more pronounced than others.

The hook really starts in the mids, and once it gets to the backend the friction makes it hook more so, and on a THS it is very predictable.

While you still have to think about the patterns breaking down, the sport patterns create a tougher challenge. But that's for another day. lol

There are a couple of balls out here that have enormous hook to them like the DV8 Grudge that many PSO's here think are too much for a THS. (I don't remember the others right off hand)

These days, pretty much all of the balls made are good balls.

For myself, I can not throw a #14 ball because of a very sour shoulder and I am relegated to #12's until I can get this thing fixed (sometime in 2018).

I would certainly have your PSO watch you bowl so he can see what is going to be the best option(s) are for you and what you're looking for. But, in the mean time I would go to the website of each manufacturer of ball you are looking at and see what the hook potentials are for each ball you're looking at.

Then I would go to web sites like BowlingBall.com and Lane Side Reviews on youtube.com (and any others) and see the video(s) they have for the specific ball(s) you're considering.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    Darn near every ball out here is going to hook, and it doesn't really take a whole heck of a lot to get them to do so. Some will be much more pronounced than others.

The hook really starts in the mids, and once it gets to the backend the friction makes it hook more so, and on a THS it is very predictable.

While you still have to think about the patterns breaking down, the sport patterns create a tougher challenge. But that's for another day. lol

There are a couple of balls out here that have enormous hook to them like the DV8 Grudge that many PSO's here think are too much for a THS. (I don't remember the others right off hand)

These days, pretty much all of the balls made are good balls.

For myself, I can not throw a #14 ball because of a very sour shoulder and I am relegated to #12's until I can get this thing fixed (sometime in 2018).

I would certainly have your PSO watch you bowl so he can see what is going to be the best option(s) are for you and what you're looking for. But, in the mean time I would go to the website of each manufacturer of ball you are looking at and see what the hook potentials are for each ball you're looking at.

Then I would go to web sites like BowlingBall.com and Lane Side Reviews on youtube.com (and any others) and see the video(s) they have for the specific ball(s) you're considering.

I live on BB.com and that's what's messing me up. I won't know how I throw until I get a correct ball. I have 4" screws in my back and some leg weakness so I know what you mean. even with all that my approach is a slow 5 step with real short steps. 3 Months ago all I could do was pull the ball to the 2 or 6 pin. I've adjusted all of that and now can get it out. I need a ball that will come back since I play an inside line. Even with the shi!! ball I have I will sometimes blow a 5 pin and the next frame I will leave a 5-7. I have learned I need a mid range ball but don't know drilling patterns or pap or rg or anything else. i am counting on my pro shop to pay attention. I just called them to see what they will do for me and they were closed. If it was a matter of watching videos we all have different releases . Maybe I will be stuck with buying 2 balls if the first don't work. You have to admit they all look easy on video. I want to go from averaging 150 with this garbage ball to 190. I know it's still in me.

I live on BB.com and that's what's messing me up. I won't know how I throw until I get a correct ball. I have 4" screws in my back and some leg weakness so I know what you mean. even with all that my approach is a slow 5 step with real short steps. 3 Months ago all I could do was pull the ball to the 2 or 6 pin. I've adjusted all of that and now can get it out. I need a ball that will come back since I play an inside line. Even with the shi!! ball I have I will sometimes blow a 5 pin and the next frame I will leave a 5-7. I have learned I need a mid range ball but don't know drilling patterns or pap or rg or anything else. i am counting on my pro shop to pay attention. I just called them to see what they will do for me and they were closed. If it was a matter of watching videos we all have different releases . Maybe I will be stuck with buying 2 balls if the first don't work. You have to admit they all look easy on video. I want to go from averaging 150 with this garbage ball to 190. I know it's still in me.
    I literally feel your pain! lol

When I first bowled, I could throw a ball like Mark Roth all day and night. These day's I'm happy to get thru 4 games, and that's even a struggle.

I too have a short 5 step approach and try to let the ball to do all of the work as much as possible. My ball speed is around 13.5 and when I see I'm not doing well I know I'm at 14+.

Most of the advice given here is pretty good. By the same token, we are also expressing a multitude of opinions from what we see being posted. Not from what we can actually see. That's why your best default "go to" is your PSO because they can actually see what you're doing in each facet of your game.

Even when it comes to your equipment, we all have opinions as to what balls we think are best, but a lot of that comes from what we have used or what we are using and I am certainly no different. I talk about Brunswick & DV8 because this is what I use. It doesn't mean that Storm, 900 Global, Columbia or any of the others aren't good, it's because I don't use them.

The pros have their sponsors and if for some crazy reason (just for an example), say Storm decided not to keep Pete Weber. Do you think it will take longer than about 30 seconds for another manufacturer to pick him up? Do you think he can fit his game into a totally new line? He absolutely will because he's a pro.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

So after my 3 month come back and just found out I'm using a ball drilled for a lefty this is the week I'm buying a ball.
    No the ball isn't drilled for a lefty, judging by the plugs it belonged to a lefty at one time though.

Since it was drilled 7-8 years ago the layout looks pretty similar to the old Ebonite 135° layout from back then which placed the PSA over in the track area. The 135° layout was meant for a high rev bowler to control over reaction. So that's probably why it's not doing anything for you.

As for new ball weight, use what your comfortable with. Tom Dauhgerty should be able to advise you good . Tell him what your wanting the new ball to do and any concerns you have and ask questions then work with him.

The main thing to start with is to make sure your grip fits right.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-11-2016 at 04:40 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    No the ball isn't drilled for a lefty, judging by the plugs it belonged to a lefty at one time though.

Since it was drilled 7-8 years ago the layout looks pretty similar to the old Ebonite 135° layout from back then which placed the PSA over in the track area. The 135° layout was meant for a high rev bowler to control over reaction. So that's probably why it's not doing anything for you.

As for new ball weight, use what your comfortable with. Tom Dauhgerty should be able to advise you good . Tell him what your wanting the new ball to do and any concerns you have and ask questions then work with him.

The main thing to start with is to make sure your grip fits right.
    that's what I'm hoping for. I need him to take an old man out of shape seriously though. the grip on my old ball is fine but as far as all these specs i have to leave it to him and learn as I go

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

that's what I'm hoping for. I need him to take an old man out of shape seriously though. the grip on my old ball is fine but as far as all these specs i have to leave it to him and learn as I go
    Well your grip might feel fine, it might be okay I'm not saying it's not.

But if you haven't had your grip checked in the last 7-8 years, it might could feel even better.

Hands change over time.

In fact I'm going to have my grip updated before the new season begins, I've put it off too long it's been a almost a 1.5 years since my last update.

My hand/thumb flexibility has changed some over the last year and my span looks a little long now. Which I believe was causing me to be off this last season.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker