Thread: Did any one grow up bowling in NY Brooklyn etc?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default Did any one grow up bowling in NY Brooklyn etc?

It's so funny because the left side of the headpin strike was known as a Jersey strike to us not Brooklyn. I bowl in a senior league and now have them saying Jersey to to left side....lol

Chats: 4

Nope never bowled up there but my favorite saying for someone
    that throws a wild ball that goes way to the left of the headpin
    is ("man that one was California bound") LOL!!!!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    It's so funny because the left side of the headpin strike was known as a Jersey strike to us not Brooklyn. I bowl in a senior league and now have them saying Jersey to to left side....lol
    It's a Manhattan-Centric thing.

Imagine you're in lower Manhattan, facing south.

If you pull the ball, it crosses over the East River, and it's in Brooklyn.

Instead, your facing north.

If you pull the ball, it crosses over the Hudson River, and it's in Jersey.

Cranker

lol I,m talking Bushwick Brooklyn and even houses around the area, I shot alot of "action or pot games" in the day, Don't know if money games are still called action or pot games...lol, and a light hit to the left was a Jersey mixer.....hahahaha. the correct side strike was just called buried...or a mixer, I worked at hart lanes my main house and action at Glenwood and green acres. i remember mark roth and jonny pet. with us....long long time ago
    Last edited by LOUVIT; 06-11-2016 at 02:33 PM.

In the Bronx and Westchester I mostly heard jersey. Every once in a while someone would say Brooklyn. Jersey just sounds so much better though lol. Bowling for money is still called action and pot games.
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Cranker

I grew up in NYC and we always called it Jersey. Now I live in Jersey, we call it Brooklyn. =P

I grew up in the Hudson Valley, about 1 hour north of NYC and it was called the Brooklyn side.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Bowler

I grew up in Queens and heard both.