Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you Practice?

Default How do you Practice?

I'm trying to put together some research for an upcoming article on practice. How do you practice? Do you keep score? Do you have a specific goal in mind? Do you just practice strikes and reset the pins when you don't get one? To you ever do any particular drills? Please be honest!

My practices vary from time to time, but my least concern is my score.

There are times I work on my approach, which includes footwork, arm swing, timing and release point.

Another time I may work on slow and fast approaches. Then there are times I work on just getting the 10 pin as a righty.

There are also times I work on things when my body isn't being cooperative, like when my slide knee and shoulder are being so darned cranky I have to see how I can compensate for when it happens when bowling in league or tournaments.

The only time I concern myself with scoring is when bowling against somebody for practice, or during league and tournament play.

One of these days I'm going to get a video camera & tripod so I can record my sessions to see what I'm doing right and wrong.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

I try to work on about 3 things every practice sessions. I don't really pay attention to score. I try to incorporate tips my coach gives me during lessons, whether it'll be a specific drill or general advice

Chats: 2

I work on one thing only for a game or game and a half. I try to ignore the score, but honestly am pleased with a good one, disappointed in a bad one

Cranker
    Chats: 0

as a senior making a comback, I started with my approach. Once I had that under control I started on my release. Scores didn't matter in the begining. I do need to work on my left side spares.

Chats: 0

I mainly work on things that I am not getting right. Then I like to take a game and focus on spares.

As much as I try to not look at the score the competitor in me is always looking at it lol

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

First I roll a game to warm up and see how the lanes are, since open bowling there can be anything out there.

Then it depends just what I need to work on.

-basic form and release
    -Roll junk shots to create spare leaves to practice spare shooting.
    -Striking
    -Do the moving and shooting each of the different arrows
    just the basics

Then last game or two try rolling for score

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

The scorers are on while I practice sometimes I pay attention to them or not. It depends on what I'm working on. If I'm working on general accuracy and ball placement then I'll watch the scores as they are indicative of my success. If I'm working on something new or working on form I don't pay attention to them at all. I practice at least once a week some practices I have specific goals and things I want to work on some are really just for fun and I may even be competing with my wife. I do shoot at least two games of low ball shooting the 7 and 10 pins once a week.
    Last edited by Amyers; 06-15-2016 at 09:49 AM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

1 game warm up
    2 (usually) games practicing what I'm there to practice (ie timing, or shooting at 10 pins then covering the spares, etc).
    1 game for score/make sure my rhythm's back.

Unfortunately not much time to practice period, or to practice as much as I should be when I do get to go. Scoring is always on, but I don't pay attention to it except for the last game.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I'm trying to put together some research for an upcoming article on practice. How do you practice? Do you keep score? Do you have a specific goal in mind? Do you just practice strikes and reset the pins when you don't get one? To you ever do any particular drills? Please be honest!
    I usually am working on something specific and it's usually the physical game.

But I also have practiced where I'm trying to compare things like lines or balls or even something physical. So, in those cases, I'd throw a few games one way, then a few games another way, etc...

Sometimes I need to play Low-Ball and work on corner-pin spares.

Sometimes my one coach will give me something specific, like "One game warm-up, 2 games on your normal line, 1 game using an inside line, 1 game for score."

But, I rarely practice as much as I used to...mainly because the lane conditions are so dry during non-league play...there's no point to it. I can work on footwork and timing and accuracy...but the results are going to be practically useless.
    In Bag: (: .) 900 Global Zen Master; (: .) Brunswick Perfect Mindset; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 196; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 185

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast