Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How do you Practice?

Chats: 0

But, if you average 178 because you missed 1/3 of your single-pins...does it really matter "why" you missed 1/3 of them? Was it 'not your fault'?

This is the flaw in your whole argument. Stats are only useful if they identify why? So if you are wondering why you only average 178 then the stat is useful. but to fix the problem you need to know why you miss 1/3 of the single pin spares. If I just go out and roll at single pin spares for a few weeks without knowing what to fix - I'l bet you that i still miss about 1/3.

remember practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. So you need to practice the fix, not just reinforce the bad habit.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by JJKinGA View Post
    But, if you average 178 because you missed 1/3 of your single-pins...does it really matter "why" you missed 1/3 of them? Was it 'not your fault'?

This is the flaw in your whole argument. Stats are only useful if they identify why? So if you are wondering why you only average 178 then the stat is useful. but to fix the problem you need to know why you miss 1/3 of the single pin spares. If I just go out and roll at single pin spares for a few weeks without knowing what to fix - I'l bet you that i still miss about 1/3.

remember practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. So you need to practice the fix, not just reinforce the bad habit.
    Well, obviously the stats don't tell you how to fix it. 4-putting every hole doesn't tell you how to fix your putting....but it SHOULD tell you that fixing your putting is something you should devote time to.

But this is a useless discussion on a bowling website because bowling, even more so than golf, is full to the brim with people who bowled a 200-game once and now consider themselves to be experts. So there's always gonna be THAT GUY that sees you tracking stats or actually "practicing" and they are going to laugh at you and claim, "all you gotta do...is throw the ball the way they throw the ball...and you'll be awesome." And trying to convince that person...that they aren't as awesome as they think...nearly impossible.

But yes, my stats lead me to either practice and/or seek out coaching advice on that topic. I was having trouble with single-pin spares...Missy gave my a strategy that she uses...now I'm getting better. Does that mean I don't need to make changes from time to time? Nope. Mark Baker might advocate using my strike ball to 'help' pick up left-side leaves. I may find that targeting the pins helps me keep my alignment through the shot better. Missy constantly sees problems when I'm missing corner spares where I turn one way or the other at the line. HOW I fix the problems will take some time and work and effort. The stats just help me see the problem.

Case in point...did a tournament last weekend. The guy I got paired up with spent virtually every game complaining that "pretty soon I'm gonna be throwing the ball from a lane over!" And all I could think is, "OR...you could learn to throw the ball in a standard bowling fashion...rather than palm it...and rev it up to 350rpms...maybe tone down the revs a little...straighten out the line...get the ball to go "through" the pins...rather than smack into the side of them..." But see...that advice would be like trying to teach a goldfish how to add and subtract. It's pointless. He has fun making the ball spin and go "Weeeeeeee..!!!!" That's his game. That's his fun. And I just ignore him...let him do his thing.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Thank you all for your imput. Please check out my latest article for BTM. I'm not sure of the title yet, but it should be something along the lines of "A Summer Tune-up for your Physical Game." It should be posted in the next few days. Your imput was considered in the writing of this article. Thanks again!

Blog Entries

Depends what I want to do but I usually have a few things I like to work on. Sometimes I'll practice step drills, diffrent lines and other days I'll practice spares. I'll even bet money to simulate pressure situations. I like to tape myself as well so I can see what I am doing wrong

Because I haven't bowled in a year due to bladder cancer and a left hip replacement I will have to work on everything. Things like my approach, swing, release and spare pickups and also hitting the right target arrow will test me pretty good. I have bowled for 28 years so I do have an idea on how to do these things it is just that I need some good practice to get on the right track. I will just have to be patient and not press the issue.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

home offers cheaper practice then the center. No need to pay for games or commute. Eileen's bowling buddy, footwork, ball grips etc

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345