Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Guns for nuts

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I feel sorry for them and for anyone who lives in so much fear that they can't leave home without carrying a gun.
    It's not fear. I'm just not stupid enough to bring a knife to a gun fight.

The majority of the public honestly doesn't know how they will react when faced with a situation in which they would have to shoot to kill. Heck, even the average gang banger can't hit the broad side of a barn. Even if you don't freeze and actually do take a life, you truly don't know how that will affect the rest of your life. Everyone knows how they THINK they will react. Sadly, I know how I have.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Happy 4th of July bowlers!
    Bang, Bang, Bang. Have fund shooting your guns off today.

Pin Crusher

Happy 4th of July bowlers!
    Bang, Bang, Bang. Have fund shooting your guns off today.

I think you're talking about the Detroit gang-bangers, not the rest of us responsible gun owners.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Pin Crusher

Florida dad accidentally shoots and kills son at gun range.

Blog Entries

And hundreds were shot today on purpose by criminals. What's your point?
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    And hundreds were shot today on purpose by criminals. What's your point?
    The only point he makes that I can ascertain is that he is happy being a sheep and we all should be as well...

Chats: 204

Every journey starts with one small step.
    The #1 reason gun control efforts have failed and will fail.

Responsible gun owners were willing to listen to control measures in the 80s/90s until the gun control and Brady Bill advocates let it slip that their attempts would be the "first step towards getting rid of guns altogether". At which point, 85% of the country said, "Oh...then nevermind."

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    mentally ill can mean a lot of things not just violent
    This.

And the list of how you can get your gun taken away, lose your rights, etc... that list grows every year. Can you buy a gun if you and your wife got in an argument and the police were called? Some states yes...some states no. Can the wife get a gun? Yes. What about a person who is committed into an institution by their family but the courts release the person because they find that the person is not crazy? Can they get a gun? Or does it matter less that they are crazy and more that a few people think they might be?

Taking away people's rights can be a difficult endeavor. Most of the time, it's done with the best of intentions. Should homeless be forced into shelters or allowed to live on the street? What rights do they have? What rights do the mentally ill have? What rights do criminals have? Should rights vary based on the person's mental illness or criminal history? Very difficult topic. But one that will probably have a better outcome (in terms of violence in our society) than telling law abiding citizens they need to fill out more forms. IMO

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    The #1 reason gun control efforts have failed and will fail.

Responsible gun owners were willing to listen to control measures in the 80s/90s until the gun control and Brady Bill advocates let it slip that their attempts would be the "first step towards getting rid of guns altogether". At which point, 85% of the country said, "Oh...then nevermind."

This.

And the list of how you can get your gun taken away, lose your rights, etc... that list grows every year. Can you buy a gun if you and your wife got in an argument and the police were called? Some states yes...some states no. Can the wife get a gun? Yes. What about a person who is committed into an institution by their family but the courts release the person because they find that the person is not crazy? Can they get a gun? Or does it matter less that they are crazy and more that a few people think they might be?

Taking away people's rights can be a difficult endeavor. Most of the time, it's done with the best of intentions. Should homeless be forced into shelters or allowed to live on the street? What rights do they have? What rights do the mentally ill have? What rights do criminals have? Should rights vary based on the person's mental illness or criminal history? Very difficult topic. But one that will probably have a better outcome (in terms of violence in our society) than telling law abiding citizens they need to fill out more forms. IMO

Again, well said. There is a slippery slope to taking away people's rights just because it makes you feel better. You may feel that others shouldn't have a certain right because it makes you feel less safe. But how do you feel when they come after one of your cherished rights? Don't say it can't happen, because it does.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Guns have been in the hands of citizens for over 240 years. They were and always will be just a tool. The hand ( or in most cases the heart) of the person using the tool either makes it useful or destructive. The problem with gun laws are they are designed to control those who live out side of the law which is a nearly impossible task. In my opinion you want to fix the problems look to training and arming as many people as possible. the Mass killing just down the road from me in Orlando could have been entirely different had there not been a law in place saying guns where not allowed in a place that's main business is selling booze. just one person with a CCW permit could have ended the shooting and saved many. It's not the tool but the heart of man that creates the problem. Let's face it the ONLY way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Do we really want to take that protection away??
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Blog Entries

Last spring we had a city council woman propose an ordinance that would prohibit veterans with PTSD from using the city pool. I stood up and asked if she remembered me. This is how the conversation went.
    "Yes, you're the gentleman that pulled that family out of the house fire on Orbison Hill."

"Actually it was the mother, one daughter and two dogs. The rest of the family made it out on their own. I'm also the guy that stopped the robbery at the Marathon station off the highway last month. What I would like to know now is why you think I shouldn't be allowed at the city pool? A pool my tax dollars help to support. Afterall, I have shown I don't freeze but react when the situation calls for it so who else would you rather be at the pool when a pedophile gropes a child or God forbid tries to abduct one? A person who won't even be able to tell you what the abductor looked like, get a license plate number or any kind of description or a combat veteran who has proved that they are willing to risk their own life to save others? What gives you the right to forbid me from using that pool and potentially putting the safety of our city's youth at greater risk?"

"I didn't know you had PTSD."

"And I didn't know we had someone on the city council that felt it was their duty to remove the rights of those who chose to defend all our rights in our great nation. Given the fact that you think you're superior to those you were elected to serve I believe you should resign." I then turned around and left. The measure was voted on a defeated 6-1. Amid the pressure she felt she resigned two weeks later. You can take away my rights, over my dead body!
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast