Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Returned to bowling

Chats: 2

Hywire has a generic core at 13 & 12 according to rotogrip website. I have yet to find a high performance ball where that is not the case, try as I might

Chats: 0

Hmm, so sounds like that since I'm not really pressed for a ball yet. Probably, just buy a 14 pound ball of similar stats to what I am currently using still conventional grip just so I have more of my fingers helping me to hold the ball until I get enough strength to be able to handle then look at getting high performance balls and moving to fingertip grip to add more versatility to my game while having whatever I choose for my initial 14 becoming my spare ball more than likely.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Davidjr113 View Post
    Hywire has a generic core at 13 & 12 according to rotogrip website. I have yet to find a high performance ball where that is not the case, try as I might
    Motiv uses the same core in their lighter weight balls and most Brunswick symmetrical balls have the same core in the lighter weights. Finding which is which can be difficult and often takes visiting multiple websites as not all website and manufactures list that info. On a symmetrical ball it's not as big a deal if they use a generic core in the lighter weights as most of those generic cores are the lightbulb shape which is really a great rolling core. Where the issues is for me is that if I pay $200+ for a asymmetrical core ball and then don't get that core and performance I'm going to be upset.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

I think in my efforts to get stronger so when I buy balls I will get the actual cores I will move from my current ball to either the Roto Grip Hy-Road Pearl or the Radical Rave On both seem to be similar to what I am currently using so there shouldn't be much of a learning curve beyond training myself to use the heavier 14 pound ball.

Amyers

Would love you to be correct on Motiv & Brunswick, at least sometimes, using same core in lighter weights, but don't THINK you are. Please be specific as to which balls you refer to, at least one or two, to allow me to research. Thanks

Dave

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Chamiso View Post
    Hmm, so sounds like that since I'm not really pressed for a ball yet. Probably, just buy a 14 pound ball of similar stats to what I am currently using still conventional grip just so I have more of my fingers helping me to hold the ball until I get enough strength to be able to handle then look at getting high performance balls and moving to fingertip grip to add more versatility to my game while having whatever I choose for my initial 14 becoming my spare ball more than likely.
    I would suggest you consider going to a fingertip with the next ball. As weird as it sounds, the fingertip will actually make the ball feel lighter. You will then be able to learn to release the fingertip and not have to re-learn so many things in your transitions. The reason the house balls feels so heavy is that they don't fit properly, so you should be able to handle a ball about 2 lbs heavier than a comfortable weight house ball. Ask you PSO for an opinion. There are ways to test for weight, possibly some of those ideas may be on this site - or at least on the internet.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Chats: 4

Amyers

Would love you to be correct on Motiv & Brunswick, at least sometimes, using same core in lighter weights, but don't THINK you are. Please be specific as to which balls you refer to, at least one or two, to allow me to research. Thanks

Dave
    Amyers is correct on the Motiv balls all having regular cores in all weights now as
    for Brunswick that is a different story most of their 12 and 13 pound balls have a
    generic core shape but as far as I can tell Motiv has the same core in all of them.

If you go to bowlingball.com and click on Motiv balls then you can click on weights
    on any one of them and there is no mention of a generic core shape on any of their
    stuff but click on Brunswick and it will tell you that the 12 and 13 pounds have the
    generic core shape on them.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Amyers

Dave
    Dave I was speaking more to the fact that you will see more difference with the generic cores used in an asymmetrical ball rather than a symmetrical one but I was somewhat incorrect on Brunswick the only ball they currently make 12-16 with the same core is the Rhino. I'm pretty sure that I am correct on Motiv but I don't see the info on their site anymore so to double check I emailed Motiv's customer service and will reply with their reply. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Current arsenal

It will be interesting to see what Motiv says, I rely on makers website specs rather than bb.com. Some makers are very evasive on their sites about core info in lower weights but I have always seen similar or same differential numbers for 14-16, and a much lower diff number for lighter weights, indicating a different core. Latest Motiv numbers for Motiv Primal Rages at 13 lbs are about same as 14-16, not so for 12 lbs, though. Rest of Motiv line showing much lower differential once you drop below 14. I have been told really high tech cores are so heavy themselves, the cover and filler cannot be light enough to make a lower weight. I will certainly be trying the Primal Rages at 13 if Motiv confirms it has the same core as 14-16

It will be interesting to see what Motiv says, I rely on makers website specs rather than bb.com. Some makers are very evasive on their sites about core info in lower weights but I have always seen similar or same differential numbers for 14-16, and a much lower diff number for lighter weights, indicating a different core. Latest Motiv numbers for Motiv Primal Rages at 13 lbs are about same as 14-16, not so for 12 lbs, though. Rest of Motiv line showing much lower differential once you drop below 14. I have been told really high tech cores are so heavy themselves, the cover and filler cannot be light enough to make a lower weight. I will certainly be trying the Primal Rages at 13 if Motiv confirms it has the same core as 14-16
    Well I sent this question to motiv:

I have heard that Motiv uses the same core design in all of their ball weights can you tell me is this true? And if it is only on some models which models that is true for?

Thanks,

Andrew

And I received this in response:

Hello Andrew,

This is in-fact true of all of our balls in all weights. Every ball that we produce in the lower weights below 14 pounds does have the same weight block in them with just different RG and Differential properties in them to make up for the change in weight. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Thank you

Nick Pahr
    Motiv Bowling
    Phone: (616) 850-9868 Ext: 101
    Fax: (616) 846-1473

So Motiv does use the same core in all of their balls even the Asymmetrical ones which is pretty awesome info for those of you that throw lighter weight equipment.

Current arsenal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast