Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Returned to bowling

Chats: 0

Default Returned to bowling

Hello,

I have been bowling for almost 3 years now after about a 22-23 year hiatus...haven't bowled since I was a kid really other than the occasional trip for open bowling. Figured after lurking here for awhile now I would go ahead and make an account and start contributing with what little knowledge I have. I currently only have one ball in my arsenal which is a Pyramid Path Rising 12 pounds. I had always used 10 pound balls before this one which I got in January and have been steadily improving from a 100 average to currently a 160. I am thinking about getting a new ball soon now that I am used to using a 12 pound ball now, looking at probably getting an Ebonite Warrior Supreme. I spend a lot of my free time watching videos and reading to help improve my skills and am fairly decent at adjusting my shots to a typical house shot and am getting consistent with my shots as well.

Well that ends my boring introduction look forward to talking you all and contributing what I can most likely to other new bowlers where I can.

And of course I start out being a complete idiot on forums as usual ><. Could have sworn I had clicked the introductions sub-thread oh well.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Chamiso View Post
    And of course I start out being a complete idiot on forums as usual ><. Could have sworn I had clicked the introductions sub-thread oh well.

No worries. Welcome to the board.

Cranker

Welcome, there are a few of us here who have returned after a 25 year layoff.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Chats: 32

Welcome back to bowling and the site. I took about a 20 year break myself and returned about 2.5 years ago. I would maybe rethink the warrior for a bit. The warrior has an asymmetrical core which can be a little more temperamental and in a 12lbs weight you only get a generic core not the actual warrior core. Most asymmetrical balls below 14 lbs. have a generic core instead of the one actually pictured. You might want to pick something with just a little more aggressive cover or more surfaced instead of paying big money for a asymmetrical core that you won't get.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chamiso.... Welcome to the boards and feel free to jump into conversations or ask questions about your game. I'm in agreement with Amyers about getting a ball with a regular core as opposed to a generic core. One that you can look at is the new Roto Grip Hy-wire. In the 12 pounds ball it has the regular core, and is more aggressive than the one you currently have. I recommended this ball for one of my students and he loves the ball. It's a Hybrid Reactive and it's a symmetric ball, which will give more consistency. My advice is to check out the balls on Bowlingball.com. They're one of the best sites for comparison because they have a rating system called the perfect scale. The Pyramid is rated at 181 and the Rotogrip is at 196. So it is more aggressive but it won't over burden you by hooking too much.
    Check 'em out. Good Luck and welcome aboard.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Cranker

If I may ask a personal question....why a 12lb ball? (not a question that needs to be answered) Do you throw a hook or a stright ball. if you were able to go to 14lbs there may be more choices.I went from 16 to 15, I wanted to try 14 but was afraid of loosing pin carry since I do not have a high mph..12.5. I'm new to all this new equipment and may be wrong. Some one correct me if I am. I just bought a 15# Track Heat and I love it. I also just won a Storm phase from here and can't wait to get it.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Welcome back to bowling and the site. I took about a 20 year break myself and returned about 2.5 years ago. I would maybe rethink the warrior for a bit. The warrior has an asymmetrical core which can be a little more temperamental and in a 12lbs weight you only get a generic core not the actual warrior core. Most asymmetrical balls below 14 lbs. have a generic core instead of the one actually pictured. You might want to pick something with just a little more aggressive cover or more surfaced instead of paying big money for a asymmetrical core that you won't get.
    Hmm was not aware that they would make that a generic core based off the weight I had noticed at bowlingball.com that for some balls they will list generic core at the lower weights for balls but didn't see that for all of them the new warrior included. Granted it is not out yet so they may just not mention that little detail at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    Chamiso.... Welcome to the boards and feel free to jump into conversations or ask questions about your game. I'm in agreement with Amyers about getting a ball with a regular core as opposed to a generic core. One that you can look at is the new Roto Grip Hy-wire. In the 12 pounds ball it has the regular core, and is more aggressive than the one you currently have. I recommended this ball for one of my students and he loves the ball. It's a Hybrid Reactive and it's a symmetric ball, which will give more consistency. My advice is to check out the balls on Bowlingball.com. They're one of the best sites for comparison because they have a rating system called the perfect scale. The Pyramid is rated at 181 and the Rotogrip is at 196. So it is more aggressive but it won't over burden you by hooking too much.
    Check 'em out. Good Luck and welcome aboard.
    Alright I will look at the Roto Grip Hy-wire. I already do look at bowlingball.com it's where I got my ball from. If not the Roto Grip I will keep in mind that I need to stick to symmetrical cores so I will be less likely to end up with a generic.

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    If I may ask a personal question....why a 12lb ball? (not a question that needs to be answered) Do you throw a hook or a stright ball. if you were able to go to 14lbs there may be more choices.I went from 16 to 15, I wanted to try 14 but was afraid of loosing pin carry since I do not have a high mph..12.5. I'm new to all this new equipment and may be wrong. Some one correct me if I am. I just bought a 15# Track Heat and I love it. I also just won a Storm phase from here and can't wait to get it.
    I am using a 12 pound ball because as I had mentioned in the original post I had been using a 10 pound ball before that it was a Brunswick Ringer. I had started out throwing a straight ball but wanted to start hooking so I would practice it on and off. One day had a weird pin fall leaving the 1,5,9, and 10 pins. Knowing that I pretty much had to hook the ball to pick it up as the easiest method had tried to hook the ball then and it had somehow clicked that time how to move to get the ball to hook and was able to actually get it working consistently within a short time after that. Eventually got to the point where I felt I couldn't improve with that ball anymore and felt it was due to weight as the ball was deflecting quite a bit. I had gotten up to around a 135 average with it. So I then picked up two house balls one 13 and one 12 pound. I was barely able to even throw the 13 pound ball. Then I tried the 12 pound ball it was a struggle but I was able to throw it and after about 3-4 frames became easier to throw so that was how I determined that I should use a 12 pound for the time being and ended up with the Pyramid Path Rising because it was similar to the Ringer I had in specs and since I knew I hadn't been throwing a hook for long and did like the motion of the Ringer figured I would try to stay with a similarly spec'ed ball so that the only thing I would have to really concentrate on was getting used to the weight. I am almost completely used to the weight now but about once or twice month I still seem to struggle for the first couple throws in practice with the weight so not ready to try and up the weight more yet.

I also figured I needed a more aggressive ball because of how little hook I have with it and I know the more aggressive equipment could do some of the work for me in that regard, as well as the fact that my brother has taken to wanting to bowl in tournaments so we did the local USBC open city tournament a few months back we did pretty good 3rd place in doubles or 2nd depending on how you want to look at it since 1st place was a two-way tie that had only beat us by 11 pins. The house the tournament was at has heavier oil than our normal house so I had to move more left since I'm left handed to get it to hook enough and that is kind of scary since it didn't leave much more room on that side of the lane for adjustments.

Cranker

is it a fingertip ball? i only ask because you mentioned a house ball. hard to get a house ball to hook. For me going from a 10 year old ball to my new Track has totally changed me. this ball hits and hooks so good for me and the storm I just won is even more aggressive. if I hit the headpin even light the pins just fly. with my old ball I left a lot of 5 pins and 5-7's. I cannot accept that....lol
    Last edited by LOUVIT; 06-21-2016 at 03:14 PM.

The house ball was just to determine what weight of ball I was going to buy. I am currently using conventional grip have tried it with fingertip a couple times without the inserts though just through positioning my hand. Plan on having fingertip for my next ball.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast