Thread: New Storm Crossroads review

Default New Storm Crossroads review

Storm Crossroads Review
    Layout:
    4-1/2” x 4-1/2” with 3” pin buffer from VAL
    PAP:
    4-1/2” -> ˝” ^
    Conditions:
    A. Center A- 38’ house pattern*, Kegel Kustodian Walker, AMF HPL lane surface

Surfaces preps:
    1. Factory finish
    2. Factory plus Storm Rough Buff
    3. 1000 Abralon
    4. 2000 Abralon
    5. 2000 Abralon then finished with Storm Step 1 finishing compound (220-800)
    Ok, so this was my personal experience throwing this amazing ball, and for reference I throw high track, 15.75 mph, 350+ rpms, using Turbo Lifts and a Switch Grip thumb insert, oh and I am right handed.
    Center ‘A’ results:
    1. With factory finish I found the ball to have a little too much length for my liking on the fresh. Starting point board 22, target area 11, the ball tended to finish behind the pocket. Moving my feet right and staying behind the ball a little more created a better look, now starting point 19, and target area at 9. Although this look was better, it was not until multiple games that I was able to create a comfortable look with the factory surface. 3 game set: 676

2. After applying Storm’s ‘Rough Buff’ to the surface with a cotton towel and a spinner I found the reaction to be much better. Some of the energy the factory finish had been saving got out earlier helping the ball read easily 4-7” earlier, creating a much better look for my ball roll. I was able to move back to a starting point of 23 and play out to 8 board comfortably without over reaction. The ball still showed the great continuation on the backend, and my carry increased greatly! 3 game set: 659

3. With the 1000 Abralon finish I could truly open up the lane. I was able to move in to a starting point of 26, throwing to 10. This reaction was fantastic, messengers galore! The ball read the midlane beautifully, and the hard arching motion to the pocket definitely let you know it was serious business. The only issue here was that 15-20 frames in you are forced to migrate left, 3-4 boards, and with my speed and ball roll, even making adjustments in hand position, gave too much early hook, became difficult for myself to create a decent, trusting reaction. 3 game set: 759

4. 2000 Abralon had a longer lasting look, as I was able to start in the 21 board area and play the track area (the 10 board) with great carry and confidence. This was possibly the best look of all the different surfaces for my ball roll. I was able to keep the ball in my hand longer, and I was able to play smaller moves than previous finishes had allowed me, without sacrificing my carry. I did notice that into the start of the 3rd game it became cumbersome to try and carry corners, and there was a small amount of over/under. Small adjustments in hand position and speed help, but you started to feel a little handcuffed. 3 game set: 643

5. The last surface prep I tried was 2000 Abralon, then finished ball with Storm Step 1 compound (220 to 800 grit). The reaction here did change minimal from the last surface alteration, as it added 4-6” in length without sacrificing the strong arch it had shown through all the different surface changes. The biggest change from the last step was the carry power into the last game, as the ball actually got stronger for me, but not in an over-reaction type way, but rather it became a true confidence builder, as I felt I had much more ‘mistake’ area than previous preps had provided. 3 game set: 760

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Nice in depth review of the crossroad. Great to how surface changes affected the balls motion.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 891

nice reveiw of the crossroad that ball would do best on most oil patterns i would love to get one, one day but i will get one for my cusin first soo he has his own bowling ball