Thread: who remembers???

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default who remembers???

Last edited by LOUVIT; 06-27-2016 at 02:50 PM.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I watch a lot of classic bowling but unfortunately I didn't get into bowling in any way, shape of form until 2005. Growing up in the 70s and 80s I missed some great bowling that I could have seen first hand.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Cranker

I started in the late 60's and serious early 70's. I shot a lot of action back then. A 190 average was awesome in the day...lol...making a come back now at 61 years old...Just have to learn all this new stuff...lol. it's easy when you work in the house and have total control...I did everything from mechanic to bartender. Even flipped a few burgers on busy nights. and the scores were kept on paper with a pensil so we had a frame counter...
    Last edited by LOUVIT; 06-27-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

I had the honor of crossing with Mark in the Sr. US Open a few years ago before he had his stroke. It was quite an experience bowling with a legend.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I changed professions in October so I could work third shift allowing me ample time to coach. Doing so my hours at the bowling alley have been reduced significantly. I have zero scheduled hours this summer and during the season will work one Tuesday afternoon a month. Of course I'm still on call it someone calls in sick and for any immediate equuipment repairs. We have a regular mechanic that comes in every two weeks so I just have to do what breaks in between his visits. We just got new synthetic overlays, ball returns and the pit area was all redone so the amount of little stuff in those areas has been greatly reduced this month.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Mark Roth, my all time favorite who was always trying to rip the cover off of the ball every time he threw it. And lets not forget he was one of the all time best at converting spares as well.

While it is sad he had a stroke, I'm not sure if he could have bowled well with all of the changes that have been made. His style was pure crank & power which led to his wrist problems not healing as fast as he wanted.

Maybe he could do it with all urethane & plastic, but I can't see him with the consistency he had.

Unfortunately, we will never know.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

I remember watching him on TV. He was doing things I had never seen before.

I have seen him in a lot of audience shots at various tournaments since his stroke but have not seen him interviewed. Does anyone know if his stroke affected his speech?

Cranker

he has spoken on TV on the Sunday bowling, he seems ok, not to bowl but he has his mind.

Cranker

just to add I bowled action with/against Roth and Petraglia in the 70's very rarely in Brooklyn NY. me and Petraglia shared the March 3rd birthday, his was 8 years before mine though...lol