Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    welcome, there's a few of us returning, for me it was about 25 years. they need to make a catagory for us...lol

from experience new equipment is a MUST!

I'm returning with a bad back and a gain of 100+pounds
    Thank you. I noticed a lot of people returning to bowling after a substantial layoff. I'm 130# lighter than when I quit bowling so my two remaining bowling balls felt like they belonged to someone else. I changed out inserts so I shouldn't be a hazard to anyone standing behind me.

Agreed that new equipment is a must but I'm going to have to re-establish my PAP. I knew where it was when I quit, but with these "Exoitic" layouts I'd like to be absolutely sure.
    Last edited by ytlas; 07-02-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by ytlas View Post
    Thank you. I noticed a lot of people returning to bowling after a substantial layoff. I'm 130# lighter than when I quit bowling so my two remaining bowling balls felt like they belonged to someone else. I changed out inserts so I shouldn't be a hazard to anyone standing behind me.

Agreed that new equipment is a must but I'm going to have to re-establish my PAP. I knew where it was when I quit, but with these "Exoitic" layouts I'd like to be absolutely sure.
    I don't think "new equipment" is a must. I really depends on how you learned to throw the ball in the past.

After my 20 year break, all I bought was a #15 plastic ball, and I was averaging 210 until an injury.

It took about 18 months to recover, and I picked up a #14 urethane ball, and shot 300, and averaged 210 for the complete season in multiple leagues.

In November I had another injury (non-bowling related) so I sat out until April.

This last one did me in, I can still roll the ball, but I can't get any hand in the ball so when my commitment is up at the end of August, bowling is over for me.

Besides, I hate the direction the game is headed.

It's too bad about your injuries. I've been doing squats for a while even before going to the bowling center for the first time in ages. In the times I'd quit for about a year it was my legs that were really sore when I came back.

I've read about "House conditions" and I'll have to take a wait and see attitude. When I quit it was still gutter to gutter in our 6 o'clock league. When we were done they dragged out the Century machine and shimmed it for the 9 o'clock league, and for them it was a carry contest each week.

Friend of mine quit for 10 years and he says he now only bowls in sport leagues.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

so strange, when I returned I didn't know what a pap or pin or weight block or coverstock even meant. I really still don't In the 80's it was get a fingertip ball and crank. guess I was all carry in my old day's. now I'm confused as hell! I shot 235 the other day and then a 160 or something. Still a bit clueless....lol
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    so strange, when I returned I didn't know what a pap or pin or weight block or coverstock even meant. I really still don't In the 80's it was get a fingertip ball and crank. guess I was all carry in my old day's. now I'm confused as hell! I shot 235 the other day and then a 160 or something. Still a bit clueless....lol
    A pro can go from 235 to 160 just as easy

The Hammer came out in the 80's and that might have been the first time I'd ever heard of two piece ball. The pin placement helped customize the ball's reaction. The blue Brunswick Phantom that came out in the early 90's was the first ball that I'd ever seen flare and it could flare a bunch depending on the drilling. Brunswick offered the Phantom Commander, a two piece plastic jig that fit on a quarter moon scale that you used to lift the PAP from your regular ball and transfer the blue Phantom during layout.

The Black Phantom might have also been designed to flare, but I used a different layout and had just a standard track.
    Last edited by ytlas; 07-04-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Bowler

Where in Southern Cal R you. If I may ask.

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmore View Post
    Where in Southern Cal R you. If I may ask.
    Artesia/Cerritos

Bowler

i am in lancaster/Palmdale area.

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmore View Post
    i am in lancaster/Palmdale area.
    In the mid-70's when worked at Western Columbia Bowling Supplies, sometimes I'd have to go deliver bowling balls to Lancaster Bowl or Palm(?) Lanes in Palmdale. There weren't too many places to bowl around there.

Bowler

We have Sands bowl on Sierra highway and Vista lanes in palmdale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12