Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Benchmark Ball for a Two Hander

Default Good Benchmark Ball for a Two Hander

So I recently made the switch from 1 hand to 2. I was wondering what a good benchmark ball for a two hander would be. My Joy Ride has been working well but it comes up a bit short. I was looking at the Storm Rocket Ship but wasn't sure. Thanks!

Chats: 1

Can't go wrong with a Storm Hy-road if you want to stay in the storm line. In fact that the ball I see Belmo throw the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaescrub View Post
    Can't go wrong with a Storm Hy-road if you want to stay in the storm line. In fact that the ball I see Belmo throw the most.
    Yeah, that was another of my potential options. I think that might work but I am going to also consider the Hay-Wire, mainly because it hits like a truck.

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Typhlodew View Post
    Yeah, that was another of my potential options. I think that might work but I am going to also consider the Hay-Wire, mainly because it hits like a truck.
    . That might be a good choice I don't know much about that ball but what u can say is that Hy-Road has been out a long time and has yet to be replaced there must be a good reason for that.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Depends on many variables
    1. Lane surface type
    2. Oil pattern
    3. Release speed
    4. Axis tilt
    5. Axis rotation

The needed variables to determine a match don't change just because someone is using a two handed approach
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Depends on many variables
    1. Lane surface type
    2. Oil pattern
    3. Release speed
    4. Axis tilt
    5. Axis rotation

The needed variables to determine a match don't change just because someone is using a two handed approach
    Yeah, I understand that. I mainly bowl at my home center right now, which is a synthetic surface. I'm on a 40 ft house shot the majority of the time. I can't say much for my speed at the heads but I fluctuate at around 15.90 to 16.20 mph right now, as for axis tilt and rotation I am pretty similar to belmo with a little bit less side rotation.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Similar to Belmo with less speed and less axis rotation so similar in that you're both two-handers? The speed will come as you get more and more confident and really nail the technique.

First, almost anything pin down flares over the finger holes for the majority of two-handers.
    Second, go with large pin distance balls
    Third, the layouts with low flare (large pin to PAP distances) usually work the best
    The Rocket Ship or Hy Road would be fine. While Belmo can use the high end balls and drill them really weak for those of us that have to actually pay for our equipment that makes very little sense. He is good for the company though as he always tries to use the latest releases on TV.

FYI the different type of synthetics have different friction characteristics.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Similar to Belmo with less speed and less axis rotation so similar in that you're both two-handers? The speed will come as you get more and more confident and really nail the technique.

First, almost anything pin down flares over the finger holes for the majority of two-handers.
    Second, go with large pin distance balls
    Third, the layouts with low flare (large pin to PAP distances) usually work the best
    The Rocket Ship or Hy Road would be fine. While Belmo can use the high end balls and drill them really weak for those of us that have to actually pay for our equipment that makes very little sense. He is good for the company though as he always tries to use the latest releases on TV.

FYI the different type of synthetics have different friction characteristics.
    Ok, thank you for the good advice. I will probably end up with the hy-road.

So as someone who has bowled 2 handed for some time before switching to 1 handed, I've always had a problem with resin balls. Unless the center piled on oil (never in my case), I tended to throw my first ball from the middle arrow to the 5 board (first arrow on the right) just to see how it looks that day. Unfortunately due to the quality control of the lanes it's usually on the dry side, so i threw my urethane. It was some really old standard drilled vintage ball.

What I'm intrigued in is how the new "plastic performance" balls work for high rev rate players such as yourself. The Hammer Black Widow Spare and the Track Spare+ are the two that come to mind. I really am interested in how these balls look with bowlers such as yourself and wonder how they well they would work as a benchmark ball. But I tend to enjoy a shallow line compared to a monstrous 30 board angle.

I'm guessing if you are using a joy ride, You have no problem getting down the lane?

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

The HyRoad and Rocket Ship are both good mid range balls. The Match Solid isn't too bad either. They seem to out perform some of the older "Hot" line balls.

There's a lot more variables though that could influence to various directions.
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast