Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Draft Letter to USBC

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

If you want a true shot, you should also "burn" a set as well.
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    If you want a true shot, you should also "burn" a set as well.
    Yep, you got to prime the machine.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Good points...the only problem is this:

How do we know whether we threw a good ball?

1) We hit our target.
    2) We have decent axis tilt and axis rotation.
    3) We hit the pocket
    4) The ball exits the pin deck between the 8-pin and 9-pin.
    5) We carry.
    As long as you can perform 1 and 2 consistently 3 should happen. If you have 1,2, and 3 down 4 and 5 are a simple adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

So, in a nutshell...if your weakness is you can't seem to hit a 1.5" target at 15ft...or your release is wildly inconsistent...then I agree...just throw, work on your form and release...dry lanes, wet lanes, oily lanes, no lanes...doesn't matter.
    And there is the problem for 90% of bowlers the inability to hit a target at 15ft and even worse to understand where the ball will be at 40ft. If you can hit your target +- 1.5 at 15ft you will be a decent bowler pretty much regardless of anything else. If you can control your target +- 3 at 40ft you have the ability to be a good tournament bowler. Do the above and control your speed +- .5 mph and your revs within 50 RPM and your on the tour. I don't see the PBA or WPBA giving up on practice because they don't have a CATS machine with them.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The question is what to do when you go to practice and find the lanes not to your liking?

Do you complain about it and go home and bemoan the state of bowling or do you try to make the best of it?

If the lanes are too dry, then you work on your approach, your form, the things leading up to the release. Nobody's form is so perfect they don't need to practice it.

Your plastic ball is hooking and missing a 10 pin or a 7 pin because the lanes are so dry, good!! that shows you need to work on straightening the ball out, taking that little bit turn off the ball that's causing it to hook.

Practice is not always about how the ball reacts down the lane.

So, the point in all that is; practicing on easy conditions...or in random centers...doesn't make you a better bowler. And if you practice at one center and bowl league at another...your practice is essentially worthless. Sure, you can fork on the physical game and spare shooting...but whats the point in ironing out a strike line...when it's not going to be even CLOSE to the strike line in the house you bowl leagues at??
    The practice is not worthless, you don't practice on varying conditions and in other houses to find one strike line that works everywhere. Your practicing and trying to learn the ability to find the strike line wherever you bowl.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-13-2016 at 11:06 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    The practice is not worthless, you don't practice on varying conditions and in other houses to find one strike line that works everywhere. Your practicing and trying to learn the ability to find the strike line wherever you bowl.
    Well said Bowl
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

First, props to my good friend Bowl1820 for answering my question and digging up that old post.

The question is what to do when you go to practice and find the lanes not to your liking?

Do you complain about it and go home and bemoan the state of bowling or do you try to make the best of it?
    First, I go home and google what bemoan means.

Then, I just sit angrily in my computer chair and usually type something hateful about it on bowlingboards.com.

Reason: Because who do you complain to? The guy or gal at the counter making $10/hour who think lane oil is just to make the lanes shiny?

Now, sometimes there's a manager there...and I'm gonna try next time to offer $10 to have the THS pattern applied to a pair...as long as they're not too busy....see what they say. Worth a shot I guess.

If the lanes are too dry, then you work on your approach, your form, the things leading up to the release. Nobody's form is so perfect they don't need to practice it.
    But...that type of practice can be done anywhere. You could go in your backyard, put a quarter 15ft away, and just take 4 steps and 'bingo'....approach practice...target practice...and it costs $0 (unless you lose the quarter...then it costs a quarter).

Your plastic ball is hooking and missing a 10 pin or a 7 pin because the lanes are so dry, good!! that shows you need to work on straightening the ball out, taking that little bit turn off the ball that's causing it to hook.
    100% Disagree. I was one of the holdouts...that claimed I didn't need a spare ball...that it was just an extra thing to carry around. Nearly everyone (minus Iceman), did the whole spiel about Norm Duke being the only one and you GOTTA get a spare ball. And the major selling point for a plastic spare ball...is you DON'T have to change your release to pick up corner pins. IF I have to change my release to pick up corner pins...then I no longer NEED a plastic ball...I just learn to flatten my wrist to pick up spares...especially throwing a resin ball with a symmetric core (and yes....I know they become asymmetric when they're drilled...but you know what I mean).

Yes....if you are a bowler that bowls at multiple centers. If not, why would you care?

As we've discussed in other topics...85%??? Is it 85% of bowlers ONLY bowl ONE house. Why in the WORLD would they want to practice somewhere else? They never leave their home center. It's like practicing for a Cello concert by practicing the piano.

So, of the other 15%....yeah, I think bowling in multiple centers and learning how to adjust to different conditions is absolutely important. Travel leagues, sport shot leagues, USBC events, tournaments...I've done em all. I've bowled in more DIFFERENT centers than probably anyone on this site over the past 3 years. I specifically tried to make the rules of the VBT (Virtual Bowling Tour) so that it FORCED players to get out of their comfort zone and bowl at different centers (which made them all whine and threaten to quit of course). But if you are in that 15% that bowls at more than one house for league...which is probably 6% of that 15%...you really just need practice at the house you have the lowest average in. And you only need practice on fresh conditions....league conditions.

BUT...if you're in that last 9%...then yes. If I knew I was staying in California...and could actually find a travel league...I'd LOVE that. I'd prefer that to the sport shot league. And remember, I was IN a sport shot league that changed patterns ever 3 weeks.

Again, it's not about not wanting to practice on varying conditions. I LOVE practicing on varying conditions and testing myself on varying patterns. BUT....a dried up, 17hr bowled on, mess of oil soaked out of the right side of the lane and oil carrydown to the pins from 14hrs of open bowling...and evaporation of the oil in the middle...THAT...is NOT..a PATTERN. It's garbage! It's like telling a football player to practice on an ice rink because, "Hey...ya never know...maybe you play in January and it rained the day before...flooded the field...and then got really cold and froze the field?? Could happen. But that's NOT a pattern.

Like I told the pro shop owner at my last home center...I told him I was leaving (mostly because I moved my residence and am now a 1.5 minute walk from a center), but also because I got sick of the owner of my old center making random decisions that he was going to oil or not oil pre-league....which I complained about twice...and it apparently had no effect. When I told the pro shop owner where I was going to bowl at...he said, "you're going from here to there and you think you'll do better there!?"

And I responded, "It's not about doing better...it's about bowling on a CONSISTENT pattern. If the center wants to put out an easy THS...I'll bowl on that. If the center wants to use the USBC Blue pattern...I'll bowl on that. If the center wants to put out my favorite pattern...the PBA Dick Weber pattern....I'll gladly bowl on that. If the center wants to make MWhite unhappy be deciding to oil a reverse-block pattern...I'll bowl on that. I don't care. I had a 149 average in a sport shot league...my ego is far more sturdy than most bowlers...I don't care if I do badly...as long as I'm bowling and getting better.

But practicing on "garbage"...on beat up, dry, dirty, damaged, uneven...."nonsense"?? That doesn't make me a better bowler...it makes me mad. And again...as I stated in the letter and since...I WANT bowling to be a popular sport again. I really do. BUT...how can I get better without practice? And if I can't practice on oiled lanes.....which mimic the conditions I'm likely to face "when it counts"...then whats the point? I can practice hitting a target 15ft away in my backyard. I can practice my approach in my kitchen (and often do). And I'm getting kind've tired of going to league night and bowling a 140-155 Game 1...because I can't work my line out...because when I last practiced I was standing 5/10 left and missing Brooklyn...now I'm standing 2/4 left and missing the pocket right on fresh conditions. Can I adjust? Sure. After I poo away Game 1...then I'm back to being dialed in...just in time for the lanes to start transitioning.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123