Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do know if my span is too wide?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default How do know if my span is too wide?

I'm pretty sure it is. Had this ball about a month or so, my first new ball since making the comeback. first it started cutting my thumb creese. I had that beveled. Now I feel my fingers hurting, not just the tips the whole 2 fingers. I do feel like I am stretching to get my thumb in. Is there a rule like should your palm be touching the ball/ or should there be some space between the ball and your palm...etc? Also I wonder if the thumb should be moved left or right of where it is now. Hope I explained this enough.

thanks
    Lou
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is. Had this ball about a month or so, my first new ball since making the comeback. first it started cutting my thumb creese. I had that beveled. Now I feel my fingers hurting, not just the tips the whole 2 fingers. I do feel like I am stretching to get my thumb in. Is there a rule like should your palm be touching the ball/ or should there be some space between the ball and your palm...etc? Also I wonder if the thumb should be moved left or right of where it is now. Hope I explained this enough.

thanks
    Lou
    Put a mark on the two fingers you insert into the ball, half way between the two knuckles.

Now put just the thumb into the ball, and lay your fingers across, but not in the finger holes.

The closest edge (not including bevel) of each finger hole should be in line with where you put the mark on each finger.

If you have inserts, use the edge of the hole in the insert, not the actual hole drilled into the ball.

Cranker

Here's a pic of my fingers with a relaxed span of my hand. (don't mind the fingernail, little accident but it doesn't hurt a bit...lol)
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Just going by those pictures, it appears the span is a little long ( looks like about 1/4" maybe).

Just to double check, follow Mikes instructions,

But hold the ball like your going to roll it. So that it settles into your hand, then without moving your hand.

Example:

Rotate the ball back up so you can see where the edge of the holes are in relation to the midpoint between the two joints. (or get a picture form below lik this one.)
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-20-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Just going by those pictures, it appears the span is a little long ( looks like about 1/4" maybe).

Just to double check, follow Mikes instructions,

But hold the ball like your going to roll it. So that it settles into your hand, then without moving your hand.

Example:

Rotate the ball back up so you can see where the edge of the holes are in relation to the midpoint between the two joints. (or get a picture form below lik this one.)

thanks I will do that when I can get someone to take the pic. I can't do that position alone lol. Now are your fingers relaxed or stretched a bit. I'm going to say relaxed.

In your opinion since this ball was just drilled a month ago should the shop charge me to fix it? Really not an issue but I just would like to know if they should fix it free. I would guess the thumb has to be plugged and re drilled
    Last edited by LOUVIT; 07-20-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Now are your fingers relaxed or stretched a bit. I'm going to say relaxed.
    Relaxed, the ball is sitting more naturally like it would when your bowling in that position, your just letting it fall where it naturally would in your hand sort of speak.

remember also you have to check the both fingers. Because those are two different spans, one can be off and the other right on, both off etc.

and that there is only so much that you can tell from a photo, it's not the same as doing it in person.

In your opinion since this ball was just drilled a month ago should the shop charge me to fix it? Really not an issue but I just would like to know if they should fix it free. I would guess the thumb has to be plugged and re drilled
    I can't speak to that, it would all depend on the shop operator. Just go in and talk to him about it.

As to how they fix it, yeah you just plug the hole and redrill it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 55

thanks I will do that when I can get someone to take the pic. I can't do that position alone lol. Now are your fingers relaxed or stretched a bit. I'm going to say relaxed.

I know my PSO would fix it for no charge, at lease for all the regulars - but I would be surprised if he didn't fix any misdrilled ball (although I'm not sure he's ever misdrilled a ball). A friend of mine had a slight adjustment needed for the same reason, and he elected to plug and move the finger holes as to not disturb the IT. Actually, the change in span was due to an injury between the time he measured and the time my friend picked up the ball, but he still fixed it for free.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Cranker

Either way it has to be done. I have to get this ball right before the Storm phaze I won on here shows up and gets drilled. At least now I'm pretty sure the span is too wide for me.

Cranker

wish I had a shop that would take the time to fit me. As I said in another thread I know my span is too long and I know he will just plug and drill the thumb for me without anything else. Since I am new to the shop it seems they just drill and say good...I'll be going tomorrow to see if they will take some time with me. I can't tell them what to do I know nothing about pitch or pap's etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Put a mark on the two fingers you insert into the ball, half way between the two knuckles.

Now put just the thumb into the ball, and lay your fingers across, but not in the finger holes.

The closest edge (not including bevel) of each finger hole should be in line with where you put the mark on each finger.

If you have inserts, use the edge of the hole in the insert, not the actual hole drilled into the ball.
    I have stiff fingers (ie not very flexible) and if I recall correctly my fingers first knuckle is at the further edge of finger hole. And to me that seems to be the way I prefer or at least it doesn't feel wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast