Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you come back to a league?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default How do you come back to a league?

Many of you know I've been out of it for 25+ years. I think I want to do a winter league, Of course I have no average and right now I can shoot a 150 or a 220. What type of league do I look for and how do I get a card and establish an average. I am still not comfortable joining but it's not or never.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    What type of league do I look for
    Since your basically just starting out, look for a beginners league or a Fun league or one that is only mildly competitive. Go to the lanes and checkout the fall schedule, see what they have.

If they have a "Get a Ball" league that wouldn't be bad and you'd get a new ball in the process. A lot of options just have to see what they offer where your at.

and how do I get a card
    when you join a sanctioned league, they hand you a blank USBC form the first night, you fill it out and pays your money. They'll send it in and eventually you'll get a card in the mail.

and establish an average.
    That all depends on the leagues rules for entering averages, if you have no average what so ever. then you usually establish a average that first night after you bowl three games.

Example rules:
    Rule 7. Entering averages of all players shall be determined in the following order:
    a. Average established in this league last season, based on 21 games or more.
    b. Highest average from the previous season in any USBC league, based on 21 games or more.
    c. Current average from another USBC league, based on 21 games or more.
    d. Bowlers who do not have a qualifying average outlined in items a-c will establish their average the
    first session they bowl.
    e. The maximum entering average per team is ______ (delete if this does not apply).
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-21-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Lot of bowling centers have daytime Senior leagues. Ideally you get into a summer league first so your commitment isn't that long or check out the leagues now for opportunites to sub and make connections

Cranker

Bowl 1820.
    that can be dangerous...If I get lucky the first night I can average 200+...But I would guess it would average out with more games.

Ytlas,
    I am already on a summer daytime senior practice league and have been recruited by some people for the real day league in the winter. It's only a buffet as the prize. Really not something to shoot for over 30+ weeks..lol. When I left NY for Florida I tossed all my trophy's for some stupid reason. I had drag racing and bowling trophy's.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

You can look on leaguesecretary.com to see if scores from previous years are posted. That will give you an idea of the scoring and competition level in any league you are considering. Your scoring range seems completely normal for most moderately competitive sanctioned leagues, so I wouldn't worry at all about fitting in if I were you.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by collinwho View Post
    You can look on leaguesecretary.com to see if scores from previous years are posted. That will give you an idea of the scoring and competition level in any league you are considering. Your scoring range seems completely normal for most moderately competitive sanctioned leagues, so I wouldn't worry at all about fitting in if I were you.
    good info, thanks

Pin Crusher

Louvit exactly how old are you?
    Last edited by fordman1; 07-23-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Go to your local bowing center and sign up for a league. Ask them if it is sanctioned. If it is you will be able to get the sanctioning thing done the first or second night of a league. The manager or proprietor will help you find a league and will match you up with a team that needs a member or others who are just starting out at that center. Good luck and good bowling. Don't be shy just DO IT>

Cranker

61 fordman

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    Bowl 1820.
    that can be dangerous...If I get lucky the first night I can average 200+...But I would guess it would average out with more games.
    That happened to me last season, first league ever and first week I averaged 218. Needless to say, my team didn't do well the next 2 weeks. Thankfully, you only carry the average for the first 3 weeks, then they calculate your true average weekly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast